Photo

Variable Deletion

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:47 PM

All right, I went ahead and made a public post at the forums where you can download the compiled JAR and the source code.

If you can just post here (or there or wherever) when you've both got it; that post will get deleted some time in the future.

#22 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

Got it, thanks!

And I see that you even got the CRE fields regarding alignment/faction/LADY/Murder hits and all that in there - fantastic! Thanks!

Qwinn

#23 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

Got it too. Thank you !

#24 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, but I'm still not terribly happy with the two unknown parts there (the old "Zombie disguise" field looks to be some sort of general bitfield, but I couldn't decipher it after a brief look; and there are a couple fields that looked to be used in that run of unknown bytes after the character color set-ups). I'll do the overlays at some point in the future, but it requires a new class and is pretty low priority.

I don't believe there was much else unknown in PST, although I didn't touch the effects yet, so they're still using the silly IESDP labels and info. I won't ever handle the GAM bestiary state data (just an array of bool bytes for each of possible ~260 bestiary.ini entries; would require parsing the INI to actually have any worthwhile interface, and that's never going to happen in NI), and probably never the maze state (unless somebody else documents the structure; it's the last thing in the world I want to look at).

As with all the games, it can get confusing since we handle them all with pretty much the same code base (so some field may exist in a format, like the attribute requirements in the ITM format, and they'll show up but not actually have any effect until BG2 or maybe IWD), but most of the stuff should be straightforward. Be aware there's a silly bug in saving dialogues that have the pause flags (BG2 or compiled by WeiDU), so be careful if you plan to edit dialogues within NI (let me know if you ever get punched by it, and I'll get a newer build up). There always has to be some stupid mistake, I suppose. :(

#25 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

Frankly, the new version is fantastic. In addition to having the fields more properly labeled for PS:T, there's also things like having "Undo" when tracking dialogues work even if it externs to a different dialogue file, and being able to click on an item pulled up during a dialogue search and have it take you straight to the actual state/reply/action, is just all kinds of awesome and would've drastically made my job easier if I'd had it a year ago, heh.

Anyways, gonna start tracking new variables that do nothing as I find 'em in the next post. Not going to delete them in v4.0, this is just keeping track for informational purposes and possible deletion in future versions.

Qwinn

#26 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

Variables that appear to do nothing, candidates for future deletion:

"Lecture_3Planes"
"Lecture_Death"
"Lecture_Ghysis"
"Dustman_Belief"

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 02 January 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#27 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

Do you want local variables which aren't used as well? One I can remember off hand is "Lothar_Mad" where if you attempt to pick locks on Lothar's chests in his presence and fail, it increments variable but it's never used. He doesn't even go hostile. However, if you try to pickpocket him and fail he'll insta kill you.

Edited by scient, 31 December 2009 - 02:00 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#28 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

oh hai hard variable cap of 2070:

heh.png

infinity engine: 0
scient: 1

:)

edit:
Patch data I put together for Qwinn will increase cap size for GLOBALS, LOCALS and KAPUTZ's so each will have a max of ~4100 (doubled memory allocation on startup). Increase in total memory size when running PST is negligible.

Edited by scient, 03 January 2010 - 11:00 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#29 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:18 AM

Since I had some ideas for a small tweak for ps:t, may I ask how adding new variables to the game works? From what I've seen, all new variable have to be added to var.var (and possibly to .gam files as well, to make old games compatible), but are there particular requirements on where those variables should go? For example, should new global variables be added below any other variable (which means, after all kaputz), after all globals but before kaputz, or in the middle of the existing globals (ie in alphabetical order; I would prefix them to avoid problems)..? Does adding new variables interfere with existing scripts or dialogues?

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg