Photo

Candlestick Quest

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

Hi, I've come across a weird bug... or at least I think it's a bug, with one of the "Unfinished Business" quests: The one in the Buried Village where you try and help a girl named Sheryl find her father. You solicit help from a woman who gave Sheryl's dad a portal key. She gives you one (a candlestick) but the woman can't remember where the portal is. You get her a human leg bone and she tells you it's in the northwest of the area.

Sure enough, the portal now opens. Once inside you're attacked by two giants and a ghoul... but once you've killed them there is no way to leave the area!

Am I missing something, or is it a bug? (It would also be useful to have something in the journal text or dialogue that reminded you that the candlestick was the portal key.)

Thanks for any help! (Note: I'm using UB 3.02.)

- Johnny

Edit: Ah, crap. Am I missing the exit portal key?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001, 17 January 2010 - 07:09 AM.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

You do need the exit key, but she just hands it to you at the same time she gives you the candlestick (I think it's a purse).

The exit portal is on the right side of the tomb... you have to bring TNO himself over there, PC's won't activate it.

Qwinn

#3 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:25 AM

You do need the exit key, but she just hands it to you at the same time she gives you the candlestick (I think it's a purse).

The exit portal is on the right side of the tomb... you have to bring TNO himself over there, PC's won't activate it.

Qwinn

Ah, thanks. Annoying! Problem is that it was hours (and hours) ago that I got that quest. I'm sure it will be the same for most people: They will most likely go to the Dead Nations/Drowned Nations/Tomb before they ever return to the Buried Village... Meaning it's easy to forget that the empty purse and candlestick are portal keys, and dump them somewhere.

God only knows where I left that empty purse. Argh. (Note to self: I might give all my portal keys to Morte from now on... that way I know if it's a piece of junk in his inventory, it's actually useful.)

Would it be possible to put in a line a text, like: "You'll need the candlestick to get there, and don't forget the purse, otherwise you'll suffer the same fate as Akin!"

I don't know. I guess it's a learning experience. Lol! :)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001, 17 January 2010 - 07:26 AM.

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:28 AM

I dunno, I gotta say I do think it's made pretty clear during the quest assignment already :/

Qwinn

#5 -i38017-

-i38017-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:14 AM

The NO can "remember" as a ingame "dialog" like the siege tower one to activate the portal.

#6 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:35 AM

I dunno, I gotta say I do think it's made pretty clear during the quest assignment already :/

Qwinn

Problem is that it was hours (and hours) ago that I got the quest assignment. I'm sure it will be the same for most people: They will most likely go to the Dead Nations/Drowned Nations/Tomb before they ever return to the Buried Village... Meaning it's easy to forget that you were told hours before that the empty purse and candlestick are portal keys, and dump them somewhere. I'm just noting that it got me confused and I presumed (initially) that it was a bug with your mod, when it wasn't.

Is there any way for a player to replay older text so they can remind themselves? If not, might it be worth putting something in the quest assignment in TNO's journal? Just a suggestion.

#7 -wyvernshill-

-wyvernshill-

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

Is there a savegame editor that allows me to summon the candlestick again ? Like ThunderPeel said, it was weeks later when i continued my game aand after playing for several days i returned back for this quest only to realize i accidentally dropped the candlestick. I forgot it was a quest item.

Is there any way to recover it ?

#8 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Is there a savegame editor that allows me to summon the candlestick again ?

Erhm there's more than two Savegame editors for PS:T... I have used the IESE on BG2 a long time ago, and then there's a few tools I have never heard before...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#9 -Wyvernshill-

-Wyvernshill-

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

@ The Imp

Many thanks for the IESE editor suggestion. It worked perfectly, i tried the others you mentioned before and while one of them allowed to modify the inventory, it didn't have the candlestick in it's list of item's.

But your suggestion worked perfectly, and for that i owe you my gratitude.