Photo

BG: Upgraded familiars

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StrixO

StrixO
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

I wrote a tweak that gave a shared clerical upgrade to good-aligned familiars, thief upgrade to neutral, and debuffing mage spells to evil familiars. Since my familiar summoning scrolls seem to be working, I decided I wanted to give each familiar a unique upgrade. Do any other mods do something similar (i.e. make familiars useful)?

In my personal mini-mod, I've given all the

good-aligned: Bless,Sanctuary,Slow Poison,Cure Disease,Remove Paralysis,Zone of Sweet Air,Cure Serious Wounds,Defensive Harmony,Protection from Evil 10',Lesser Restoration

neutral aligned: 99% Pickpocket, 99% Stealth, 99% Open Locks, 99% Detect Traps, casts Luck, Non-detectable by divination when stealthing

evil-aligned: Shield,Mirror Image,Invisibility,Blindness,Spook,Ray of Enfeeblement,Slow,Confusion,Greater Malison

Unbalanced, I know. If I mess with it again, I'll nerf it a bit and change each familiar to have a unique upgrade - like giving the Fairy Dragon just illusionary buffs, and parsing out the traps/locks/pickpocket to ferrets and stealthing/detect illusions/true seeing to cats. Before I do, has anyone done anything similar? It also might be fun to change the dust mephit (booooring) into something like a radiant or fire mephit. I'm sure you guys have seen the other FAMs not used.

Thanks!

#2 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

I do not know if it's possible but it would be a good idea to make familiars grow stronger with the charname. I mean the 15th level charname's familiar should be stronger than 7th level charname's.
However, it's a good idea to work on those... making them more talkative would also be a nice idea... you know, maybe timered talks as with NPCs? More dialogue options etc?

#3 smoky tune

smoky tune
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

If I don't mess things up, I've had such several years ago, but I can't find it any more.
Some googling resulted in a thread at Bioware forums:
http://forums.biowar...623427&forum=17
some "Useful Familiars" mod is mentioned there, but link is dead now.
I've also found some discussion on altering familiars that you might find useful:
http://www.borderkin...page;topic=42.0
but that is all I could find.
I believe many people would want to make some use of their familiars as current ones are only worth summoning for additional hp and then spend the rest of their lifes in invetories.

#4 StrixO

StrixO
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Does anyone have any pictures that would make good portraits for the familiars when they're engaged in dialogue? I think the pics of the Fairy Dragon and the Pseudo Dragon from NWN can be cannibalized, but I'm searching for the other familiars. I'm struggling to find an imp, mephit, and quasit.

Thanks!

EDIT: scratch that, the familiars from NWN (pseudo and fairy dragon) look terrible resized so small. I need portraits that are more face, less body.

Edited by StrixO, 11 February 2010 - 10:07 PM.