BiG World Project (BWP) v8.3

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#21 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

Does this mean it's ready for DL, install, and hours/days/months of enjoyment?

Yeah!

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#22 Anduin Shadow Mantle

Anduin Shadow Mantle
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Leomar. Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! Probably overkill but I have done a complete re-install. Downloading now. I am having a go at the tacitus after many an hour playing the recommended... Looking forward to putting the smackdown on a few kobolds... illithids... dragons... vampires... gnolls... not in any particular order!

#23 -Anarki-

-Anarki-

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

Thanks so much for the work you do leomar (and anyone else involved with this)!

Quick question to anyone though - im gonna reinstall for this. Im going "standard". Would it be wise for me to wait until the fixpack is complete? I mean will I run into some real gamebreakers without it being complete?

Also this white angus guy who is supposed to do this - what happened to him really? i see he was in hospital :o (sorry - new here)

Thanks so much again Leomar.

#24 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

Would it be wise for me to wait until the fixpack is complete? I mean will I run into some real gamebreakers without it being complete?

Which fixpack are you referring to??

The BWP Fixpack is at 8.3 and is the latest one (barring the few minor fixes found in the last 2 days :P)
The G3 BG2Fixpack is at v9 and the v10 is being worked on ... but you can install it with no gamebreakers :)
The BG1Fixpack ... is included in BGT (why am I saying this?? :ermm:)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#25 -kelrynn-

-kelrynn-

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

I just love the BWP and have a question. I have current installed version 8.2 Recommended version. What do I need to do to install 8.3 Standard version? Would I just need to run version 8.3 and choose Standard or should I uninstall and reinstall everything? Thank you, I'm kind of new at the Mega Mod installations.

#26 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

Unfortunately, the BWP can't be upgraded by running the installer again :P You'll have to start fresh (clean BGII-ToB+BGI-TotSC, apply patches etc) and run the BWSetup :)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#27 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

Would you mind putting a link to this page to the first post.

Sure and done. :cheers:

And now, some nitpicking :P The cleanup.bat doesn't clean these mods:

Spoiler
and it will also skip 3 folders with spaces in their names :( (Mod backups, NSC Portaits, BWL Contest)

Thanks for looking into it. I'll let it Leonardo know. :cheers:

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 12 February 2010 - 10:03 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#28 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

Unfortunately, the BWP can't be upgraded by running the installer again :P You'll have to start fresh (clean BGII-ToB+BGI-TotSC, apply patches etc) and run the BWSetup :)

Erhm, you actually can. See, you just start the 'BiG World Setup.vbs' again. Yes, it will result in uninstallation of the whole BWSv8.2, by using the backup made in the beginning and deletation(removal) of lot of files, but as you have said it's faster than uninstallation of the whole game and reinstallation. Or did I miss something?

#29 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

And should you be interested to know, the 32bit Windows7 should work the same way the Vista does, ...

There is an obvious mistake in the English BiG World .pdf file, ...

The [I]install markers might also be a bit better in the guide, as they are all marked according to the Tactical/eXpert install...

Yeah, I understand that it's hard to cope with all the changes, but I am just pointing what could be improved, not criticizing anyone, I have no idea what this all can take out of you... so take it as such.

Thanks for the informations and the wrong lines in the guide. I'll let it Leonardo know, so he can correct it. Thanks, too, for your suggestion and yes, it will be hard to cope with all the changes. We'll see what we can do. ;)

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#30 shinino

shinino
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

After numerous FAILED attempts to install BWP, I'm going to wipe BG1 + BG2 completely tomorrow nad start over. Maybe I'm just trying with too many mods. :P

#31 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

If I understand the comments in the BWP fixes text file, several tactics components now won't install if the BP179e TP2 is detected? What about players, like me, who only install BP's version of Ascension (not AI, or other encounters). Does installing BP's Ascension result in some sort of incompatibility that should keep me from installing several of tactic's components?

You're right. The Install.bat doesn't distinguish between BP and BP-Ascension only. It is always BP. But Leonardo introduced the AI-selection with the new BWP release, so we can handle this in the future. Thanks.

Also, there is no mention of 1PP's extended palettes in the BWP install manual- is it safe to place it directly after thieves galore?

I think the "1PP's extended palettes" is a tool for modders, I'm wrong?

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#32 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

Erhm, you actually can. See, you just start the 'BiG World Setup.vbs' again. Yes, it will result in uninstallation of the whole BWSv8.2, by using the backup made in the beginning and deletation(removal) of lot of files, but as you have said it's faster than uninstallation of the whole game and reinstallation. Or did I miss something?

Ah, yes :) But I've heard that leftover backup folders (from the old 8.2 install) could fubar your new game :P I'm probably wrong though ... as always :crying:

And I dunno about the .bif's present in the data folder as well :unsure: Would gen_biff overwrite them?? It'd be cool if the BWS could clean up the data folder (make a list of .bif's when making the backup, then delete all .bif's that aren't in the list when restoring the backup ;))

About reinstallin, the only thing I'll say is ... when you have a clean BGII-ToB patched to 24698, make a zip/rar/7z (preferably .rar) of your BGII-SoA folder. So, if you know the game's ruined, you could just delete the BGII-SoA and extract the archive. Good as new ^_^ (no modding the registry either, takes just 10 mins for me :P)

After numerous FAILED attempts to install BWP, I'm going to wipe BG1 + BG2 completely tomorrow nad start over. Maybe I'm just trying with too many mods. :P

Wat exactly FAILED in your install?? :lol: (oh, and mention your OS btw :P)

Edited by Lollorian, 12 February 2010 - 11:35 PM.

#33 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:54 AM

@Lol: Have you really looked in the code or in a log-file to see what the BWS is doing before posting suggestions? Like deleting new files from the data-folder? :whistling:

Short overview:

>> Backup
Copy Override-folder
Copy BGMain.exe
Copy Chitin.key
Copy Dialog.tlk
Copy DialogF.tlk (if exists)
Take a list files in data-folder
Take a list files in main-folder

>> Restore
Remove those files and folders that have copies
Remove files not on list files in data-folder
Remove files not on list files in main-folder
Copy Override-folder
Copy BGMain.exe
Copy Chitin.key
Copy Dialog.tlk
Copy DialogF.tlk (if exists)

Leomar noted a few weeks ago that there are some folders that we did not take into account when we created this functions some time ago, like characters, portraits, sounds, music and scripts. Those folders may have new files inside; but at least I think those should not break an installation.

If you think that the backup-method is not working or is wrong after all, tell me. I just created it in the way it was written down in the PDF some time ago.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#34 -Anarki-

-Anarki-

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:54 AM

Would it be wise for me to wait until the fixpack is complete? I mean will I run into some real gamebreakers without it being complete?

Which fixpack are you referring to??

The BWP Fixpack is at 8.3 and is the latest one (barring the few minor fixes found in the last 2 days :P)
The G3 BG2Fixpack is at v9 and the v10 is being worked on ... but you can install it with no gamebreakers :)
The BG1Fixpack ... is included in BGT (why am I saying this?? :ermm:)

Ah damn :) clumsy of me not to mention it! :P I meant the BWP Fixpack of course.

I mostly asked becouse of this:
"Currently not complete. Sorry. White Agnus will update the fixpack as soon as he is well again."

But I take your word that it should be ok :) thank you very much and I sincerely hope White Angus gets well again soon :)

#35 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:03 AM

@dabus: :doh: My bad :P ... yeah, I didn't look at its code :crying: (quietly slinks away ...)

... but first, allow me to wish White Agnus a speedy recovery :coolthumb:

#36 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

Like I wrote in the German forums: You can do as you wish.
I don't know when WA will be ready to do some fixing again or if he ever feel like/will be doing so. We have no replacement for him in our big hat were we push and pull the BWP-bunnies from. So a full BWP-member that fixes bugs like he could is not present.

So it's up to you to decide to go and start or wait.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#37 Dstone

Dstone
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:13 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for the new version, i'm sure there are loads of people like me that don't post much but are eagerly anticipating each release! Doing my biggest megamod yet at the moment. Waiting for biffing :) I hope Baldurs Gate modding continues for a very long time to come (after all there has been no better games as of yet!)

#38 -Anarki-

-Anarki-

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

Like I wrote in the German forums: You can do as you wish.
I don't know when WA will be ready to do some fixing again or if he ever feel like/will be doing so. We have no replacement for him in our big hat were we push and pull the BWP-bunnies from. So a full BWP-member that fixes bugs like he could is not present.

So it's up to you to decide to go and start or wait.

Yes of course! I hope I didnt come off as someone who cared more for the fixpack itself than the guy behind. I just asked if something was knowingly completely broke in it with 8.3 :) since it said "not complete sorry"

Im new to this so i dont 100% know how all theese packs work and how important their "completeness" are

but apperently it should be ok anyway :) so im gonna install with it :)

It seems then that this White Angus is indispensible here - I hope that gives him comfort when he is sick. I wish him all of luck.

#39 shinino

shinino
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

Wat exactly FAILED in your install?? :lol: (oh, and mention your OS btw :P)

Windows 7 64 bit.

It varies. Sometimes it hangs during the update process (finding download links). Sometimes it shows incorrect descriptions of mods as I'm selecting them. Soemtimes it won't download some of the files. I'm going to just start new.

#40 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

Windows 7 64 bit.

Just so you know:

2. Disabling your User Account Control, in Vista and W7.
Now, Windows Vista and Windows 7 have these annoying new features called User Account Control, which even with Admin permissions stop everything mod related, as it prevent programs from altering other programs, at least without your permission, which in turn says that you have to re-enter the program code after the permission is given to the said program which doesn't suit with BiG Worlds programs cause the user didn't code program, nor typed the .exe's need special features to actually do things they do. You disable this feature by going this path in;
Vista: Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off -> Uncheck the box next to 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer', and push OK, and then restarting the computer, in annoyance...
W7: Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Change Your User Account Control settings... set to the bottom most option and done, and then restarting the computer, in annoyance...

2.1 Disabling the Program Compatibility Assistant on Windows 7.
To increase this annoyance, the clever idiots at the MacroHard have invented this assistant that always asks: 'Did this x program install successfully?' on 32bit system, and in 64bit system it can and will stop you from overwriting useful files, like the BGMain.exe when you upgrade the SoA to ToB. :clap:
To remove it push the Start -> type to the console: gpedit.msc and start it, then User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility
Double click the option "Turn off Program Compatibility Assistant", and inside its configuration mark the "Enabled" -> Apply -> OK. Restart the computer.

2.2 Why disable the UAC, and the PCA?
Well, cause we need to, and because we can enable it after the BWS(BiG World Setup.vbs) and BWI(BiG World Install.bat) have run their procedures to completion. Or you go through the horror of making manually all the installation.

Also there some place where it tells you to not install the game to the Program Files sub-folders, this is because the OSystem mirrors the files from one place to another, so do not make the mistake to install the game into the default "Program Files (x84)" folder, or you'll be banging your head to the wall...