Photo

Cromwell dialog broken, doesn't detect all items

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 agris

agris
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

First off, I'm not sure my install is technically a megamod. My install order is from the BWP manual, but I'm not using any TCs or bg1 tutu / NeJ. I'm using the BWP's fixpack and BP's version of Ascension (and resource fixer just beforehand), but the rest of the mods are item / tactical / quests. The game is BG2 + Tob + Patch, and a whole slew of mods. My weidu.log is attached to the end of the post.

Cromwell is not detecting shadow dragon scales (scaleb) in my inventory, along with various other components. Strangely he seems able to detect all of Weimer's item upgrade components, but some vanilla game items he can't (he might not be able to detect the items from RR either). Looking at his dialog file in DLTCEP it seems to be really mixed up. I don't know what I did wrong, as I installed all of the item mods I wanted in the correct order based on the big world project manual. Looking at the change-log from cromwell's dialog (wsmith01.dlg), I get this:

[weidu] WeiDU version 21200
[./CHITIN.KEY] 183 BIFFs, 41793 resources
[./dialog.tlk] 100284 string entries
[weidu] Using scripting style "BG2"
override/WSMITH01.dlg
[Munchmod/Languages/english/Setup.tra] has 200 translation strings
override/wsmith01.dlg c2/backup/0/override.wsmith01.dlg
[c2/american/setup.tra] has 331 translation strings
override/WSMITH01.dlg G3Anniversary/backup/0/override.WSMITH01.dlg
[G3Anniversary/english/setup.tra] has 1339 translation strings
override/WSMITH01.dlg RR/BACKUP/8/override.WSMITH01.dlg
[RR/TRA/ENGLISH/RR.TRA] has 1155 translation strings
override/WSMITH01.dlg BG2_Tweaks/backup/1220/override.WSMITH01.dlg
[BG2_Tweaks/languages/english/description_updates.tra] has 34 translation strings
[BG2_Tweaks/languages/english/setup.tra] has 429 translation strings

Mods affecting WSMITH01.DLG:
00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SETUP-MUNCHMOD.TP2~ 0 0 // Munchmod
00001: ~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ 0 0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades
00002: ~G3ANNIVERSARY/SETUP-G3ANNIVERSARY.TP2~ 0 0 // The Gibberlings Three Anniversary Mod
00003: ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ 0 8 // Upgradeable Equipment
00004: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ 0 1220 // Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items
I attached the override copy and the 4 previous versions. Any ideas?

Attached Files

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:37 AM

Type 'weidu wsmith01.dlg' at the command prompt in your game folder to decompile it to a .d file and post that instead - it will be more readable. I think this is a known issue though - he won't detect mod items (even if they have the same name as vanilla items) unless they're specifically added to his dialogue, which no one really does. RR might though. Hopefully something like Munchmod didn't hose it.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

Cromwell is not detecting shadow dragon scales (scaleb) in my inventory, along with various other components. Strangely he seems able to detect all of Weimer's item upgrade components, but some vanilla game items he can't (he might not be able to detect the items from RR either).

Note that Weimer's Item Upgrade modifies Cromwell's dialogue in a slightly non-standard way - contrary to the unmodded game, all IU-specific items appear as separate dialogue options.

If you want Cromwell to upgrade items from the unmodded game (and from RR) you need to select the "Get on with it, then." dialogue option in case Weimer's Item Upgrade is installed.

Edited by aVENGER, 01 February 2010 - 08:09 AM.

#4 agris

agris
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

Miloch: Wow, cool trick. And I can read it easier this way than inside NI or DLTCE. I've posted the file.

aVENGER: I'm going through his regular "check for each item, comment, continue" route. With the scales sitting in my pack, along with the 1st piece of the equalizer you get from Chateau Irenicus, and probably a lot of other items he should be able to upgrade, all he can comment on is the damn golem manual, quiver / case of plenty, and sigwald's frame or string (can't remember which). He's just not performing the right item checks. I mentioned Weimer's stuff because whatever borked Cromwell's 'normal' upgrade route, didn't effect Weimer's.

So this is known behavior? I would not have thought the megamod caretakers would let such a problem exist for so long.

Attached Files

#5 -asdf-

-asdf-

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

Try dropping the golem book, the quiver, the frame from your inventory and then talk to Cromwell again.

I've had this issue before where I'll have the equalizer parts, the halberd, and gesen's bow AND some stuff from mods. He'll detect the mod stuff and go into the mod check of stuff and not cycle back and check for the vanilla stuff.

#6 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

Try dropping the golem book, the quiver, the frame from your inventory and then talk to Cromwell again.

I've had this issue before where I'll have the equalizer parts, the halberd, and gesen's bow AND some stuff from mods. He'll detect the mod stuff and go into the mod check of stuff and not cycle back and check for the vanilla stuff.

Which mod(s) are these items from? It doesn't sound like they've coded the dialogue properly (obviously).

#7 agris

agris
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

Ah, you guys are smart. So, these are all the items he CAN detect right now:

Flail of Ages,
Golem Manual
Case of PLenty
Quiver of Plenty
Deathbringer crossbow frame (from Munchmod)
Now, if I drop all of these and talk to Cromwell, he can detect the rest of my items:

Shadow dragon scales
Ankheg shell
Equalizer pommel gem
Gesen bow shaft
Wave shaft
Illithium
After picking up each item from the 1st list, one at a time, I found that it's the deathbringer crossbow frame that keeps Cromwell from detecting any of the above items. He can detect all items from both lists as long as I don't have Munchmod's Deathbringer crossbow frame on any character. Also, when I dropped all the items from the 1st list, the first thing Cromwell says after I tell him to "Get on with it then" is an offer to upgrade the golem manual despite the fact that I've dropped it (he doesn't give his normal "OH look at this..", look at last pic). Clearly, something is wrong.

Dialog that appears to be out of order, when Cromwell legitimately detects the golem manual
Posted Image

Dialog that is completely incorrect when Cromwell 'detects' golem manual, despite it being dropped on the ground
Posted Image

edit: deathbringer crossbow frame is "SGMISC5.itm". I looked through wsmith01.d and found the references to the item, but I don't know this scripting language well enough see what the problem is.

Edited by agris, 02 February 2010 - 08:37 AM.

#8 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

Looks like there are bugs in MunchMod's crommy.d
One in state MM68, transition 1. Rather than taking you to the state old_13, it takes you to a state that terminates the dialogue (MM69).
Another in state MM61, transition 0. Rather than taking you to state old_13, it takes you to the vanilla state 52, which terminates the dialogue.

Consequently, you'll be unable to forge any items "after" the crossbow so long as you have one or more of the crossbow components in your possession.

If someone fixes it, they should probably change the variable to a prefixed one rather than using the vanilla ForgeItem variable. If another mod is thoughtless enough to use the same value of that variable, you'll run into problems.

Edited by Wisp, 02 February 2010 - 09:17 AM.

#9 agris

agris
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, Wisp. Would this improper state reference cause the out of place dialog regarding the golem manual, too?

#10 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

It's probably a separate issue. Possibly, but not necessarily, in the mod which introduces the golem manual as a forge-able item.

#11 agris

agris
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

Interesting, the golem manual is upgradable by Cespenar in ToB, but it is the BG2 Tweaks component "~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1220 // Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items: v8" that allows Cromwell to upgrade the golem manual. I guess I'll let the Bg2 tweaks people know.

#12 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

Looks like there are bugs in MunchMod's crommy.d
One in state MM68, transition 1. Rather than taking you to the state old_13, it takes you to a state that terminates the dialogue (MM69).
Another in state MM61, transition 0. Rather than taking you to state old_13, it takes you to the vanilla state 52, which terminates the dialogue.

Consequently, you'll be unable to forge any items "after" the crossbow so long as you have one or more of the crossbow components in your possession.

If someone fixes it, they should probably change the variable to a prefixed one rather than using the vanilla ForgeItem variable. If another mod is thoughtless enough to use the same value of that variable, you'll run into problems.

Wisp, is it possible that you can provide us the corrected file? Or what must we change? White Agnus is still ill and he tries only to update the BW Fixpack, at the moment, so it could be awhile until he can look at the MunchMod problem.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 04 February 2010 - 09:35 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#13 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

Wisp, is it possible that you can provide us the corrected file? Or what must we change? White Agnus is still ill and he tries only to update the BW Fixpack, at the moment, so it could be awhile until he can look at the MunchMod problem.

Greetings Leomar

Bear in mind this is very scarcely tested (unfortunately, I'm too short on time to do better). I've changed the dialogue so that Cromwell should be able to detect other items if he does not forge the crossbow and I've changed the variable to a custom one and moved it from being global to being area-specific.
The archive is the entire mod folder, sans .tp2 and executable.
Edit: Attachment removed.

Edited by Wisp, 27 October 2010 - 12:49 AM.

#14 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Bear in mind this is very scarcely tested (unfortunately, I'm too short on time to do better). I've changed the dialogue so that Cromwell should be able to detect other items if he does not forge the crossbow and I've changed the variable to a custom one and moved it from being global to being area-specific.
The archive is the entire mod folder, sans .tp2 and executable.

Thank you very much, Wisp, and sorry for the late response. :cheers:

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World