Unlikely mod idea - more IWD2 companions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:00 AM

After completing my second play through of Dragon Age: Origins the other day, I decided to play something else so that I didn't burn myself out. On a whim, I decided to fire up Icewind Dale II and play with Domi's wonderful IWD2 Companions mod. It was awesome. For me, it's definitely up there as one of the greatest IE modding achievements, and I wish it got the attention it deserved in the community.

For some unknown reason, I decided to think about the characters I would have liked to make if I had created the mod myself. I jotted down some ideas, and carried on playing. I thought that would be the end of it. But then, I made the characters in the game, to get a feel for them. And then I create detailed back stories for them all. Then I started to write banters and talks for them. And that's the stage I am at now.

I'm really enjoying myself. It's been a lot of fun, so far, and an interesting experience, to see how difficult it is to write branched dialogues. But I digress. THIS MOD WILL NEVER COME TO BE. I'll say that straight off, just to nip it in the bud. I couldn't mod a simple NPC into BG2, let alone 12 into IWD2, which is much harder system to work with! So why am I bothering to tell you about this, then? Well, I have a question. An irrelevant one, when I think about it, but I'm going to ask it anyway, just so I can get on with my writing.

Which character would you prefer to see for as F/F romance option?

I've got three characters in mind, but I really have no idea which one would be the most appropriate/appreciated (again, a moot point because this will never happen). Let me give you a brief overview of the three characters I have in mind.

Alysse - Feisty Noble Warrior - Chaotic Good

Alysse is the daughter of one of the wealthiest merchant families in Amn. She didn't fit in with her other sisters - she didn't sew or play the harp or want to talk about boys. She wanted to learn to fight with a sword, and become a noble warrior-woman. Eventually, her father realised she would never submit to his wishes and allowed her to train in secret. She set out on her own a few years ago and has made a name for herself as a competent female warrior.

Her romance arc will revolve around the fact she worries that her warrior training has made her less of a woman. She doesn't fill out her dresses the way real ladies do, and she can easily overpower most of the men she meets. She doesn't want to die alone, and she thinks her loud mouth and hot head will end up driving people away.

Katelyn - Cute Sorceress-Ex-Whore - True Neutral

Like her mother before her, Katelyn had to sell herself at a young age to get by, so she knows how rough life can be. And yet, she's still managed to maintain some semblance of optimism all these years. Her magical powers are largely untamed, and tend to be excited in stressful situations. The other girls became scared of her, and an unfortunate accident with an aggressive customer meant that she had to flee to safety. Her mother convinced one of the sailors aboard the Wicked Wench to allow Katelyn passage north.

A romance with her will be about experiencing life to the fullest. If she was one of the M/F options, it would also involve Katelyn gradually learning to trust men. Her experiences have left her wary.

Kaye - Flirtatious and Deceptive Demarch of Mask/Rogue - Neutral Evil

She reveals very little about herself, but does so in a way that makes you feel as if you know her. She's gregarious, glib and outrageously flirtatious. She acts sweet and happy-go-lucky on the surface, but she is an extremely resourceful woman. She is a manipulator. She always gets what she wants. She twists a conversation so it serves her own needs. And yet she's utterly adorable.

I want two different paths for Kaye's romance. One involves a naïve PC, in which Kaye 'pours out her heart', and makes the PC feel as if they are getting to know the real her. She will eventually reveal how she has manipulated the PC into doing everything she wishes from the start, without even realising. The other involves Kaye trying to act all sweet and innocent, but a more experienced PC seeing through her façade, and calling her out on it. If the romance is still pursued, Kaye reveals her true self over the course of the dialogues.

Yeah, so I wanted to write a romance with a character that was strictly available for the same gender. I just don't know who would be best. I don't really think Katelyn would work, but I would like to hear your opinions. So? Care to indulge me?

(No idea where to put this. Sorry!)

Edited by Crazee, 25 December 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#2 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:56 AM

Don't give up hope. I've been poking on and off at a single NPC for over two years now, some have done it for a lot longer, but I'll get done. Some day. I promise. I hope.

I would say Kaye. There's not enough evil romances in fandom for any of the IE games, and especially not well-written ones. (Of course, there are NEVER enough well-written romances.)

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#3 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:32 AM

You may even find coding it up fun, and Domi has the file structures intact/tested/released in a working mod, and she is very aminable to questions, and folks at the various ie communities can help...

If you are having fun, never say never.

I think you should write the F/F companion you would most enjoy writing for. Don't bother writing for an audience of more than one - you can always ask for feedback and expand her later.

#4 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

All of these sound great, but I'd probably enjoy playing Katelyn most. I'd play it as a male PC, but that's just because I happen to like playing male PCs, and I'd really enjoy the romance arc you have mapped out. Also, you've got a clear idea of how Katelyn fits into IWD2. Not so much for the other two. So you've got her personality, her motivations, her romance track and her place in the world planned. That's a pretty solid start for any NPC. She could probably work as a F/F romance, too, but it sounds like you're planning her as a M/F romance, and I've found it easiest to go with the flow.

I'd really hate to see this idea die. You can do it. Heck, I could do it, and that's saying something.

Like cmorgan says, though, you would be better off focusing on one, and that one should be the one you feel most strongly about, because it would give you the best possibility for success.

And like cmorgan says, you could always follow Domi's model. Get to know her code. And... if you'll allow it... I'll offer some pointers of my own on how to make this more than just a wish.

1) Get Near Infinity. Point it at your Icewind Dale II installation and start reading dialogues. Learn which dialogues go with which characters and which situations throughout the game. Identify places where you think your girl would have something to say. I'm not sure if timers in IWD2 work quite so well, and IWD2 has no override script (more on that later), so you're better off running your dialogues off game dialogues, rather than on a timer.

2) Get WeiDU. Decompile the dialogues you have identified in step one and find the state numbers you want to extend with your NPC's dialogue. It will be different than the ones you see in NI, but NI is wrong, not WeiDU.

3) Look at what Domi is doing, how she is starting dialogues. She's using EXTEND_BOTTOM to trigger dialogues. That's because that's about the only way to do it. That also means that you really can't have your girl say anything in places where any of Domi's characters speak. At least you can't do this without disabling those dialogues. The game engine reads from the top down when finding states, but it reads individual states from the bottom up, so the last thing added will be the one that plays. Clear as mud?

4) Read about coding. If you're looking at Domi's code, it should all make sense to you fairly soon. Not only is Domi good about commenting her code, but since it's all so similar, you won't have to learn many variations. You'll never have to fool with a lot of the scripting that makes the BG2 engine so tricky to mod. OK, you won't be able to do the complex stuff you can do with BG2, but players will never miss it. You didn't.

5) Ask for help whenever you need it. There are plenty of modders, cmorgan and myself included, that love helping out new modders who focus on dialogue. Neither of us are really into items, kits, or other stuff, but that won't matter, because there are lots of other modders who are good at that.

6) Think about including your NPC in IWD2 NPC. Domi has said before that she'd include other NPCs, as long as they were well-written with varied PC choices. From what I've seen of your writing, you'll be fine. Ask your testers (you'll have plenty, never fear!) if they feel your PC responses are varied enough.

Now get to work! :cheers:

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#5 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

Don't give up hope. I've been poking on and off at a single NPC for over two years now, some have done it for a lot longer, but I'll get done. Some day. I promise. I hope.

I would say Kaye. There's not enough evil romances in fandom for any of the IE games, and especially not well-written ones. (Of course, there are NEVER enough well-written romances.)

Yeah, I really enjoy writing Kaye, from what little I've done so far. She's a lot of fun. She'd work as a M/F or F/F romance, too. Thanks for the encouragement!

You may even find coding it up fun, and Domi has the file structures intact/tested/released in a working mod, and she is very aminable to questions, and folks at the various ie communities can help...

If you are having fun, never say never.

I think you should write the F/F companion you would most enjoy writing for. Don't bother writing for an audience of more than one - you can always ask for feedback and expand her later.

I've looked through Domi's files before, just taking a peek, and I was very impressed with how easily I understood it. Having looked at all of the coding tutorials, it was at least vaguely familiar to me. Very neat and tidy. That gave me hope. I'm certainly up for trying, anyhow!

All of these sound great, but I'd probably enjoy playing Katelyn most. I'd play it as a male PC, but that's just because I happen to like playing male PCs, and I'd really enjoy the romance arc you have mapped out. Also, you've got a clear idea of how Katelyn fits into IWD2. Not so much for the other two. So you've got her personality, her motivations, her romance track and her place in the world planned. That's a pretty solid start for any NPC. She could probably work as a F/F romance, too, but it sounds like you're planning her as a M/F romance, and I've found it easiest to go with the flow.

I'd really hate to see this idea die. You can do it. Heck, I could do it, and that's saying something.

Like cmorgan says, though, you would be better off focusing on one, and that one should be the one you feel most strongly about, because it would give you the best possibility for success.

Yes, I'll probably try and focus on one of the NPCs, see how I cope with it, and then resume work on the rest later. I started out ambitiously because I didn't think I would ever seriously try to make anything of my scribblings, but I've just been enjoying myself so much, there's no harm in trying.

1) Get Near Infinity. Point it at your Icewind Dale II installation and start reading dialogues. Learn which dialogues go with which characters and which situations throughout the game. Identify places where you think your girl would have something to say. I'm not sure if timers in IWD2 work quite so well, and IWD2 has no override script (more on that later), so you're better off running your dialogues off game dialogues, rather than on a timer.

2) Get WeiDU. Decompile the dialogues you have identified in step one and find the state numbers you want to extend with your NPC's dialogue. It will be different than the ones you see in NI, but NI is wrong, not WeiDU.

3) Look at what Domi is doing, how she is starting dialogues. She's using EXTEND_BOTTOM to trigger dialogues. That's because that's about the only way to do it. That also means that you really can't have your girl say anything in places where any of Domi's characters speak. At least you can't do this without disabling those dialogues. The game engine reads from the top down when finding states, but it reads individual states from the bottom up, so the last thing added will be the one that plays. Clear as mud?

4) Read about coding. If you're looking at Domi's code, it should all make sense to you fairly soon. Not only is Domi good about commenting her code, but since it's all so similar, you won't have to learn many variations. You'll never have to fool with a lot of the scripting that makes the BG2 engine so tricky to mod. OK, you won't be able to do the complex stuff you can do with BG2, but players will never miss it. You didn't.

5) Ask for help whenever you need it. There are plenty of modders, cmorgan and myself included, that love helping out new modders who focus on dialogue. Neither of us are really into items, kits, or other stuff, but that won't matter, because there are lots of other modders who are good at that.

6) Think about including your NPC in IWD2 NPC. Domi has said before that she'd include other NPCs, as long as they were well-written with varied PC choices. From what I've seen of your writing, you'll be fine. Ask your testers (you'll have plenty, never fear!) if they feel your PC responses are varied enough.

Thanks for all the advice, berelinde! I can't tell you how encouraging it is to know there will be people around to ask for help. That's what I love about the IE modding community - everyone's so supportive and friendly.

I'll be sure to get NI as soon as possible. I downloaded it a few years ago, just toying around with it, and it's an extremely useful and interesting tool. I don't remember looking at any IWD dialogue before, but I'm quite excited about going through it, daunting though the task may be. I noticed just the other day how IWD2 did a much better job than the BG series at providing good PC responses. There's little touches, like specific dialogue for the different types of cleric, that really add to the overall experience. Hopefully I'll be able to find even more in NI.

When (or if) I get this developed to a point where I think the end is in sight, I certainly shall contact Domi in regards to adding my character(s) to the IWD2 NPC Project. The quality of her dialogue is really top-notch, so I doubt my own would compare, but hopefully it wouldn't be glaringly obvious!

See, now while I appreciate the support, you guys have gone and got me thinking seriously about this. Shame on you! Anyway, I might as well reveal all the characters I have planned. I'd like to know which you think I should work on first. I'll probably just see which one comes to me easiest, but hey, I'd like to see what you think about them, anyway. Prepare for epic lengthiness. Apologies in advance!

Kwalu - Human Male Ranger - True Neutral

Born and raised in the treacherous heart of the Chultan jungles, Kwalu was forced to leave the protection of his clan when he killed the son of the most senior member of the clan council. Following a rough trip north, Kwalu found himself abandoned and alone in the city of Luskan, an alien environment full of depravity the likes of which he could not understand. With no money to his name, and with little else to do, Kwalu booked passage on the Wicked Wench, hoping that farther north he might find some measure of direction or purpose. On the surface, he appears distant and aloof, but beneath it all lies a lost man in desperate need of a friendly face and a helping hand.

Alysse - Human Female Fighter - Chaotic Good

As a child, Alysse de'Erlin was a spirited young girl, sooner to be found with grazed knees and a wooden sword pilfered from one of her brothers than an embroidery needle or a book in hand. The fifth child of seven, Alysse had little in common with her other sisters, and despite much effort on behalf of her mother and tutors, she paid little attention to etiquette. Recognising early on that she would never (wilfully) submit to an arranged marriage, her father, head of a powerful mercantile house, agreed to let Alysse be tutored in the art of swordplay in secret. When she left her family to strike out on her own, she travelled for a while, earning a small degree of renown as a competent female warrior. Finding herself in Luskan, and upon hearing the call for aid from Targos, Alysse decided to lend her blade to the cause.

Davron - Human Male Fighter/Wizard - Chaotic Evil

Davron was once a respected mercenary soldier, who fought and led various skirmishes across the length and breadth of Faerun. His was a well-known figure within his company for being an unmatched strategist and tactician, and though few could say they liked the man, all would say they respected his quick mind and skilled sword hand. A relatively insignificant battle on the Thethyrian border led to the discovery of a lost archive of texts from ancient Netherese detailing the practice of necromancy. Recognising the significance of the find, Davron ordered most of his men to report their discovery to a higher-ranking official within the merchant company. He stayed behind to safeguard the library. Upon their return, Davron's men were greeted with a gruesome sight; a dismembered wolf cub lay rotting in a pool of dried blood, and a number of the manuscripts were gone, as was Davron himself. Where he went in the following years remains a mystery, but he recently found himself in Luskan, and for whatever unknown reason, decided to join the fight against the goblin horde threatening Targos.

Katelyn - Human Female Sorcerer - True Neutral

Born the daughter of a Luskan whore and one of her clientele, the only life Katelyn has ever known is one of hardship and adversity. Forced to sell herself at a young age, she quickly learned to accept her lot in life and do what must be done to survive. At the onset of adolescence, Katelyn's magical aptitude started to manifest. She would find that any rush of intense emotion could result in unexpected releases of pent up magic. This was a traumatic experience, and the other prostitutes, among whom she'd been raised, started to fear and shun her. Magic was something none of them could understand, least of all Katelyn herself. Fearful for her own life, Katelyn's mother convinced one of the sailors on the Wicked Wench, a vessel headed towards Targos, to stow Katelyn aboard the ship. With no other option, Katelyn had little choice but to head north, and hope she could find a means of surviving.

Belgren - Shield Dwarf Male Rogue - Lawful Neutral

Possessing a dexterity rarely associated with the dwarven race, Belgren is an accomplished rogue and a fiercely loyal Shadow Thief. Taken from the streets of Amn and raised alongside other vagrant children, Belgren believes he owes his entire life to the Shadow Thieves. His sheer skill and commitment ensured he rose quickly through the ranks of the organisation, and Belgren has now been charged with the task of heading north and establishing a base of operations. He will not say why he has joined Targos' war efforts, but he seems almost obsessively eager to help people.

Eladora - Half-Elf Female Monk/Sorcerer - Lawful Evil

Eladora is a half-elf from Silverymoon who is part of a secretive organisation known as the Order of the Dark Moon. She remembers little of her life before she was left at the monastery, but she claims this is how it should be. She reveals little of herself to anyone, and her intentions for travelling north remain a mystery to all but herself and her superiors. She rarely speaks of her devotion to Shar, but the intensity with which she prays to her god suggests that she is a fiercely devoted individual.

Kaye - Tiefling Female Demarch of Mask/Rogue - Neutral Evil

Kaye, a mischievous tiefling, is a dedicated worshipper of Mask, The Lord of Shadows. Intelligent and quick-witted, she staves off any personal questions with a light-hearted joke and a coquettish wink. She says she was born and raised on a farm hold outside of Waterdeep, but that she decided to leave her old life behind and take to the life of an adventurer. Beyond this, she reveals little. Her infectious laugh and playful demeanour give an impression of youth and innocence, but there is a clever gleam to her eye that indicates a certain degree of savvy.

Finn Eckleberry - Lightfoot Halfling Male Druid - Neutral Good

The wandering halfling Finn Eckleberry is an approachable young druid who hails from an unimportant halfling community a small distance east of Neverwinter. Before he left, Finn was a well respected member of his community, and was set to take over leadership of the town from his mother, the current Elder. Worried that he still had much to learn, Finn's mother sent her son out into the world to experience life to its fullest. He is what is known as a 'whistler' - a druid who can control the wind and the rain by whistling, and he hopes that adventuring will give him the chance to exercise the talents his mother has taught him.

Natalia - Moon Elf Female Diviner - Lawful Good

Natalia is a gentle and soft-spoken elf who has come to aid Targos against the amassing goblin hordes because she claims to have had a vision of what is to come. She is older than she looks, and has a motherly disposition that endears people to her. She has lived a long time, and understands that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the individual, but she tries to aid people however she can.

Gnasher - Deep Gnome Male Barbarian - Chaotic Neutral

Gnasher is a ferocious sverfneblin whose presence on the surface remains a mystery. He switches from aggressive to docile without a moment's notice, and this gives him a feral quality that people find extremely unnerving. He does not speak any recognisable surface language, though as he spends more time among others, his vocabulary seems to be improving. In battle, Gnasher sends himself into a berserker rage and charges headfirst into the front lines, no matter the size or skill of his opponent.

Henric - Human Male Paladin of Mystra - Lawful Good

Henric was raised away from others, by a couple of love-struck mages who had been forced to escape the Host Tower of the Arcane in Luskan. Though he had little talent for it himself, he inherited their love of magic, and was allowed to join the Knights of the Mystic Fire, a group of paladins dedicated to serving Mystra. Officially, he has travelled to the Ten Towns to try and discover magical artefacts that have been left over from a time long forgotten, though Henric believes that his superiors were really looking for any excuse to send him away.

Erahn - Half-Elf Male Bard/Rogue - Chaotic Good

Friendly and optimistic, Erahn is an easygoing half-elven bard who has decided to journey to the Spine of the World and beyond in search of adventure and inspiration. He loves to entertain people with stories and with music, and he one day dreams of becoming the hero of his own tale. He has been part of numerous adventuring parties before, but all of them have ended rather gruesomely. He is quite confident that this is mere coincidence, however.

That's it, thank goodness. I got a little carried away. Some of the characters are a lot stronger in my mind than others, but some of the concepts I simply adore. I made up a little questionnaire for the characters to answer (with questions such as 'What is your favourite food?', 'What is your opinion on good and evil?', 'If you were an animal, what would you be?' and the like) and it really helped me develop their voices. I'd post them, too, but they're epically long, and it'd probably bore you.

Kaye, Alysse and Henric were probably the three that came easiest to me, so I'll probably focus on one of them. I really like Katelyn, Gnasher, Belgren and Kwalu as character concepts, though. I'm less fond of Davron, Eladora, Finn and Erahn. It's difficult for me to get into the 'evil' mindset for starters, but I want to make them the interesting sort of evil (like Domi's Salomeya, who is a masterpiece), not the DEATHBLOODGORE sort. I also don't want Eladora to be too similar to Viconia. Worshipping Shar is their only connection, but Shar is such a huge part of Eladora's character, there's definitely a risk. I do think if she was developed right, she'd be really interesting to have around. As for Erahn and Finn, they're just the characters I thought looked good on paper, but didn't really speak to me.

Yeah, so ... yeah. At the very least, it's good to order my thoughts.

#6 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:18 PM

Kwalu: My first thought on reading this was "OMG, this guy is going to be so cold, coming up from Chult." So you should be able to get a few banters out of that, anyway. But a non-native ranger is interesting. Would he be any use to the party, though, since he's so far out of his element?

Alysse: Not sure. Unless you're thinking of revising Forgotten Realms lore, there's no gender bias in Faerun. Kara-Tur is a completely different story, as I found out when researching a probably-will-be-abandoned project for an IWD-in-BG2 conversion. In Faerun, there's no historical reason women can't be fighters, but Kara-Tur has much more rigidly defined gender roles. So your "rebel princess" might need to come from somewhere other than Faerun... though on reflection, Cormyr, the cultural equivalent of medieval France, might be so deeply entrenched in romanticism that female fighters would be unusual.

Davron: At first read, I couldn't spot what would make him a fighter/mage instead of just a regular fighter, but now I see where you're going with that. Is there a betrayal in this guy's future?

Katelyn: I already said that I like this one. Sure, a worldly woman with a jaded outlook seeing the world through fresh eyes is a bit of a cliche, but it still works.

Belgren: a lawful neutral rogue? Interesting...

Kaye: You're going to have to be really, really careful here. " Her infectious laugh and playful demeanour give an impression of youth and innocence, but there is a clever gleam to her eye that indicates a certain degree of savvy." It looks like you're really, really fond of this one. You may have to make sure you aren't *too* fond of her. When you set out to make a character charming, it doesn't always work out that way.

Finn: Yay, halflings! And yay halfings in unusual roles. But you're going to have to give him a custom kit, that's for sure, and I don't know how that works in IWD2.

Natalia: Wynne? Dunno. On the one hand, lots of people like Wynne. On the other, it's real easy to make her sound preachy.

Gnasher: A gnome barbarian?!? Sheer awesome. Love it to itty bitty bits. Though I don't know about his lack of spoken language on joining.

Henric: Heh. You know, the only paladin I ever tried to write was for that same probably-will-be-abandoned project, and his superiors sent him to the Ten Towns because it was far away. But that doesn't mean I don't like the idea. I like it very much. Also, making him a paladin of Mystra is cool. It's nice to see a paladin of a god other than the big three paladin gods: Torm, Tyr, and Helm.

Edit: looks like I forgot a couple. And yeah, if you want an evil cleric, your choices are kind of limited. I don't know when IWD2 is set relative to BG1, but if it's set before, you can't have Cyricists because Cyric didn't become a god until right before BG1.

Anyway, you've got a lot on your plate. Of the ones you've posted, I probably like Katelyn and Henric most.

Edited by berelinde, 24 December 2009 - 05:32 PM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#7 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback, berelinde. Those were just the rough character concepts I thought I'd share; I very much doubt I shall carry on with a fair few of them. Once I came up with a few, I just couldn't stop myself.

Kwalu: My first thought on reading this was "OMG, this guy is going to be so cold, coming up from Chult." So you should be able to get a few banters out of that, anyway. But a non-native ranger is interesting. Would he be any use to the party, though, since he's so far out of his element?

Well, I assumed a ranger would have rudimentary skills that are useful in all environments. At the very least, it could make for an interesting conversation, I suppose! Kwalu was the first character I came up with - I thought he'd tie in quite nicely, considering the party travels to Chult at Kuldahar. So far, all I've got written for him is his exploratory questionnaire thing, and a conversation. It's about how cold the north is, actually!

Alysse: Not sure. Unless you're thinking of revising Forgotten Realms lore, there's no gender bias in Faerun. Kara-Tur is a completely different story, as I found out when researching a probably-will-be-abandoned project for an IWD-in-BG2 conversion. In Faerun, there's no historical reason women can't be fighters, but Kara-Tur has much more rigidly defined gender roles. So your "rebel princess" might need to come from somewhere other than Faerun... though on reflection, Cormyr, the cultural equivalent of medieval France, might be so deeply entrenched in romanticism that female fighters would be unusual.

I had this exact same train of thought, actually. I think there might be a way of changing her back story, but keeping her personality roughly the same. If I made her, I still like the idea of exploring the relationship between powerful women and femininity. Even if Faerun doesn't care if a warrior is male or female, men are often intimidated by fearsome women, especially ones who are physically strong. She could still be a nobleman's daughter, too - just cut out the 'in secret' part, and maybe mention that she refused to be part of an arranged marriage. A little cliche, of course, but it could still work.

Davron: At first read, I couldn't spot what would make him a fighter/mage instead of just a regular fighter, but now I see where you're going with that. Is there a betrayal in this guy's future?

Making him in the game, I made him twice - once as a warrior, and once as a mage (with slightly different stats). RP-wise, it's a little iffy. He's supposed to be experienced. I pictured him as fairly old, for an adventurer. But you've got to work within the game's limitations, I guess.

Kaye: You're going to have to be really, really careful here. " Her infectious laugh and playful demeanour give an impression of youth and innocence, but there is a clever gleam to her eye that indicates a certain degree of savvy." It looks like you're really, really fond of this one. You may have to make sure you aren't *too* fond of her. When you set out to make a character charming, it doesn't always work out that way.

You're right, of course. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a writer goes on about their character's "charisma". More often then not, they end up falling short. Of course, a simple way around this is to avoid ever actually using the words "cute" or "charming" when describing her. Let the player (or player's character) decide what she's like, by looking at the dialogue. I'll make sure to watch myself, though. The last thing I want to do is build her up too much.

Natalia: Wynne? Dunno. On the one hand, lots of people like Wynne. On the other, it's real easy to make her sound preachy.

Argh, I thought someone might mention that. Before Dragon Age came out, I had been hoping to see a kindly old woman companion for BG2, but it never came to be. I always wanted to make a Mrs. Cragmoon mod, actually. Fully with a side quest involving finding her a pair of Gauntlets of Dexterity. Anyway, you're right. She's not quite as old as Wynne, of course. But I'm not that fond of Natalia in the first place. One of the weaker concepts to begin with.

Gnasher: A gnome barbarian?!? Sheer awesome. Love it to itty bitty bits. Though I don't know about his lack of spoken language on joining.

One of the things I love about IWD2 is that I can make completely illogical race/class decisions. Then I get to think up interesting RP reasons. Love love love it. Anyway, I spent ages deliberating over his speech. It will probably be a nightmare which will require a complete overhaul, especially as I don't really like it when actions are described in the middle of a dialogue. Eh. I'll have a think.

Henric: Heh. You know, the only paladin I ever tried to write was for that same probably-will-be-abandoned project, and his superiors sent him to the Ten Towns because it was far away. But that doesn't mean I don't like the idea. I like it very much. Also, making him a paladin of Mystra is cool. It's nice to see a paladin of a god other than the big three paladin gods: Torm, Tyr, and Helm.

I like Henric (in my head), but I do worry he might be infringing on Domi's Nord's territory. I want him to be different from the boring old paladin stereotype (which I don't tend to mind, actually, but that's beside the point). He's flirty and friendly. A head-in-the-cloud type, but with a good heart, and a strong sense of justice. Hmm. I need to spend more time with his character before I completely brush him aside, though.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read through all my ramblings. I'm not normally so long-winded, I swear! I hope everyone is have/having/has had a merry Christmas/holiday.

Edited by Crazee, 25 December 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

I'd be interested in following your progress through this. IWD2 doesn't get the recognition that it should. It's a great game. It's just too bad that IWD2 NPC came out so long after it was released.

You have to keep in mind that you're not going to be in competition with Domi on this one. Yes, Domi is a phenomenal writer. Yes, the NPCs introduced by the IWD2 NPC Project are great, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for more. And no matter how good a writer *anyone* is, it's always good to have NPCs that are written by different authors. As a writer, you can try to give your NPCs different "voices" and personalities, but your own priorities are going to come through. They manifest in your manner of writing, which words you use in which situations, and even what you think is important for your NPCs to talk about. No matter how much you try to distance yourelf from your NPCs, some of it is going to leak though. An example: 'Domi would have done a fabulous job expanding Casavir's romance. She's a better writer than I am. Had she done it, it would probably have turned out very different than the one I wrote just because she would have focused on different aspects of his personality, the ones that interested her. Which is why it was probably a good idea for different people to do the bulk of the writing for each of the different NPCs.

berelinde's mods

#9 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

Nord by Domi was one of the most awesome Paladin I've ever seen, and I personally dislike paladins at all! (Because my brother always become a Lawful Neutral Fighter/Lawful Good Paladin in every game we played together, BG, IWD, NWN... He always policed me from killing wrongly!!!)

While the NPC projects for IWD series are always interesting, especially IWDII, Domi was a successful writer in my humble opinion, but one thing that kept me from playing the awesomeness over and over again was-

The lagging when you turn AI on just for them to banter and such... It was painful and stalling, with the problem at hand (IWDII NPC Creation) not fixed, I think I may lay off such huge mod for the time being.
I am: Human-Essentric (Halflings/Gnomes/Dwarves/Tieflings are favored)
Fetish: Backstab Ability (That includes Blackguards!)
Alignment: Mainly Any Evil and, to some extent, Chaotic Neutral
Nemesis:
Aasimar (Unless s/he's evil like Belueth the Calm)
Elf (I just don't like those pointy ears)
Paladin (You could guess why)
Weapon of Choice:
Short Sword/Thrown Daggers + Buckler

#10 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

Well, after my holidays were over, progress, unsurprisingly, slowed to a complete halt. Due to the highly unlikely probability of this idea ever getting finished, I've decided to post all information here, just because it might as well be shared. Again, a loooooooot of writing is to follow, so feel free to scroll.

Surveys

/Belgren

What is your name, and what do you do for a living?

The name's Belgren, and I'll thank ye not to forget it. I guess there's no harm in tellin' you I work fer the Shadow Thieves, but if I hear you repeating it, I'll gut ye like a fish.

Do you have any family. Where did you grow up?

I don't like all these questions - don't know who you might be in league with, but I doubt it's anyone important if this be yer method of extracin' information out of a target. A ham-handed attempt if ever I've seen one. I grew up on the streets of Amn, if you must know. The Thieves are all the family I need.

What is your favourite meal, and why?

Meat, with a strong brew to wash it down. You humans sure know how to cook a meal.

Describe yourself in three words.

Above all else, I am loyal. I know my place, and I do what needs to be done. I'm shrewd, as well, which no one expects of a dwarf. They see the beard and assume I'm loud, brash and raucous. Ha! Their funeral, not mine. I'm diligent, too.

Do you have any hobbies?

Don't have time fer hobbies.

How do you approach battle?

By the time you've realised I'm a threat, it's probably too late. The blade will have sliced yer neck in twain, and yer blood will be covering my hand like a wet glove.

If you were an animal, what would you be, and why?

I hate animals. Blasted flea-bitten demons, the lot of them!

What is your opinion on good and evil?

For someone in my field of work, morals tend to only get in the way. I know where to draw the line, but I prefer to steer well clear of it in the first place.

To whom do you pray, and why?

I'm not the religious sort, but I pray to Mask when the mood strikes me. My superiors used to make all of us subordinates take part in the Ritual of the Unseen Presence once a month, but it never meant much to me. Don't have the voice for hymns. Hah!

How do you feel about relationships and sex?

Both are nice distractions, but little more than that. To love is to be vulnerable. A fatal mistake to make.

What is your favourite colour?

Black, the colour of night and shadows. They have been better friends to me than any corporeal being.

What weapon do you prefer to use in combat?

A dagger will slip in and out of a body with little to no fuss. I'm already onto my next target by the time you've looked down and seen you're bleedin'.

If you could choose how you die, what would you pick?

I want to die the way I've lived: performing one final service to those I owe it to.

What is the meaning of life?

Not my place to know such things. Better men than me can answer that for ye.

What is your best feature?

Won't find many Thieves as trustworthy as me. I know where I am in the grand scheme of things, and I accept my place. Not many others have that same self-assurance.

What is your worst feature?

Say what ye will about Thieves and honour, I have too much of it, and it only ever seems to hold me back.

/Davron

My name is Davron, and I used to be a mercenary. I am one no longer.

I had a family once, yes. I know not where they are now. I grew up in a small town near Neverwinter. It is of no particular importance, to me or to the world at large.

All food tastes the same to me. One day, I hope to eschew food altogether. Hunger is merely an inconvenience.

No. I will not waste time on such idle curiosities.

Do you have any hobbies?

I used to have many, yes. However, they no longer sustain my interest the way they once did. I suppose one might call me an avid reader, if that can be considered a hobby. I myself would not discredit the acquisition of knowledge with such a trivial word.

I was once a respected tactician. I am one, still. I analyse and I plan. I think things through. To do anything else will only lead to an untimely demise.

I am not an animal. The humanoid races are far superior, myself more so than most.

They are abstract concepts that bear little resemblance to reality. There is no universal 'good' or 'evil'.

I care nothing for the gods. They are whimsical beings, no more than glorified mortals.

I have not the time nor the inclination for either. They are mindless distractions.

I shall not dignify that question with a response. If you are here only to waste my time, we have nothing more to discuss.

I am proficient in the use of many weapons in battle. I do not limit myself to simply one.

I do not wish to die. Mortality is such a ... bother. There are ways to avoid death, and I mean to find them.

I have never concerned myself with philosophy. So many things in life are important, and that sort of navel-gazing is best left to the indolent fools who worry over such things.

Where others struggle to maintain focus, I uphold a singular clarity that allows me to achieve a greatness others cannot comprehend. Let others get weighed down by the petty and the paltry. I know what is important in this life.

There is a certain wisdom involved in such self-analysis that I often disregard. I shall have to think on this question and then devise an appropriate course of action to overcome any identified flaws.

/Eladora

I am Eladora. I have been trained as a monk since birth. This is all you need to know of me.

I was raised in a hidden monastery, the location of which I shall not reveal to you. If I had a family, it was those who raised me there.

Food prepared by others could contain any number of poisons. I prepare and eat my own food. This is not an issue.

Patient, composed and deadly.

Do you have any hobbies?

My time is dedicated solely to the perpetuation of Shar and her ideals. The Dark Deity's influence shall ever expand. Life is lie; everything perishes eventually. Only she shall endure.

Open confrontation should be avoided if necessary, though I am capable of great strength and skill if necessary.

A pointless question, if a harmless one. Like the raven, I am cunning and resourceful. From broken things I salvage what is useful. We are both omens for the inauspicious future.

Petty trivialities uttered by the blind and foolish. Everything I do is for Shar.

"Love is a lie. Only hate endures." Shar watch over me.

In context, both are useful tools. To the wise they hold little significance.

Shar rules over night and shadows. I find comfort in her dark embrace.

Rigorous training has honed my mind and body to perfection. My fists are my weapons, and they are more deadly than you could possibly imagine. I am never caught unprepared.

I will die in service to Shar. This has been preordained, no matter where or when.

Mortals are forever trying to find meaning in everything they do. A hopeless endeavour. If there is a meaning to life, it remains a secret to all but Shar.

My faith and my determination.

You think me a fool, do you? That is not for you to know. Secrets are the true currency, and I am a wealthy woman.

/Finn Eckleberry

Pleasure to meet you, stranger. The name's Finn Eckleberry, and I'm a whistler, would you believe! We control the sky with our tunes, and summon winds and rains and storms. Back home, I mostly just help out the local farmers, but I hope my skills are useful for more than just that!

Boy do I! I could go on and on about my relatives, but I'll just list the ones I live with, shall I? There's ma and pa, obviously, and my great grandma has a room we built for her when she fell and broke her hip a few years back. Her son, my grandpa, has a bed, too, but he's just as often sleeping in the garden outside. Those radishes are like his children to him since his wife passed away. We occasionally have Ernie, my cousin, sleeping on a spare sofa, but since he's fallen in love with Jessa Brambletoe, he only pokes his head in to say hello before he's out and about again. Ma reckons they'll be married before the end of the year, and chances are we'll have to make room for her, too!

What a question to ask a halfling! We love our food, we do. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Hmm. I'd like to think I'm friendly, caring and considerate, but that's not for me to say, is it? You'll have to tell me, I suppose, and I'll try to work on improving.

Do you have any hobbies?

I suppose whistling doesn't count, hmm? I quite enjoy spending time in forests collecting supplies for my medicine pouch. Sometimes, I'll just sit in a field and listen to the birds chirruping around me. It's more beautiful than any bard's song you'll ever hear, and soothing to boot. Like taking a bath, for the soul.

With a resolute desire to see things sorted without a drop of blood spilt or even an angry word uttered. What good has violence ever brought us?

Why don't we ask my little friend here? (whistling) Well, Mr Brownbeak here says I'd be a bird, just like him.

I try to be as good a person as my ma raised me to be. It's as simple as that.

I serve Yondalla in any way I can. May she watch over us all, and ensure we live to return to our hearth and home in good health.

(blush) That's not appropriate tea-time conversation!

A cloudless blue sky. Makes me sorry to whistle up a storm, it does.

I'm not one for combat. I've never seen the sense in it. That said, I can defend myself if I need to. Preferably with sling and bullet, but I carry a dagger on my person just in case.

I've been training since I was knee-high to a grasshopper to take over from my ma as Elder of the village. I want to die at a ripe old age, surrounded by my kin, and safe in the knowledge that I've dedicated my entire life to the guidance of my family and friends. I just hope I can live up to the standard my ma has set!

I really don't know. I know that I want to raise a big family and do my parents proud, but I think life's meaning might be different for every one of us.

Well, I don't know. I make a mean chicken pie, or so I've been told.

My worst feature? Ma once told me that I would have to harden my heart a little before I can truly become Elder, but I just can't see it happening. It takes a lot the change the nature of a man.

/Henric

Hello! The name's Henric, and I recently became one of the Knights of the Mystic Fire. We're paladins dedicated to protecting the realms from spell casters who seek to harm others. The powers of my goddess are often misused, and we seek to protect responsible wizards and witches from the ramifications of the actions of those who abuse the Weave.

I've a mother and father, but no siblings, I regret to say. I grew up in a secluded cabin not far from Luskan, and it was there I spent my entire childhood. With just my parents and the occasional guest as company, it was a lonely existence. Until I had left to join the Knights of the Mystic Fire, I had never met anyone my own age, before.

As a rule of thumb, I'll try anything at least once. I like sweet things, like fruit or honey, and woe betide anyone who tries to get between me and a slice of cake.

I'll answer how I think my superiors would want me to, and say that I'm righteous, virtuous and a fighter for justice. Or something to that effect, leastwise.

Do you have any hobbies?

Since I joined the Knights of the Mystic Fire, I've become a keen jouster. I can throw a javelin further than fellows twice my size, and I can run a lap around the courtyard of the Knight's building faster than any boy before me, or so I've been told. Probably from all the practice, eh?

With a weapon in my hand, if I can help it.

My commanders used to compare me to a puppy that's yet to be house-trained, but I've always fancied myself a noble eagle.

What's my opinion on it? That's a simple enough question to answer. I despise the evil, and I love the good. As for what makes a man good or evil? Now, that's a much harder question.

Mystra, of course! I have been a devoted worshiper since I was first able to talk, and my faith is as strong as ever.

I'm not an expert on either I'm afraid to say, though not for lack of trying. Some paladins seem to make an issue out of just about every carnal urge you can think of. Let it be said that I am of a different mind.
Restraint, in excess, is plain unhealthy.

The colour of my favourite tunic is royal blue. I suppose that counts, doesn't it?

I can use any number of weapons in battle. Though I can fight without one, the comfort of a sturdy shield is never under-appreciated in the thick of combat.

I would like to die protecting the innocent, upholding the good and serving my goddess. A little trite, perhaps, but I am a paladin, after all.

I ... don't know, actually. Or rather, I don't know what my superiors would like me to say. As long as you're a good person, that's all that matters to me.

I'm a paladin, but I'm yet young enough that I haven't forgotten how to enjoy life and have a little fun every now and again!

I've got a 'wandering mind', as my mother used to call it, and sometimes I can't stop myself from getting a little bit carried away.

/Katelyn

I ... I should have guessed this would be the first question, shouldn't I? (sigh) My name's Katelyn, and before I left Luskan I ... I used to offer my company to lonely sailors in exchange for coin. A harlot, I suppose. I'm glad to be rid of that life.

I have family, yes. Or rather, I had a family until recently. I suppose I can't call them that anymore. We weren't actually related, far as I can tell. Except for mother, of course. Who knows how many half-brothers or half-sisters I have? I grew up in Luskan. I have no intention of going back now that I am free of the place.

A hot one! I grew up on stale bread. I'm just grateful for anything with a bit of flavour to it.

I have no idea ... I'm glad to have escaped of my old life, I suppose. And grateful, too. We were resigned to living that way until our dying breath, but that didn't stop us from hoping. I'm excited to see the world, as well. There, that's three. Glad, grateful and excited.

Do you have any hobbies?

Not really. There's a lot of things I'd love to try, though. Painting, music, sewing. I hope to one day learn how to write!

Luskan streets are dangerous at night, and I managed to take care of myself just fine. I've never seen true battle, though.

It sounds silly out loud, but I think I am like a songbird that has finally escaped its cage. Or a hare, maybe. I've never left the city before, so I know very little about animals.

I don't really have one. Sorry if that's not quite the answer you were expecting.

I know very little about the gods. We had a small shrine to Sharess when I was growing up, but I didn't pay any attention to it. Maybe when I hear more about them, I shall find a god that calls to me.

If we are talking about the type of relationship I think you are alluding to, I cannot say much. I have never had the chance. My line of work has taught me to distance emotions from sex. It is something to enjoy, not shy away from. Odd to think that from now on, I will sleep only with those whom I choose to ...

One of my clients took a real liking to me, once. A genuine one. He was not a handsome man, but he had a beautiful soul. He kept on returning to me, and each time he would bring with him gifts. Rings and necklaces and pretty little bracelets. He bought me a dress once. A real one, like a princess might wear, glittering with gems and jewels. It was the most beautiful shade of lilac. I had to sell it before I wore it, of course, but I shall never forget how gorgeous it looked.

I've never been in combat before. An angry customer once tried to beat me, and I accidentally managed to freeze his ... his ... penis. But that was entirely accidental. In time, I hope to control my magic and use it against any who threaten me.

I do not wish to die. As long as I am satisfied with my life when I go, nothing else really matters.

To get as much out of whatever little you have been given.

I've been told I have beautiful eyes.

Now, don't laugh, but I really hate my fingernails. I chew them bloody when I'm nervous or bored. I don't even realise I'm doing it.

/Kaye

Hey there. The name's Kaye, thanks for asking. And yourself, sweetie? I'm a seductress by trade. I lure hapless men to my bed, strip them of clothe and coin and show them the time of their life. When I'm done with them, I eat their hearts and take in their strength. I think I'm a dozen or so hearts away from obtaining godhood, if my calculations are correct.

You ever heard of Waterdeep, honey? Big place, lots of people. You should go there sometime. There's more men than you can shake a stick at, and all of them with fancy homes bursting to the brim with gems and family keepsakes.

I'll have a caramelised apple, thanks for offering ... what's this? What do you mean you don't have one? I'll bear this in mind next time you ask a favour, bucko!

Sweet, appealing and agonisingly delicious. Much like a caramelised apple, now that you mention it.

Do you have any hobbies?

Chess. Game played with pieces on a board. Requires impeccable strategy and an alert mind. Ringing any bells? Well, it bores the stuffing out of me. I'm a mean card player though, and that's the honest truth. You want a game?

How do I approach battle? I avoid it if possible. A girl like me is just too pretty for fighting, don't you know. Better yet, I get others to fight for me!

Well, my father used to tell me I was a devilish little mink of a child, but he was only joking. I think. He's dead now, so it doesn't really matter. I'm more cat-like, don't you think? Lithe, graceful, and if you keep on poking me, I'll claw your bloody eyes out!

A friend once told me an apt saying to describe this ... how did it go, again? Oh yeah. 'When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad, I'm better.'

What, the mask, cloak and holy symbol don't clue you in? Sugar, if you haven't figured it out by now, then I think this party's just about over. You don't need to be a Demarch of Mask to know that someone's gone and stolen all your intelligence.

(giggle) The cheek of some people! I am a lady, you know. Why is it that men never seem to understand that all women, no matter their age or background, are really just princesses waiting to be rescued from their towers?

You might think a cute little thing like me would like pink or purple or the yellow of a setting sun. Well, you'd be wrong. I like the deep black of a moonless night. In the dark, no one can see that I'm different. No one can judge me or call me a demon-child... and no one can see all the naughty, naughty things I get up to late at night!

Oh, you know. A little of this, a little of that. Whatever get s the job done.

If you could choose how you die, how would you choose to go?

I don't plan on dying, actually. Not truly, anyhow. A few years back I was kicked out my room - for no good reason at all, might I add - at a godforsaken pigsty of an inn. As always, I left the place with my dignity and pride well intact, but not before I screamed myself black and blue. That oaf of an innkeeper is going to get seriously haunted, if I have my way. A leg of ham on a pillow, mismatched socks rolled together, a door that just won't stay closed. He'll lose his sanity, step by step. Oh, how he'll rue the day he ever crossed me!

Why, to enjoy yourself, I'd say.

I've got legs and an ass that just won't quit, or so I've been told. As figures go, mine isn't half bad.

Well, I suppose my horns can be a little annoying from time to time. I've yet to find a tiara designed for tieflings, that's for sure.

/Kwalu

I am Kwalu of Chult, a proud warrior of the land. Growing up in the jungles has taught me to read the land and its creatures. I take great pride in my ability to track and hunt animals.

I was raised by my clan in the jungles of Chult, far to the south. No longer can I call them my family, nor can I call the jungles my home.

If necessary, I will eat anything, regardless of taste or texture. I am partial to meat, however.

An odd question. I am a hunter, a warrior and a nomad.

Do you have any hobbies?

The life I lead leaves me little time for pursuing hobbies. I used to enjoy whittling bone and wood into small toys for the children of the clan, but I have little reason to do this now.

I approach battle cautiously, my eyes trained on my prey and my body ready to pounce at any moment. Like a panther, I watch and I wait. I am not so foolish as to charge into battle blindly.

I draw inspiration from all creatures, and yet I bear little resemblance to any of them. An animal does not think itself human, and neither do I think myself an animal.

My clan instilled in me a strict code of morality, and though I am with them no longer, I still adhere to these values. I will do what I must to survive, but I am not without integrity.

I pray to all the gods from time to time, though I prefer to place my trust in beings of the earth, people I can see and smell and touch with my own two hands. A good friend will care for me when I am sick, feed my when I am hungry and clothe me when I am naked. No god would offer the same.

A private question, but I shall answer it if you insist. The urges of the body should not be denied, and while relationships can have significant value, they can also be the cause of many complications. Love is beyond the understanding of mortal men.

There is little to be gained by prioritising colours. They are what they are. However, I must admit a certain affection for the green canopies of the jungles. As a child, I would look up and stare for hours. When sunlight managed to break through, the jungle floor would dance with dappled light.

I can use a range of weapons in combat, but I prefer to use a spear or longbow over a sword or axe.

I hope to die a worthy death ... think of this what you will. I am not even sure I know what exactly I mean by this myself.

If you sit and watch the animals of the world, all their behaviour can be traced back to ensuring their own survival. One common thread that ties all creatures together is a basic desire to live and reproduce. I believe this is true of humans, as well.

To those I consider a friend, I am a trustworthy and loyal ally. I know my own limitations, and I do not overstep them.

My clan often used to advise children to always be cautious, for the depths of the jungles hide many unseen dangers. However, I was told that I was too wary. Caution is a virtue, but too much of something good can make it into a hindrance, as well.

/Natalia

Greetings. My name is Natalia of Everaska. In the human tongue, I am what is known as a 'moon elf'. For many years I have studied the arcane arts, focusing most of my attention on the practice of divination. The gift of Sight has been both a blessing and a burden, but it is a skill that I have dedicated my life to mastering, though much still remains a mystery to me.

I grew up in Everaska with my many brothers and sisters, though I regret to say I did not spend as much time with my family as perhaps I should. They understood that my studies always came first, though I always sensed that they wished I had more time for them. Alas, I have not seen them for many years, now.

I used to think of food as a necessity, not something to be enjoyed. As I have spent time among humans, I have learnt to savour the taste and texture of my food. Apple tart, topped with cream, is absolutely scrumptious.

I am a diviner, an elf and female.

Do you have any hobbies?

Many years of my life have been spent reading and researching powerful ancient magic that has long been lost to my kind. When I was younger, I tried my hand at poetry. At the time, I thought myself quite talented. With hindsight, I realise this is not the case.

Cautiously. Battle is a regrettable but necessary part of life, I have come to learn.

An owl.

All creatures are capable of great feats of either, and even the best of us have moments of weakness. It is less black and white than people tend to assume, and the right choice does not always appear at first to be the best one.

I pray to all the Seldarine, depending on the situation. It is my belief that people are multifaceted, complex creatures, and as such, we should worship all the gods that speak to us, not just the one.

To underestimate love or passion is to doom yourself to failure. It only takes a quick glance at history to see the lengths to which a person will go for the love of their life. Love has conquered kings and nations and it has given rise to great changes throughout history. It is a mysterious force that we shall never truly understand, try though we mortal beings might.

Years ago, I would spend hours at my desk, reading through text after text and tome after tome well into the night. I wanted the desk to remain empty, so I had enough space to work. My mother would always insist on placing a single flower in a simple vase on my desk, but I made sure to throw it away. And yet, every morning, there it was, that single flower sitting harmlessly on my desk. It had the most beautiful petals - an exquisite periwinkle blue. I wish now that I had not been too blinded by my studies to see the beauty of the thing.

I use a staff in combat, though I do so very reluctantly. I have never had any talent for battling with anything but my spells. I am a diviner, first and foremost, but I have learnt magic that can I can use to defend myself, if necessary.

I have seen my future, and I know the manner of my death, if not when it shall come about. Knowing of my own demise has been a terrible burden, I must admit, but I cannot do anything to change the situation, so I try to live my life as fully as can be.

I never was one for philosophy, I'm afraid.

My ability to see what lies ahead. When I act, I make sure I have outlined every possible consequence, and I proceed only if I believe I act for the greater good.

I am slow to act, too wary sometimes, and I am perhaps not as wise to the ways of the world as I would like to think.

Forgive the colours. Thought I'd brighten it up a bit. Heh.

#11 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Probably shouldn't necropost (as a staff member, I should probably know the procedure for this sort of thing. Note to self: look it up, you incompetent buffoon) but I don't want to create a new topic.

I haven't really been working on this. Every 5 months or so I'll jot down a banter or so, but I know that there's no hope for a project of this scale. It's fun, though, and it never hurts to write. Anyway, if anybody is reading this, it'd be cool to get some opinions on a banter I literally just wrote. Want to see if it makes sense outside of my own head, and if it flows. Feel free to say it sucks (I am aware that it does, but I'm rusty, so I forgive myself for slips in quality).

Alysse - Firebelly Whisky?
Belgren - Done it. Probably in the Copper Coronet in Amn.
Alysse - Luskan Black Ale?
Belgren - Tried that just before we came to Targos. Weak as piss, but I had gallons of the swill.
Alysse - Knee-Cracker Cider?
Belgren - Of course. All the time, in fact.
Alysse - Bitteroot Beer? Almond Brandy? Blood Wine?
Belgren - Done, done and done.
Alysse - I just do not believe it. Why in the seven hells would you do that to yourself?
Belgren - It?s a mark o? pride. How many other people can claim that they?ve tried every drink in Toril, and then had enough o? it to make themselves vomit?
Alysse - Gods above, I'm travelling with a masochist! Kill me now.

Aaaaaaand another one I wrote ages ago that makes perfect sense to me, but might not to anyone else.

Kaye - You've been staring at them all day, Kwalu. Shouldn't you be paying more attention to our surroundings?
Kwalu - I don't know what you are talking about. I remain as focused as ever.
Kaye - Oh, please. You've stumbled more than once because you haven't had your eyes on the road. I don't mind, though. I find the attention flattering.
Kwalu - What are you talking about, woman?
Kaye - If you want, you're more than welcome to touch them. Forgive me if I giggle, though. They're very sensitive in the cold.
Kwalu - Have you no modesty?!
Kaye - Modesty? What are you talking about? I'm proud of my horns, as I should be, and anyone who thinks otherwise has yet to live and tell me so.
Kwalu - Your ... horns?
Kaye - Yes, my horns. Why, what were you talking about?
Kwalu - I-I ... should go and check if CHARNAME needs my help.
Kaye - (giggle) You never fail to make them blush with desire, do you girls? That look of mortification was worth its weight in gold.

#12 EmPhasis

EmPhasis
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

It's sad that next idea dies Posted Image
Especially, that it was huge mod and it could bring some new life in iwd2(due to lack of mods for iwd2).
Reconsider your decision ! Posted Image

And what for banters..
In my opinion they are good, especially second one.
It proves your maturity and that you are able to write free dialogues without putting any excessive ephasis.

Posted Image
Tribute to Classic Adentures !

#13 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

It's sad that next idea dies Posted Image
Especially, that it was huge mod and it could bring some new life in iwd2(due to lack of mods for iwd2).
Reconsider your decision ! Posted Image

And what for banters..
In my opinion they are good, especially second one.
It proves your maturity and that you are able to write free dialogues without putting any excessive ephasis.

Posted Image

Thanks very much for the support. Truly, I wish I could find the motivation, time, creativity and skill to do this more than anyone, but alas, I think it's just not meant to be. I will keep working on it when the mood strikes me, though. Maybe in 30 years time?

And thanks for the feedback on the banters, too. Glad they're not monstrously unintelligible :)