Bug: Coran repeating a wyvern dialogue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 -honpuss-

-honpuss-

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

i recently downloaded and installed BGT and started a run through. everything was going ok until coran started incessantly repeating his line about how he can't hang around because he has some wyverns to kill. he says it over and over again every second or so. it makes the game unplayable.

i've already finished the wyvern quest according to my journal. i think that coran starts doing this after a particular point in time is reached. it might be the original 10 day limit for doing the quest.

this bug was mentioned (i think) in a previous thread entitled 'Several minor bugs' but i don't understand the comments there. the author of that thread refers to a CORAN.BCS file but i can't find any such file.

any ideas on how to solve this problem would be very much appreciated. cheers.

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:13 AM

It might help if you provide the link to that other thread and also post the contents of your WeiDU.log file.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 -honpuss-

-honpuss-

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:46 AM

It might help if you provide the link to that other thread and also post the contents of your WeiDU.log file.

thanks very much for replying. i found the other thread by searching the forums for 'coran wyvern' getting to this page:

http://www.shsforums...hl=coran wyvern

i'm not at home at the moment but i'll post the WeiDU.log file later.

#4 -honpuss-

-honpuss-

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

and this is the weidu log from my SoA folder:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.08 (26 Nov 09)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #30 // Change Nalia's Avatar to Thief: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1030 // Reveal Wilderness Areas Before Chapter Six: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1036 // Make Cloakwood Areas Available Before Completing the Bandit Camp -> All of Cloakwood Except the Mines: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1040 // Improved Athkatlan City Guard: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1050 // Gradual Drow Item Disintegration: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1130 // Reputation Resets in BG2 (BGT Only): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1161 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash) -> Keep Class Restrictions: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1180 // Female Edwina: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1190 // Romance Bug Fixes: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1200 // Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Expanded Dual-Class Options: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2260 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2270 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2281 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> PnP Table: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2290 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> No Level Progression Changes, Un-Nerfed Druid Spell Table Only (Blucher): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2300 // Triple-Class HLA Tables: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3001 // Higher HP on Level Up -> NWN Style: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v7
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3183 // Romance Cheats: v7

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:11 AM

Could well be

IF
GlobalTimerExpired("Coran","GLOBAL")
InParty(Myself)
!Dead("Wyvern") <--- should be X#CoranWyvern in line with the BG1NPC/BG1UB changes
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride("Coran",Dialogue([PC]))
END

To get rid of this in the game, use the CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("WYVERN") command to make a wyvern and then Ctrl+Y the wyvern. That should stop him yapping on.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:03 AM

That looks like a bug in the vanilla game then, that even BG1UB or BG1NPC doesn't solve, since it only changes the Wyvern's name/death variable. Unless they also do other things, like maybe put a variable check in there so it doesn't loop. I can't see any reference to this in Baldurdash or Dudleyfix either, and I don't recall it from the BG1 Fixpack either though it's possible someone did something about it.

Edit: Actually, shouldn't his dialogue have a LeaveParty() after he says that?

Edited by Miloch, 22 December 2009 - 07:06 AM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

bg1npc removes the block

/* Changing Coran's old leaving timer */
  COPY_EXISTING ~%CORAN_BCS%.bcs~ ~override~
	DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
   REPLACE_TEXTUALLY CASE_INSENSITIVE
	~GlobalTimerExpired("Coran","GLOBAL")~ ~False()~
  COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
  BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

and otherwise matches UB's rebuild.

In both Tutu and BGT conversions (and probably vanilla BG), there is a long-standing ever-repeating bug with Coran's Wyverns that prompted the fix by Ascension 64 - Domi and I both gave it (multiple) attempts and failed at permanent fixes, and Ascension64's repair is the one that works. Definitely something for the BG Fixpackers, Miloch :)

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:22 AM

Eh... I don't get why A64 left the bug in BGT but changed it in BG1UB though. Except maybe that False()ing a vanilla script block isn't really an authentic fix I suppose. If you ask me, that LeaveParty() should be added to his dialogue where he says that line, because it's missing any actions there. Clearly that's what he intended to do (go hunt some wyverns because the party wasn't listening to him). But if you already killed a wyvern, it should check for that in a more certain way than just a !Dead check.

#9 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

Yep, it looks like my theory was correct, at least in this case. It only occurs after you finish the quest but have not killed a DV Wyvern yet. Coran goes into a stutter dialogue, but since all state triggers are false, you get this:
WyvernStutter.JPG

Something I forgot to change last year, I guess.

Note that if you haven't finished Kelddath's quest, Coran will leave as normal, so vanilla BG is not at fault here, and therefore BGFixpack won't need to do anything here.

Now, Tutu will need this as well, so both BG1NPC and BG1UB will need to:
COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%CORAN.BCS~ ~override~
  DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~!Dead("wyvern")~ ~!Dead("X#CoranWyvern")~
  COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
to correct this error.

The BG1UB code now looks like this:
ACTION_IF !("%tutuorbgt%" STRING_EQUAL "BGT") THEN BEGIN //BG and Tutu
  COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%WYVERN.CRE~ ~override/X#CORWYV.CRE~
	WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~X#CoranWyvern~ #32 //script name

COPY_EXISTING ~%CloakwoodWyverns_WyvernCave%.ARE~ ~override~
	READ_LONG 0x54 actorsOff
	READ_SHORT 0x58 actorsNum
	FOR (i = 0; i < %actorsNum%; i += 1) BEGIN
	  READ_ASCII (%actorsOff% + %i% * 0x110 + 0x80) actorResref
	  PATCH_IF !("%actorResref%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "%tutu_var%WYVERN") BEGIN
		WRITE_ASCII (%actorsOff% + %i% * 0x110 + 0x80) X#CORWYV (8)
	  END
	END
  BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%CORAN.BCS~ ~override~
	DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
	REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~!Dead("wyvern")~ ~!Dead("X#CoranWyvern")~
	COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
  BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

ACTION_IF ("%tutuorbgt%" STRING_EQUAL "Tutu") THEN BEGIN //Tutu
	COMPILE EVALUATE_BUFFER ~bg1ub/coran/cpm/Wyvern.d~
  END ELSE BEGIN //BG
	COMPILE ~bg1ub/coran/Wyvern.d~
  END
END

wyvern.d
//Ascension64: makes Coran's wyverns unique
REPLACE_TRIGGER_TEXT %CORAN_JOINED% ~!Dead("Wyvern")~ ~!Dead("X#CoranWyvern")~
ADD_STATE_TRIGGER %tutu_var%KELDDA 6 ~Dead("X#CoranWyvern") InParty("Coran")~

The current wording for the fix (as of BG1UB) is

BG/Tutu: fixed a stutter bug for Coran in the specific scenario that: (i) the player has killed the specific wyverns for the quest, (ii) Coran's timer runs out , and (iii) the player has not yet killed any standard non-specific wyverns yet

It appears that there are issues with trying to finish the quest with BG1NPC, so I'll take a look at this for you as well, cm.

Edit: Hmm, after sleeping over it, BG1NPC need not make any changes to the CORAN.BCS script block, since it falsifies that block anyway. So no need for change from BG1NPC side.

Edited by Ascension64, 25 December 2009 - 04:13 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)