Slow playback on new music themes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -PirroEpirote-

-PirroEpirote-

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi Qwinn. First of all, I'd really like to thank you for your dedication and eye for quality in developing mods for PS:T. Any excuse to replay this gem of game is most welcome, and your excellent mods provide as good an excuse as one would hope to find.

I wanted to report a potential bug I've encountered with the Unfinished Business mod. I say "potential" because I haven't seen anyone else reporting it, and it's quite noticeable, so I think it may be a quirk of my system.

The bug affects the new music themes added with UB v4.0 (Morte Theme and Smoldering Corpse Bar Alternate). Whenever these songs play (they *do* appear at the appropriate instances), they play in funky slow-mo style.

My tests (see below) seem to indicate the problem is not in the scripting, rather, it's in the provided .acm files.

Notes:
  • I tried replacing the affected themes .acm's with other song's .acm's, and noticed that the playback was correct. This made me think the problem was with the .acm files themselves.
    So, I went further and converted the original themes for the soundtrack from .mp3 to .wav (Stereo, 16bps, 22050 Hz), downloaded "PS gui" (a nice GUI for a pack of Infinity Engine conversion utilities) and used it's ACM2WAV utility to convert the .wav's to .acm. The resulting .acm's worked out ok (no slo-mo playback at all).
  • My system, in a nutshell: Windows Vista, ATI Radeon HD 4870, X-Fi Soundcard.
  • I tried setting up Creative Alchemy to enable EAX, to no avail. Enabling or disabling Alchemy has no effect on the appearance of this bug, AFAIK.

#2 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:33 AM

Interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing this new music once I'm finished with my current game.

#3 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Sorry, I missed this post previously.

Pirroepirote, I didn't notice any particular slowdown, but it may simply be that's what I thought the music was supposed to sound like. If you'd be willing to provide me with your new .acm's, I'd be happy to try 'em out in my game and, if yours are indeed superior, I'd be happy to replace 'em in the game for v4.1.

Qwinn

#4 -PirroEpirote-

-PirroEpirote-

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Actually, the songs in their slowed down state sound relatively nice, so it's true they could appear to be working correctly...

I'll gladly provide my custom .acm's to see if you detect a difference in the in-game playback:
Morte's Theme (RapidShare)
Smoldering Corpse Alternate Theme (RapidShare)

Of course, you are free to use them in UB if you confirm this is their correct version.

P.S.: first time I use RapidShare, please tell me if there's any trouble with the download.

#5 -i30817-

-i30817-

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

I saw something about the infinity engine and mp3 rate that could cause this i think. I don't remember where that was however. Maybe the fixpack forum?

#6 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

Version 4.1 will indeed use PirroEpirote's versions of the acm's. Hey, if nothing else, his are half the size of mine (like 3mb instead of 7mb). Thanks Pirro!

Qwinn