Photo

DA: Who is your favorite companion?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: DA: Who is your favorite companion? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is your favorite companion in Dragon Age: Origins?

1. Dog (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

2. Sten (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

3. Shale (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. Alistair (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

5. Wynne (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

6. Zevran (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

7. Leliana (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

8. Oghren (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Morrigan (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

So, who is your favorite companion in Dragon Age: Origins? Many of use have had the time to finish the game already and others are still going at it, so there should be plenty of experience from which to draw your opinions.

Personally I have to pick Shale even though my DA Edwin impersonator pursued Leliana's romance path, which would usually make me vote for the romance interest, but I just can't help but to appreciate the originality of Shale's character.

As a side note, remember to use the spoiler tags where appropriate.

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

Shale, definitely. From the first dialogue.

I appreciate Morrigan and Alistair, and less - Sten(would appreciate him more if his interjection-related banters were "granted", not "random") and Secret Companion. Others are more or less useless to me. :(

#3 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

Alistair for me hands down... ;) Morrigans got funny banters with Alistair but she hardly talks to me... and well, I've found other NPCs more or less annoying (at least till now). I haven't d/led DLC so I don't know abt shale... :X

#4 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Alistair's my all time favorite, hands down: he's just such a sweetie, he's though to resist. Shale, however, is a close second. Loved Shale's banters, they were a lot of fun. I guess Wynne would take third place for me: I liked that grandmotherly side that some people hate.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#5 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

I would have to say Morrigan myself...I was instantly attracted to just about everything about her...Alistar a close second and Oghren the third

Edited by Vicen, 12 January 2010 - 06:07 PM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#6 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

Shale, definitely. From the first dialogue.

I appreciate Morrigan and Alistair, and less - Sten(would appreciate him more if his interjection-related banters were "granted", not "random") and Secret Companion. Others are more or less useless to me. :(

May I ask who's this "secret champion"? Oo

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

I won't put it here, because it's a big spoiler(and it's not in the poll), but here you go: http://dragonage.wik...ion&redirect=no

#8 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:21 AM

I chose Wynne, I just find her more interesting than the others. Second would be the dog.

#9 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

Almost a tie between Alistair, Morrigan and Shale for me. I picked Alistair in the end, because he managed to frustrate me till the end, without me actually being angry :) But Shale is definitely cool too and would be an extremely close second. I havenīt explored Zevranīs personality so much, but he seemed a bit shallow to me. Same with Oghren (whom I know even less of, not having even completed his quest) Wynne was a bit too patronising for my taste. Leilana was OK and I would like for the dog to have mistreatment induced negative influence :devil:
Secret companion... well, I only travelled with him for a very short time, so I didnīt really get to know him very well, as he didnīt get along with my favourite NPC very much :-p
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#10 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

I'll have to choose Morrigan, she reminded me of Viconia and that's always a good thing.

#11 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Genuinely can't pick. I liked them all, so I think I'll come back and vote when I've played through a few more times. I really like Leliana and Wynne (who just happened to be the two I took on my first run-through), but I like Zevran and Alistair, too. I need to take Oghren, Sten and Morrigan with me before I can choose. Oh, and I still haven't romanced Morrigan or Alistair yet, so that might change my mind, too.

I thought I'd like Shale more than I did. She went with my mage everywhere he went, and I don't know, she didn't do anything for me. Maybe with another character I'll see her charm. I have a feeling it might be my bias against big animated rocks. My immediate reaction to hearing about her was that she was made so people would fawn over how COOLANDBIGANDSNARKYANDINTERESTING she is. I do like her, though. I think she's well-written, and her VA did a fantastic job.

#12 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

Yeah, Crazee, I'm kind of ambivalent about Shale, too. On the one hand, Shale makes me laugh, and the voice acting is superb. On the other, +12 Golem Fists of Interjection kind of turn me off. Especially during the early part of the game, Shale has way too many, too prominent interjections. At Lake Callenhad, Shale bullies the ferryman, and there I am, thinking "Hey! That's my intimidation check!" And later, when you're supposed to be immersed in the horror that is the Redcliffe family tableau, Connor delivers his mildly startling "You bore me, mother!" or something like that, and there's Shale, with a snarky "And I thought it was just me." So, all things considered, I'd have to say that it's like, not love.

And it's really odd that I should feel the way I do about interjections, since Alistair is a far worse offender than Shale is, and Alistair is my favorite. I guess affection for the companion involved has a direct bearing on whether the interjections amuse you or just annoy you.

As for the rest, I already said that Alistair is my favorite. He's sweet, he's funny, he's humble, he doesn't want to upstage my PC. Did I say he was sweet? The rest are fine, too. About the only companion I really don't like at all is Leliana. Her religious fervor kind of creeps me out, and she's a bit too syrupy for my tastes.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:16 AM

Leliana, well she was my only option for a thief/tank character with my 3 mages. :P

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:56 AM

Aww... dog doesn't have any votes.

#15 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:15 AM

Well, he's not an NPC. Kind of. He's your dog! You just take him for granted. I know I do. :) I love that kaddis with black strpies on him.

#16 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:30 AM

Well, he's not an NPC. Kind of. He's your dog! You just take him for granted. I know I do. :) I love that kaddis with black strpies on him.

Yeah, he was hard at work in the wall defense and I noticed him at the end of the second play through that he was there...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#17 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:56 AM

Alistair. I fangirl him so hard. He's adorable.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#18 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

I didn't expect to like Alistair - he's not my "type" really - but I love his snarky comments. I'm playing as a gay human noble at the moment (hoping to romance Zev) but will probably try the Al romance with a female in a future run.
Zev reminds me of Puss from Shrek!

Haven't had Sten around much yet but he has some hilarious dialogues with Alistair about his time in the cage. Worth wandering over that bridge in Lothering just to hear them.

I'll vote, anyway, once I've finished the game and tried all the characters. Although that could be a while.

#19 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, I suppose so. I gave him the lamb bones et cetera, even though I knew they weren't doing anything. Well, I guess I'm still more of a roleplayer than a powergamer.

#20 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

Same here. :) You know, I think they'll take Dog to the expansion(s). Roleplaying-wise, there's just no reason to be rid of him.

And they can't kill him, can they? Or my heart will be broken. When I read Ursula Le Guin's "A Wizard of Earthsea", and an Otak died, I thought I'd never read her books again.