Version 2.1 Has been released (NEW)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:59 AM

Well, Qwinn spotted a possible bug with bigger fonts, which was caused because of some strange text scrolling function of the game. The logical solution was to increase the size of the dialog box. To tell you the truth this has been bugging me for a long time. A bigger dialog window would be a blessing since it would make the reading experience much better, especially since PST has tons of reading.

Unfortunately there was an annoying glitch when I tried to increase the height of the dialog window. But then, suddenly, taplonaplo ex machina came and spotted a code line in Bigg's mod that did the trick. :YAY: So, now we can have a bigger (and taller) dialog window and also forget about any bugs. I believe the new window greatly increases reading experience in PST and let's not forget that the original text window in 640x480 took a big portion of the screen. Here it is :

1024x768:
Posted Image
1680x1050:
Posted Image

Due to the bigger window I'm now offering a new bigger font size (120% bigger). Great for high resolutions :

Posted Image

I've also revamped the invetory screen for resolutions smaller than 1280x720 to avoid certain tooltip flickering problems.
Because of the new changes, the UI will no longer support resolutions below 800x600 (but I don't think anyone would need them anyway)

This will hopefully be the last update.

Download location

:cheers:

Edited by ghostdog, 15 January 2010 - 08:42 AM.

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:12 AM

I was just updating Qwinn's mods when I noticed your post, good timing... and thanks for the update. :)

Just checked it ingame, looks great! :)

Edited by Archmage Silver, 15 January 2010 - 05:42 AM.

#3 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Good to know Archmage !

#4 Gumby

Gumby
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:19 AM

Excellent! I've been long looking forward to a playable 800x600 resolution. :D

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:59 AM

Excellent! I've been long looking forward to a playable 800x600 resolution. :D

Yeah, same here. It bugged me for a long time that PST was the only game I couldn't get to run in that resolution while still retaining its integrity.

#6 Gumby

Gumby
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Yeah, same here. It bugged me for a long time that PST was the only game I couldn't get to run in that resolution while still retaining its integrity.

While I did try 1024x768 and above, it all looked too tiny on a 22" widescreen monitor. Default font size suffices at 800x600, too. :)

#7 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hello. I recently installed your mod and couldn't help but notice some problems that arise when I open certain windows (Inventory, Character Page) while having moving objects on screen or while scrolling. The moving object or the whole screen quickly alternates between 2 positions resulting in a visible shake. Might this be the 'flickering' that was mentioned in the readme, or is it something else entirely? Did anyone else experience this?

Edited by nevill, 18 January 2010 - 05:52 AM.

#8 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

Yep, this is the flickering I mention in the readme. It can happen when you open a window and something is moving in the visible area. Unavoidable as far as I know unfortunately.

#9 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

Would it be possible to just cover the remainder of the screen with some sort of background when clicking the inventory or character screens, the way the journal screen does? Just about any sort of background would be better than the flickering.

Qwinn

#10 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

It could be done (albeit with a lot of additional work) , but to tell you the truth I like it better this way where you can see the rest of the area. The flickering isn't that massive IMO.

Edited by ghostdog, 16 January 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#11 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

It could be done (albeit with a lot of additional work) , but to tell you the truth I like it better this way where you can see the rest of the area. The flickering isn't that massive IMO.

Yup, it doesn't bother me. It's only a very minor annoyance. Also, great job on increasing the window size... It's the one thing left that bugged me. Wonderful that you found a way to fix it!

Can I ask: Is 800x600 supported? Someone posted a comment on my blog that it isn't (that your mod will exit with an error if you try), so I just removed it from my guide. Now I see that it looks like it is. Confused.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001, 17 January 2010 - 07:15 AM.

#12 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

Can I ask: Is 800x600 supported? Someone posted a comment on my blog that it isn't (that your mod will exit with an error if you try), so I just removed it from my guide. Now I see that it looks like it is. Confused.

Yes, 800x600 is supported. I just rechecked in both 2CD and 4CD versions to make sure. I installs fine.

#13 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:50 AM

Just about any sort of background would be better than the flickering.

Seconded. I can avoid the flickering mostly by pausing the game before entering the inventory screen, but in stores (especially in Hive Market, where there are many moving critters) the whole screen outside of the store window looks garbled. Even if for some it's a minor annoyance, it's an annoyance nonetheless.

Would it be possible to just cover the remainder of the screen with some sort of background when clicking the inventory or character screens, the way the journal screen does?

Pretty please? :) I absolutely adore what you've done with the game so far, ghostdog, but this one is a real joy-breaker.

Edited by nevill, 18 January 2010 - 06:09 AM.

#14 -cebru-

-cebru-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:35 AM

Is there some unused artwork left that could be used as a background?

#15 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

In small areas, such as Mebbeth's hut, some parts of previously opened windows remain on the screen. These can be cleared up by opening and closing large enough window (i.e. journal).

#16 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

Yes, 800x600 is supported. I just rechecked in both 2CD and 4CD versions to make sure. I installs fine.

I can also confirm it works fine with my 4CD installation.

#17 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

In small areas, such as Mebbeth's hut, some parts of previously opened windows remain on the screen. These can be cleared up by opening and closing large enough window (i.e. journal).

What parts are those ? Can you upload a pic ?

#18 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

I think I know what Nevill is talking about. Sometimes, a small vertical sliver of what I'm pretty sure is the dialogue box stays on the screen, in the lower left bottom of the screen. Lots of actions can clear it, but it comes back fairly frequently.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 18 January 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#19 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

What Qwinn said.

http://img30.imagesh...00118180150.jpg

#20 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:40 AM

Yep, that's it. I got that a lot too, and quickly grew to not notice it, sorry I didn't mention it earlier.

Qwinn