News on version 4.0 release

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

Fitting in what time I can to test while I work on TBH. Also, Ghostdog is helping me test some. Making progress. I hope to release v4.0 as part of K'aeloree's 12 Days of Christmas, so that gives me about a week to finish it off.

I'm not going to delay release for the sake of translations, since there really isn't all that much, but hopefully they'll get done in time for me to fit them in. If not, I can do a mini-release just for them as v4.01 sometime later.

At any rate, while testing I noticed that the behavior of the pickpockets around the Hive - Ash-mantle, Fleece, Yellow-Fingers, the Drunken Harlot - is still flaky. They go hostile when they really shouldn't, they fail to go hostile when they should, they don't always run away properly, etc. Doing a full review and killing all issues with them once and for all.

Also found and fixed a couple dialogue bugs along the way. For example, if you talked to Ash-Mantle and didn't break his cover, then talked to him again, the trigger that tracked whether you'd given him directions or not was reversed. So, if you gave him directions, he'd say "I know you couldn't help me before" and if you didn't give him directions he'd say "I wonder if you could help me again". Fixed.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 31 December 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#22 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

Actually not finding any problems with Fleece atm. Will test some but he's looking okay as he was in v3.0. If someone had issues with him, let me know.

Nother fix: Yellow Fingers, if you talked to him for the first time with both Morte and Annah in your party, was supposed to first make a pass at Annah and then go into his "gimme my skull" dialogue re: Morte, but this wasn't happening due to bad state weights, as the Morte material had priority over Annah's. You'd only get the Annah material if you had her but not Morte in your party. Fixed the state weight priority.

Qwinn

#23 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

Well, here's a rather interesting fix. It concerns the Dustmen mourners in the Hive area outside the mortuary.

At first glance, the dialogue for the male mourners and the female mourners are identical except for their use of pronouns ("he" vs. "she"). (This is true of the male and female dustmen inside the mortuary as well, except that the females' dialogue was missing the Adahn and Chaotic hits that existed in the male dialogue, for no apparent reason, and the Fixpack adds them back in for the females).

Anyways, back to the male and female mourners... they appear identical, but they're not. The males have two additional replies available across all states. One of them is trivial, but the other is pretty huge. That single reply opens up about half their dialogue. The female Dustmen's dialogue contains all that dialogue, but it's all inaccessible because of that one missing reply. I'm adding that reply in to the female's dialogue, as its pretty clear that the missing reply was merely an oversight, and they didn't really intend that half the female mourner's dialogue file would be completely inaccessible.

EDIT: Oops, I take it back, sorta. The above is true, except it's the female dialogue that has the trivial reply. So they're each missing one reply that the other has, but the female's is trivial and the male's opens up half the dialogue. I'll make it so they both have both.

EDIT 2: Okay, actually, it looks to me like the 'trivial' reply in the female's dialogue should be pulled altogether... the mourner's response to that reply is, well, non-responsive and inappropriate. I think what happened here, in both the Mortuary dustmen and the mourner's dialogues, is that the male dialogue was copied and the pronouns replaced at some point to create the female versions, but then future fixes and tweaks were only done to the male files, and the female files missed out on the corrections. So, I'm nixing the trivial reply in the female dialogue and adding the important reply that opens up the rest of the dialogue, as the male dialogue is apparently the only one that got the love after the files were split.

EDIT 3: Another fix: In the male's dialogue (and now in the female as well), you could get a journal entry stating you didn't recognize the name Deionarra even if you'd met her. Fixed.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 01 January 2010 - 11:05 AM.

#24 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:05 AM

You know, it's perfectly permissible to fix additional bugs in a v4.1 release and release v4.0 without- must... one... more... fix...

'M just sayin'. ;-)

#25 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

Eh, only takes a few minutes to fix stuff as I run across them, the time consuming part is in the -testing- of the 4.0 stuff. I'm finding these little new things as I test the 4.0 stuff.

Qwinn

#26 -The Nameless Two-

-The Nameless Two-

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

To all of you modders out there: we really owe you a big one! You are nearly demigods, doing us a great favour, and making one of the best games of all times to a 100% perfection. Hats off...

#27 -Topaze-

-Topaze-

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

ROFL

You know, for some reason your post immediately reminded me of Mr. Wolf's reply to Tarantino's character in the car washing scene in Pulp Fiction. :lol: Sorry, not going to quote that reply here - that would be too much. And please, don't take this as an offense - it's just the association was simply too strong, lol.

Oh, and, of course, I'm also very grateful to all the modders here for what they do and for what they've already done.

#28 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:58 AM

Hannibal:

Just a reminder, please make the Pain Mirror spell available for purchase at some vendors.

I was hoping I'd have time to do something about this before release, but it's not looking like I'm going to be able to, sorry :( If it were properly a fix I'd prioritize it, but as it is it'd have to make it part of either the Tweak Pack or Unfinished Business. I already had plans for a future release to do a UB mod that would make available to the player some spells that are currently only usable by your enemies (Conflagration, etc.). When I do so, I will implement your request as part of it. Sorry that I couldn't squeeze it into this release. :(

Qwinn

#29 -Syvere-

-Syvere-

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

Hannibal:

Just a reminder, please make the Pain Mirror spell available for purchase at some vendors.

I was hoping I'd have time to do something about this before release, but it's not looking like I'm going to be able to, sorry :( If it were properly a fix I'd prioritize it, but as it is it'd have to make it part of either the Tweak Pack or Unfinished Business. I already had plans for a future release to do a UB mod that would make available to the player some spells that are currently only usable by your enemies (Conflagration, etc.). When I do so, I will implement your request as part of it. Sorry that I couldn't squeeze it into this release. :(

Qwinn

So when's the release, if one may ask? Just got the new DVD edition so I'm itching to get to play this gem again since release I believe.

#30 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hopefully in the next couple days. "Couple" maxing out at three. Hopefully.

Qwinn

#31 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

I already had plans for a future release to do a UB mod that would make available to the player some spells that are currently only usable by your enemies (Conflagration, etc.). When I do so, I will implement your request as part of it. Sorry that I couldn't squeeze it into this release. :(

Qwinn

I actually don't mind that there are unique spells in-game that only special NPCs have access to. (Conflagration is Ignus', right?) I can understand making them available as a Tweak Pack component, however.

Pain Mirror, on the other hand, is a rather minor spell that you can legally get in the original game, but you'd have to really go out of your way to do so. I. e., not learning magic from Mebbeth, but to wait until you can talk to Lady Thorncombe (sic?) in the Clerk's Ward. I'd really like it to be more accessible outside of a general all-spells tweak.

It's not a huge deal that it didn't make the cut this time. If one really wants it, there's always Shadowkeeper.

#32 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

I think Conflagration is the TO's spell (it's the movie spell with the spectre that comes tearing up from Hell). I'm not sure if Ignus' Fury is ever used (maybe in the end fight)?

Qwinn needs to finally grace us with a list of all the spells that aren't normally accessible (it's always ", etc." this and ", etc." that). :-)

#33 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

Added roughly 9 items to the changelog in post 2 of this thread.

Qwinn

#34 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

Some dialogue fixes in the brothel:

Talking to all of the brothel patrons, as well as Kesai, you could say "I've talked to nine prostitutes" without ever talking to Dolora.

Talking to Luis, you could say "I've talked to nine prostitutes" without ever talking to Vivian.

Qwinn

#35 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Pestle Kiln's stringhead greeting as you enter his shop will no longer be instantly overwritten by his twitching.

Qwinn

#36 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

A bug in Dimtree's dialogue meant that if you didn't figure out what Dimtree was on your first conversation with him, you never could again. This is because the condition on one of his replies in his subsequent-conversation state was the exact opposite of what it should have been. It also made it where, on subsequent conversations with him, if you didn't accept his quest the first time through, you would be run through the entire 'finding out what he is' sequence a second time, which wasn't intended.

Credit to Ghostdog for spotting this one :)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 10 January 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#37 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Today's a productive day so far :) Fixed a few bugs in Reekwind's dialogue. I forget who reported this, but yes, Reekwind set most variables related to the stories he tells you when he writes all of them in your journal, but it was missing the most important one that opens up a dialogue with Ignus about you being his teacher. I checked the journal entry he gives you, and it -does- cite the information you need to talk to Ignus about it, so that variable not being set was clearly an oversight.

Also, there's a variable called "Loop" that was meant to prevent a loop in his dialogue when talking about Murdersense, but some errors caused it to not do a very good job of it. Fixed.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 10 January 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#38 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

Someone reported this as well, and it is now fixed: Once Ignus is freed, you will no longer be able to ask the various Smoldering Corpse Bar resident "Who's that burning over by the doorway?".

Qwinn

#39 gothemasticator

gothemasticator
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

Qwinn, these fixes are great. Several are the type of thing I notice but just ignore and go on, and I never think to report them. But what a difference it will make to have a playthrough minus a whole bunch of minor glitches. Thanks for all your work.

gothemasticator

#40 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Woooohooo! I think I've finally nailed one of the most annoying graphical glitches in the game... if I got this right, and I think I did, the really large gears in the northeast wall of the Foundry will no longer disappear leaving big black holes in the wall of the main foundry area :)

I even tested the murder investigation cutscene, and the gears are properly stopping during that cutscene, and restarting afterwards :) Previously, you'd see half a body sticking out of black holes in the wall during that cutscene.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 10 January 2010 - 06:19 PM.