Photo

Vecna

• Please log in to reply
353 replies to this topic

#41 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

There is also a huge pre-see-able compatibility block wall. You jube don't have a 'IE Community Filename Prefix Reservations', and so the files names you use are... let say random at best, buggy at worst. So it's time to go here and reserve a prefix so you can then rename everything so they work OK. I understand this will be a huge job, but a guarantee is far better that, "let's see if this helps a bit" for the unfortunate player that was at the end of ToB and get's killed by the final enemy cause it's immune because you wrote over it's .bcs file making it immortal. <_<

Hmmm i think will be ok, i developed it on a FULL BW install, none of my filenames conflict with any of the mods in the BW lineup, i have a very strict/tight naming convention, ( monsters are ASCRExx, areas AARxxx etc.. All scripts have unique filenames ) which do not conflict with mods already on list. BUT yes will visit site etc.. cos dont know if future mods may overwrite my files, and also at end of day in my tp2 i am only copying if does not exist hence cannot copy over already named files.
Finally quite a few items etc are taken from BW ( those that were on monsters and that i liked ) and are only there to add to vanilla game in BW they just wont get copied since they already exist is that cool?

#42 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

ok just looked through the links you gave and no conflicts with the prefixes listed, but have to say its less than complete, CB is not there and one look through BW in near infinity will show you a dozen others not covered and i dont have a constant prefix for all resources, you are just reducing your name range to 6 characters for no reason, do you really need 2 characters for a prefix, thats around 2^20 possible modders !! Anyway i would argue my way is better, i have checked through all possible conflicts by simply checking my filenames are unique by comparing them in near infinity with the actual resources.
Also not sure what to register,

Areas AARxxx ( ie AAR003)
Monster ASCRExx and AGCRExx, Scripts ASCxxOVR, CLS etc
Bams either use Area code if animation or Z prefix for spells etc
VVC as bams
Z prefix for spells and items

#43 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

ok just looked through the links you gave and no conflicts with the prefixes listed, but have to say its less than complete, CB is not there and one look through BW in near infinity will show you a dozen others not covered and i dont have a constant prefix for all resources, you are just reducing your name range to 6 characters for no reason, do you really need 2 characters for a prefix, thats around 2^20 possible modders !! Anyway i would argue my way is better, i have checked through all possible conflicts by simply checking my filenames are unique by comparing them in near infinity with the actual resources.

Well, we are trying to keep the way clear for new mods, so if we make a mess with one mod, it's not a good for any of them... now the >1225(35^2=26_letters+9_numbers+few_special_signs) is plenty enough to register 3 to each of the ~400 possibly compatible mods out there( :lol: ) and still keep adding to them... and how do you think that people should try this thing(BWP etc in IE moding) if we won't have any kind of organizing skills.
Now, as you already have a complete and published mod in your hands, you can demand a few prefixes... as long as they have not been preserved for others.... see few of the Z's have for example...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 11 March 2010 - 12:36 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#44 Setharnas

Setharnas
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

do you really need 2 characters for a prefix, thats around 2^20 possible modders !!

...Except you got the math backwards: it's actually 26^2=676 - which, of course is still a lot. :P

</completely irrelevant smartassery>

#45 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

Well, we are trying to keep the way clear for new mods, so if we make a mess with one mod, it's not a good for any of them... now the >1225(35^2=26_letters+9_numbers+few_special_signs) is plenty enough to register 3 to each of the ~400 possibly compatible mods out there( :lol: ) and still keep adding to them... and how do you think that people should try this thing(BWP etc in IE moding) if we won't have any kind of organizing skills.
Now, as you already have a complete and published mod in your hands, you can demand a few prefixes... as long as they have not been preserved for others.... see few of the Z's have for example...

Ok getting the idea, with more than 1 prefix available and not restricted to 2 chars can def register and not have to rename much, do i have to register on black wyrm forums aswell?

Still this is a pain, and will be last on my list since pretty damn sure am not causing conflicts by overwriting.

#46 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

do you really need 2 characters for a prefix, thats around 2^20 possible modders !!

...Except you got the math backwards: it's actually 26^2=676 - which, of course is still a lot. :P

</completely irrelevant smartassery>

Maths bad but typing worse :)

#47 Setharnas

Setharnas
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

Mine? Definitely, but I claim non-native-speaker-excuses. :D

#48 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

Mine? Definitely, but I claim non-native-speaker-excuses. :D

No mine :), it was a typo :)

#49 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

Going to take a lot of work and some time but will make it compatible with the list, would have been a lot cooler if someone had informed me about 3 months ago !

Is there anything else i should know before i lose my remaining 2 hairs :)

#50 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

Ok getting the idea, with more than 1 prefix available and not restricted to 2 chars can def register and not have to rename much, do i have to register on black wyrm forums aswell?

To post, unfortunatly yes... but it's better for the system.

Is there anything else i should know before i lose my remaining 2 hairs :)

The other one is way too long, it might be best to just rip them both out. :hug:
JJ.
Hmm, I can't really think... of anything... relevant....but sex.

#51 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

"The other one is way too long, it might be best to just rip them both out."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#52 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:35 AM

ok did the prefix thing am now AA. All the files i have created now have the AA prefix, ( all 1000+ files! )
obviously VecnaU2 is going to be delayed by a few days while i sort this mess out, especially changing the script refs to reflect new monster names. Jeeeeees!

#53 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

You could probably write some WeiDU code to do it in a few minutes using REPLACE_TEXTUALLY or the like. And bulk rename the files while you're at it, either with ACTION_BASH_FOR or something like Bulk Renamer.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#54 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:34 AM

You could probably write some WeiDU code to do it in a few minutes using REPLACE_TEXTUALLY or the like. And bulk rename the files while you're at it, either with ACTION_BASH_FOR or something like Bulk Renamer.

Damn ! Wish i had read and appreciated your post yesterday ! Yes excellent idea, although about done ( by hand ) using the command line and BR for future bulk problems, thanks.

#55 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:42 AM

did the prefix thing am now AA. All the files i have created now have the AA prefix

You might wanna confirm it again with the BWL mods :) (they haven't added AA yet!)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#56 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

From the readme:

Included with vecna is the lvl 50 patch which extends the game to lv 50 and includes the grand mastery patch.

Which lvl-50 patch you are using? The one from TDD, BP or BG2Tweaks or an own improved one?

Which grand mastery patch you are using? The one from BG2 Tweaks is incompatible with TDD. Did you have considered or improved it?

What happens if one of the patches is already be installed through another mod? Does Vecnas versions patch them or will they be skipped or do you overwrite them? Have you tested it for these cases with the BWP?

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#57 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

From the readme:

Included with vecna is the lvl 50 patch which extends the game to lv 50 and includes the grand mastery patch.

Which lvl-50 patch you are using? The one from TDD, BP or BG2Tweaks or an own improved one?

Which grand mastery patch you are using? The one from BG2 Tweaks is incompatible with TDD. Did you have considered or improved it?

What happens if one of the patches is already be installed through another mod? Does Vecnas versions patch them or will they be skipped or do you overwrite them? Have you tested it for these cases with the BWP?

Greetings Leomar

The Lv 50 patch is not integrated yet, still testing it , but the files come from a legacy "copy over" patch i found on sorcerers place ( actually just checked, it is a very old Team BG patch ), i was using it before i started coding and was just playing BW (for about a year :) )
I found through playtesting that the BP, TDD lv extenders did not do a good job of extending the lvs for dual class fighter mage ( i play single character fighter mage on tactics ). Whereas using this patch i got perfect spell,tohit etc progression all the way to 35 where i started coding and no more playing. It seems the 2da files do an excellent job of exact P+P lv progression which i like. Also seems no problem with TDD or BP for that matter, i just copied the files to override after installation. The grandmastery P+P also works perfectly.
Problems
No idea if everything is so peachy with the other classes or weird kits.
No idea ( yet ) exactly how the 2das work or how to check them from a code point of view

For V13 i think the Team BG LV50 should be an optional component, or removed altogether, its by no means essential for vecna but just thought would give players a P+P choice since am a P+P fanatic-

Very open to input, what do you think i should do? from the standpoint of making Vecna BW friendly as possible?

Attached Files

#58 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

That's somewhat standard 40 to 50 table... which is fully overwrite 'compatible' with every other system... choose which you wish as long as you install it lastTM... Leomar possibly and I was worried about that the tables might be one that would go to thac0 of -10 +... as one of them does all the way to the -29. But this is not one of them... you can make a separated component with just a new
BEGIN ~50 Level system~

COPY etc.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 18 March 2010 - 09:50 AM.

#59 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

For V13 i think the Team BG LV50 should be an optional component, or removed altogether,

No need to remove it. Like Jarno said, do an optional component for it, so the gamer can choose to install it or not. Would be great if you can do an optional component for the grand mastery patch, too.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#60 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

"That's somewhat standard 40 to 50 table..."

does that mean the teamBG tables are the same as TDD and BP ? It could be that my playtesting observations were due to incorrect BW setup.

Also is there some hard code reason why they should not go to THAC0 -20 etc ? from P+P point of view do not see why there should be a limit.

"No need to remove it. Like Jarno said, do an optional component for it, so the gamer can choose to install it or not. Would be great if you can do an optional component for the grand mastery patch, too."

Yep will do optional component, going to have to make option for Vecna spells aswell so kill several birds etc.. :)

An being a perfectionist with scripting at the mo so big delays all round, am trying to bring BP AI to my monsters WITHOUT all the BP id mods etc, am about to give up.