Bug Report for 0.51

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:54 AM

There are already some bugs in .51 that I have found. Some you all have posted in the .50a thread and others I have discovered on my own. So...

I will upload what I can here for quick fixes. Please read through the .50 and .50a bug lists before posting anything here. Many of you keep listing the same bugs over and over.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#2 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:00 AM

I have some game crushes with 0.51
It appears when party comes to certain areas( Palace of silver princess(center of big area that is after swords fighting each other) and second floor of haunted house in Saltmarsh. And crush happens with 100% chance.
Also, when installing mod weiDU reports:
ERROR: error loadding [Classics051/BAMC/?JXg1.bam]
But proceeds installation, and dont even says about warnings in the end.
Is this a reason for crushes, or there is something else?
Installed just as said in instruction, no additional mods added.
P.S.
sorry for my english.

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:36 AM

Also, when installing mod WeiDU reports:

Does the report have many of these? Cause the letter it's trying to print is µ, which might be illegal letter for your OS if it's foreign... This is part of the new Infinity Animation addition. (take a look at the SETUP-CLASSICS051.DEBUG file with Notepad)

It could be indeed this that causes the crash, cause some of the creatures use those animation... I suspect this to be the case cause it didn't crash on my game...

P.S. sorry for my English.

Näh, you did fine. :cheers:

Of course this is just a hunch. (assumption)

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 31 December 2009 - 03:58 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:15 AM

I have some game crushes with 0.51
It appears when party comes to certain areas( Palace of silver princess(center of big area that is after swords fighting each other)

The Decapus Creature eh? The creature won't show and few seconds later CA crashes

Also, when installing mod WeiDU reports:

Does the report have many of these? Cause the letter it's trying to print is µ, which might be illegal letter for your OS if it's foreign... This is part of the new Infinity Animation addition.

Aye, happened to me as well, my lap top's operating system is in Chinese, so I'm guessing that is why we suffered the crash? Yet another mystery discovered!

Any way to fix this? Will manual file name changes help? Or it will be much more complicated..

Thanks for pointing this out btw!

Edited by Tieflingz, 30 December 2009 - 08:17 AM.

I am: Human-Essentric (Halflings/Gnomes/Dwarves/Tieflings are favored)
Fetish: Backstab Ability (That includes Blackguards!)
Alignment: Mainly Any Evil and, to some extent, Chaotic Neutral
Nemesis:
Aasimar (Unless s/he's evil like Belueth the Calm)
Elf (I just don't like those pointy ears)
Paladin (You could guess why)
Weapon of Choice:
Short Sword/Thrown Daggers + Buckler

#5 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:32 AM

Cheked that file, that type of mistake appears only once.
So i have to fix that filename and referrenses to it, in wich files it shall be done?

#6 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

On second thought, don't listen to my silly first thoughts

Aye, I have a problem of continuing on with the story because of these crashes. Simple thought is that the BAMs won't show up

Is it connected to the Infinity Animation release? I mean, the decapus turned from Harlot Woman into the flying creature and crashed

I had similiar crash soon after loading on the 2nd floor area of the Haunted Mansion in Saltmarsh, The Bats and Flying Brain used to work in 0.50 and 0.50a

Hope a solution will be out for us soon.

Attached Images

• Baldr000.JPG

I am: Human-Essentric (Halflings/Gnomes/Dwarves/Tieflings are favored)
Fetish: Backstab Ability (That includes Blackguards!)
Alignment: Mainly Any Evil and, to some extent, Chaotic Neutral
Nemesis:
Aasimar (Unless s/he's evil like Belueth the Calm)
Elf (I just don't like those pointy ears)
Paladin (You could guess why)
Weapon of Choice:
Short Sword/Thrown Daggers + Buckler

#7 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

Cheked that file, that type of mistake appears only once.
So i have to fix that filename and referrenses to it, in wich files it shall be done?

My bet is that Infinity Animations is responsible but you won't be able to just rename files because they are referenced in the executable with the animation prefixes that start with those unusual characters, which as Jarno said are probably not valid on some 'foreign' OS's. (e.g. the problem has been hard-coded and won't be easy to fix).

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#8 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

On a Japanese OS I have had it crash in many different areas, Sam I think I have listed more areas in CA's hidden forum. If it is a case of Infinity Animations, I would suggest that we remove it for now. I have been using CLUA codes to get around the problem for playtesting but I honestly have to admit it is hard to play because of these errors.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#9 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

There are several "different" letters used for the BAMs in IA. I don't remember ever seeing anyone test this with IA or mention this problem (course I didn't look for it either).

Not sure what you can do at this point. The BAM files uses those letters and the IDS files that point to the BAMs also use them. Outside of that, not sure if anything else would need to be changed. We'll have to dig into this.

Classic Adventures

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

Lets come from another side?, which language pack shall i install to my OS to fix this?

#11 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

Good question. I would assume you need the English (American or probably any). The characters used are not English letters but they are in the language pack. Please let us know if that fixes the problem.

Classic Adventures

#12 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:18 AM

It won't, I tried before. Also we can't expect everyone to want to install the English language pack. It is something to do with how the code is read. you would need to have a entire English version of Windows to get it to work. Trust me, my OS is in Japanese. The language pack was of no use.

Edited by leahnkain, 31 December 2009 - 08:26 AM.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#13 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

Hmm, well renaming the BAM files to not use the special characters didn't work either. That should have been the easiest solution. Maybe Erephine is working on an answer. I'll keep playing with it to see what I can get working using the standard A-Z alphabet of characters.

Classic Adventures

#14 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

Hmm, well renaming the BAM files to not use the special characters didn't work either. That should have been the easiest solution. Maybe Erephine is working on an answer. I'll keep playing with it to see what I can get working using the standard A-Z alphabet of characters.

I'm pretty sure the animation slots are patched to the .exe with the non-standard characters, so just renaming the .bam files aren't enough. What you might could do, though, is take the code for Infinity Animations and do a find and replace on the unusual characters. The ones I see are:
µ
£
Æ
Ø
¢
Þ
¥
Ð

Edited by Sam., 31 December 2009 - 01:41 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

Ыщ. which files to be corrected? filename MAY be used in links\refeerenseeses only, so there MUST be limited number of files that requirers correction, being done fully it WILL worc, so only list of files is needed.

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

What you might could do, though, is take the code for Infinity Animations and do a find and replace on the unusual characters. The ones I see are:

µ
£
Æ
Ø
¢
Þ
¥
Ð

That won't work either, because the patch is in hexadecimal. Has anyone actually reported this to Erephine? Infinity Animations will have the same problem if it is actually the case, so it should be reported in the IA forum. For that matter Aurora uses the new scheme/animation prefixes as of the next update.

I still don't get why exactly this happens on Asian installs. Do those characters get converted to garbage in filenames or something? But for that matter, I don't understand why those characters are necessary for IA either (could be some technical reason).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#17 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:52 AM

My Japanese operating system uses romaji(English letters), kanji and kana. My keyboard is a different set up then the US keyboards. I have noticed that when I play BG and want to CLUA anything I have to remember where the keys are in the US. I think the symbols do not exist because of all of the new characters needed for three different writing systems used in Japan. The characters become strange symbols on a Japanese computer.

#18 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

Miloch, I didn't want to bother Erephine just yet. I needed to find out what situations actually had this problem. Telling Erephine that we see a problem isn't much help. Saying that the problem is caused by ... would be more helpful. I think I finally have that, though I would have expected more posts here. Maybe there aren't that many people playing CA or at least trying the latest version. It has only been available for a few weeks so far.

Right now I can say that players using Russian, Chinese, and Japanese languages in their operating systems (not the language installed for the game) have this problem. I just can't tell Erephine why. I still don't understand it.

Classic Adventures

#19 Kepster

Kepster
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

I've noticed that if you change your system localization settings, the ALT codes used to form European symbols under US localization have strange results when used with, for example, Japanese localization. This is likely a simliar issue. So, as a stop-gap measure, you may try this (for Vista and Win7 I think, not sure exactly how to do it in XP):

Control Panel
Regional and Language Settings in Classic View (or Clock, Language and Region then Regional and Language Options in fancy view)
Click the Administrative tab
Then where it talks about non-Unicode programs, "Change System Locale" to English

You'll need to restart. Anyway, no promises, but it's something to try. Posted Image

#20 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Control Panel
Regional and Language Settings in Classic View (or Clock, Language and Region then Regional and Language Options in fancy view)
Click the Administrative tab
Then where it talks about non-Unicode programs, "Change System Locale" to English

I tried long ago, it doesn't do much on a Japanese computer.