Bug list *spoilers*

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

And another! Think I'm getting pretty close to release of v1 now. I think Ser Cauthrien is going to be my last big fix. Anyways.

I.2. "Nature of the Beast": The Mad Hermit explicitly requires only one werewolf pelt from you, but if you have a stack you give him all of them. Fixed. (Fix tested)

Qwinn

#82 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

Something I encountered recently when playing as a dwarf, and how it was described at the Dragon Age Wiki:

It is not possible to acquire Codex Entry: The Legend of Luthias Dwarfson when playing as a dwarf, the Ash Warrior Leader assumes that all dwarves know the legend in dialog, and the codex entry is never added.

I don't know if you've gone through the other bugs on that list, but I guess it might be worth taking a look at.

#83 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

Yah, I've seen that list, and I think I got most of it (that I can do, anyway). Sure, I'll add getting the codex entry during that dialogue bit.

BTW, I also added removing an infinite approval exploit when getting Oghren's personal quest to the list.

Qwinn

#84 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

Hmmm, looking at it, it wasn't intentional that you can't hear the story from him if you're a dwarf, because *in* the story there are more checks to see if the player is a dwarf (with different replies available for dwarf nobles vs. dwarf commoners). Looks like it's just a missing variable setting. Will fix.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 09 April 2010 - 10:56 AM.

#85 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

Good to know you found the bug. At first I thought the dialogue choice might have been left out for dwarves, but the logic seemed flawed, I mean would every dwarf know the story of Luthias Dwarfson? Obviously not, as it turned out.

#86 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:13 AM

Oh, Dear Lord.... why didn't anyone TELL me about the Crime Wave subquest "Steal the Teyrn's Crown"? I'm trying to think of ways this quest could be more bugged than it is, and can't. What a mess. Fear the unconscious attacking guards from hell!

Be back in a few hours. Yikes.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 10 April 2010 - 04:14 AM.

#87 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:48 AM

So, here's the deal with "Steal the Teyrn's Crown":

I'm guessing the quest is the way it is because they knew it was unfinished and didn't have time to finish it properly. As it stands, you can theoretically get the crown with very high stealth and stealing (although that is buggy too, PC *must* be a rogue and also stealthed even if the character actually sneaking in with the high stealth requirement is Leilana or Zevran), or you can get it via intimidation-then-combat (also bugged, cause you could then steal a second copy), or by just killing them all. Having the trigger go off such that combat is forced on you is the 99% likely outcome of this quest in all events.

However, you could talk to the waitresses and, it seems, disable the guards a number of ways. You can pay to have the waitresses distract them, or pay to get them drunk, or poison their drinks. None of these work, because no matter what, unless (via the rules above) you had VERY high stealth, a trigger at the entrance to the room would make the guards catch you as soon as you walked in, even if they were, in theory, poisoned and unconscious. Oh, by the way, even though they're unconscious, their ambient animations were never stopped so they stood right back up after a few seconds, but really, they *were* supposed to be passed out.

Anyways, I've spent a few hours working the problem, so here's what I've fixed in the quest so far:

1) If the guards are drunk, distracted, or unconscious, they will no longer magically wake up/sober up/pay attention and stop you as soon as you walk in anymore. Now, when you enter the room, you will get specific dialogue (ambient if drunk, full dialogue including waitresses if distracted, nothing if unconscious).

2) If they pass out, their animation will *stay* passed out now. Also, I turned a few of them just before they fall down so they don't fall through the walls anymore.

3) If you got the crown via dialogue (intimidation or, assuming your PC is slow to activate triggers and you can get to the Seneshal before the combat trigger activates, by poisoning their drinks) you could then steal a second copy of the crown or loot it from his corpse. This is fixed, you can't get more than one copy of the crown anymore.

Two remaining issues.

4) The code is clearly intended such that if you made the guards suspicious (one way is to try sneaking in without sufficient stealth), the waitress distraction wouldn't work. In actuality, distraction always succeeds, so will try to fix that.

5) The waitresses aren't actually moved into the room when distracting the guards, which leads to oddness. The dialogue between the guards and waitresses play out, but sometimes even with the camera panning on a moving waitress in the main room. I'm gonna spend an hour or two trying to fix this, but if I can't or it becomes way too much work, I think I will still implement these fixes, as it will still be much superior to the crappy behavior in the vanilla game. The waitresses not being moved is not THAT big a deal, but I'll try to fix it anyway.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 10 April 2010 - 07:52 AM.

#88 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

Well, here's the new deal with that quest. After working a good 24 hours on it, I've gotten it 99% of the way to where I think it should be. All options except for the waitress distraction that didn't work before - getting them drunk or poisoning them - now work great. And the waitress distraction now works 95% of the way... the waitresses *are* moved into the room, and after the initial bit of dialogue everything works perfectly. The only problem is in that initial bit of dialogue. The waitress you talkto say "All right, girls, we've got work to do!", and then it *should* show one of the waitresses distracting one of the guards for four lines of dialogue. But for some reason, the screen is black during those four lines. I've got a forum post over at the Bioware toolset general discussion asking someone to help me fix that. I've gotta believe it *can* be fixed somehow. If it *does* get fixed, then it'll be great, this quest can be considered 100% complete and with 5 fully functional different ways of completing it.

Qwinn

#89 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

Got it working, woohoo! Not sure WHY what I changed made it work, but that's a subject for the Bioware forums. The important part is, I can move *on* from this, and finish the fixpack. Thank God :)

I think folks will really like the fixed/completed quest, though. You get hints at all these neat options in the game, the waitresses' dialogues are basically complete, but then when you go into the room after getting the guards drunk/poisoned/distracted, none of it mattered, they'd just go hostile as soon as you walked in again. Now those various ways to use the waitresses to your advantage *work*, and it's pretty darn neat how they each play out. I'm pretty psyched I got it all working.

Qwinn

#90 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:09 AM

I'd like to make a request of someone who doesn't have problems recording audio out of media player. I would do this myself, but I *am* having serious trouble. Trying to use Audacity but it doesn't show any input sources. Maybe my sound drivers are 32 bit and I'm using a 64 bit operating system? Thing is, I don't feel like messing with a 99% working system, particularly since I don't know the root cause. I'm more inclined to buy a sound card first, and I'd really rather not spend the money, so if someone could help out, for a few minutes, please, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's what I need:

A) Go to Program Files/Dragon Age/modules/single player/audio/vo/en-us/vo. Find the file "den220_pick4_seneshal_grd.fsb". This file can be played by Windows Media Player... it will claim it's an unsupported file type, but give you the option to try anyway, and it will work.

B) You will get a whole bunch of audio strings strung together. I need 4 of those strings as separate wav files. Shouldn't be too hard to do if you can get Audacity or whatever to accept Windows Media Player as an input source (I can't, that's why I can't do this). Here are the 4 voiced strings I need from that file:

1) "I say, what's the meaning of this?"
2) "A robbery? But you... you're the Warden."
3) "Guards! Come back! Come..."
4) "I... uh... here, please, spare me."

That's it. I just need those 4 sound clips from that file as separate .wav files. Can anyone help? I'll be more than happy to extend credit for the help in the Fixpack's readme. If you are willing to, please let me know in this thread before starting on it so we don't get multiple people starting on it. Thanks in advance!

Qwinn

#91 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

I got the sound files you need, just have to cut them up first.

Edit: here http://rapidshare.co...eParts.zip.html

Edited by Darziak, 12 April 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#92 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed, thanks Darziak!

Qwinn

#93 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Urf... for some reason it's not being picked up. Sorry to bug you, Darziak, but... are those lines recorded at PCM 24 kHz 16 bit mono? They need to be, I'm afraid. Sorry I didn't say so before :(

Just to make sure I didn't miss anything ELSE, here's the wiki page describing what the files need. Sorry I didn't provide this before, sigh.

http://social.biowar....php/Voice-Over

Qwinn

PS: Trying to convert them myself to spare you the trouble, no luck so far :( I'll post if I get it working.

Edited by Qwinn, 12 April 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#94 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

I should've thought about asking for the setting. :rolleyes:

Here you go again. http://rapidshare.co...eParts.zip.html

I used audacity to convert to wav, then cut the parts and saving using Sony Vegas.

#95 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Wooohoo, got it working in game :) Thanks tons! Turns out that the wrong format wasn't necessarily the reason they weren't playing, I had a few more steps to do myself that I wasn't aware of, but whatever, it's working now :) And the "Stealing the Teyrn's Crown" quest officially *rocks* now, can't wait till folks play it and try out all the different ways to resolve it, it'll knock yer socks off :)

Qwinn

#96 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

ARRRRRGH. Need ya one more time, Darziak.

The sounds you did for me are now working great, but I just noticed that his OTHER lines, the ones that shouldn't have been affected by all this, are all Robovoice now.

The best way to handle this, I think, is to just redo those remaining lines as .wav files as well, since there's only a few. They're all the lines in "den220_pick4_senshal.fsb", same directory as the guard file.

1. "The service here is atrocious."
2. "How often does he need the blasted thing polished, I ask you."
3. "Thief! Men, attack!"
4. "I feel like I've been hit in the head."

This should *definitely* wrap it all up, I can't imagine what else could go wrong once this is done, heh.

Qwinn

#97 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Linky http://rapidshare.co...neshal.zip.html

#98 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

All working perfectly now, tested every possible path and all looks great. Huge thanks!

RE: Ser Cauthrien, here's how I've decided to handle it:

As many know, in the vanilla game if you wipe out Ser Cauthrien's group, she's dead. And if you surrender right away, you'll meet her before the Landsmeet later. However, if you start the fight, kill Ser Cauthrien and loot her sword, she'll appear before the Landsmeet later and you can kill her for a second copy of what is very obviously supposed to be a unique sword.

I'm not going to change the fact that you can "kill" her in the first battle and, if her side doesn't get wiped out, she appears later. This can reasonably be explained as just that she follows the same rules as your own party does, in which as long as someone on your side survives a battle, all the fallen on your side can be revived. It can be assumed that she is revived following your mid-battle surrender. However, I *am* changing her possession of a second Sword of Summer in that second encounter. If you take her sword during that battle and then surrender, when you meet her again, she will have a normal red steel greatsword.

EDIT: Oh, also, Ser Cauthrien only shows up during the epilogue if you DID kill her just before the Landsmeet, which is obviously backwards. It doesn't check at all if you killed her (I mean really killer her, wiped out her whole side) during Captured! She will now show up only if you did not kill her in either scenario.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 13 April 2010 - 07:46 AM.

#99 Jewels

Jewels
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

Copy and pasted from an old thread on BioWare's forums:

I'm on my second playthrough at the moment and somehow I've managed to activate the Trial of the Crows quest before I've even begun any of the four main Blight quests. I found the boy messenger just standing rather inconspicuously near the top right corner of the Denerim Market District and decided to talk to him. In addition to the generic floaty message response, the Crow quest was triggered completely out of sequence. I was able to talk to Master Ignacio about assassinations whilst he was still standing next to Cesar at the market stall, about subjects that have yet to occur.

As I recall the boy should find you and tell you to speak to Ignacio in the tavern, after Zevran's failure.

#100 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the report, Jewels, hadn't heard about that one :)

Well, I've spent about an hour on it, and gotta say I'm pretty sure they stealth patched that one in 1.03. I can't make it happen, and I tried. Looking at the code, there's a *ton* of condition checks against any of it happening before Zevran attacks you, like overkill checks. I can't see how it could squeeze through all those conditions. I thought it might be done by getting to Crime Wave pickpocketing part 3, because that one spawns the messenger kid also (he can distract the guards), but I couldn't get him to talk to me about Ignacio or the Crows at that point.

If someone can establish that it is still happening after 1.03 I'll be glad to look further into it, but for now I'm going to go with "already stealth patched".

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 13 April 2010 - 07:03 AM.