The Temple of Elemental Evil Co8 Modpack

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

Circle of Eight Modpack 8.0 Released (Patched 8.0.1 Version)

Official Forums

After ten long years, the Circle of Eight is pleased to present the 'final' version of our modpack - Circle of Eight Modpack Version 8. This release falls ten years to the day after the release of The Temple of Elemental Evil in North America. It is the culmination of years of dedicated work from literally dozens of contributors, and it serves as testimony to the enduring passion for quality turn-based strategy games in the modern era.

The Circle of Eight would like to sincerely thank Troika Games and all its employees for ten years of enjoyment, entertainment, enlightenment, amusement, frustration, and ultimately triumph. We only hope that the modpack brings ToEE a bit closer to what you had wanted it to be from the start.
To everyone else, thank you for playing. And as usual, we sincerely hope that you enjoy this final edition of The Circle of Eight Modpack.

- The Circle of Eight Team

Edited by Archmage Silver, 04 April 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Updated: Circle of Eight Modpack

Edited by Archmage Silver, 13 October 2010 - 11:35 AM.

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

Hmm, anyone know if this makes the game actually playable?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Co8 vastly improves the game - removes a huge amount of bugs, crashes, glitches etc- whilst improving many gameplay features (allowing partys ranging from 1 player created to 8, stopping NPCs nicking loot and scrolls ). The new content allows you to bypass Hommlet's tedious fetch and carry quests with a more fun combat orientated quest. My only criticism is that the scope of the game is still very limited - main quest still being just Moathouse, Nulb, Temple.

If you found ToEE's mechanics fun first time round, this fixes most of the game's bugs and adds some fun new quests and areas. Just don't expect anything on the scale or depth of BG1NPC. The main quest and NPcs are still very lightweight.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

The new patch is released (see the first post). You can now buy The Temple of Elemental Evil from Good Old Games for 5.99USD. If you're interested, here's the GOG announcement thread at the Circle of Eight forums, where some folks noticed that GOG is probably using a third party no-CD patch, which would make it technically illegal AFAIK.

#6 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

I never played this game back in the day...seems like its worth the few bucks it would cost though. How does it par up to something like the baldurs gate or icewind dale series? And if you had to rate it out of 10 what would you give it?

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#7 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:17 AM

A big fat minus one. I didn't get passed Hommlet, I found it that boring/bad. Yes, I did have CO8 installed too. The only use I found for it (well, two actually) was to screenshot a couple of areas for BG modding and to use the CD as a pretty coaster.

-Y-

#8 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

GOG is probably using a third party no-CD patch, which would make it technically illegal AFAIK.

It's not copyright infringement if the copyright owner gives them permission to ship games with a no-CD - besides, how else are they going to get the game working? As JCompton is fond of reminding, acquiring the source and getting it to compile is a monumental effort, to the point that direct EXE hacking is in most cases easier.

If you are talking about taking a no-CD patch off some website, they'd only be in trouble if the guy who originally made the no-CD patch is going to step forward and sue them for infringing his copyright.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:39 AM

I never played this game back in the day...seems like its worth the few bucks it would cost though. How does it par up to something like the baldurs gate or icewind dale series? And if you had to rate it out of 10 what would you give it?

I'd personally give it an 8+ with the Co8 Modpack.

If you are talking about taking a no-CD patch off some website, they'd only be in trouble if the guy who originally made the no-CD patch is going to step forward and sue them for infringing his copyright.

This. It's supposed be one off GameCopyWorld according to the people who looked into it. And yeah, it's pretty unlikely that the guy who made it is going to sue GOG for anything. So it's technically illegal, but in actuality no one cares. In my view it's a bit iffy, because GOG really goes for the whole "DRM-free" aspect in their marketing, but I guess that's just how it works out in the end.

#10 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

News:
Circle of Eight Modpack 7.0 Released @ ModDB

#11 VeTRooTnen

VeTRooTnen
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

It is scandal!

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Well apparently it's 7.1 already, but I like how you have to go through 3 different adware servers to download it, and none of the download links actually work... :angry:

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

It is scandal!

The what now? :WTF:

Well apparently it's 7.1 already, but I like how you have to go through 3 different adware servers to download it, and none of the download links actually work... :angry:

Yeah, the first post has been outdated for a while now. The 7.0 release newsbit is two posts up. I'm going to go ahead and update the OP now.

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

Version 7.3 is out now, check the first post for the details.

#15 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Version 7.7 is out now, check the first post for the details.

#16 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Version 7.9 is out now, check the first post for the details.

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Version 8.0, dubbed the "final" version, is out now, check the first post for the details.
After ten long years, the Circle of Eight is pleased to present the 'final' version of our modpack - Circle of Eight Modpack Version 8. This release falls ten years to the day after the release of The Temple of Elemental Evil in North America. It is the culmination of years of dedicated work from literally dozens of contributors, and it serves as testimony to the enduring passion for quality turn-based strategy games in the modern era.

The Circle of Eight would like to sincerely thank Troika Games and all its employees for ten years of enjoyment, entertainment, enlightenment, amusement, frustration, and ultimately triumph. We only hope that the modpack brings ToEE a bit closer to what you had wanted it to be from the start.
To everyone else, thank you for playing. And as usual, we sincerely hope that you enjoy this final edition of The Circle of Eight Modpack.

- The Circle of Eight Team

#18 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

The Modpack has been updated to 8.0.1. Check the first post for the details.

NOTICE

Please download and install patch 8.0.1 for the Circle of Eight Modpack via this link: Co8.org.
This should be considered a mandatory patch.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 04 April 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#19 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Hey Archmage Silver, thanks for keeping this updated!

Any chance you might have a link to a changelog or version history or somesuch? I'm curious what's such mandatory therein and that "details" link provided no details in that regard :)

Edited by Creepin, 19 April 2014 - 03:43 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#20 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

The changelog can be found here.