• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

Ugh.

So I started trying out the fresh Firewalker DLC...

Vechile facts:
-It has no sensors (Srsly... What's this shit about? xD)
-It Breaks down in record time when taking fire
-There is no damage display or a HP/Shield bar or ANYTHING, just an annoying beeping noise that easily is lost in the background during combat.
-The guided missile system provides no feedback whatsoever about which target is currently locked on (and on the flipside, which are therefore pretty much impossible to hit in the meantime)
-It takes damage/is instant-killed by some liquids, which makes no goddamn sense since it's a hover vechile. xD

Verdict: It's a P.O.S. vechile.

Gameplay facts:
-A combination of platformer style jumping around and antiquated 90s run-around shooter games.
-Saving during missions is disabled... And I've yet to see a single autosave spot... Which sucks more than you'd think, since because of the lack of a damage display and fast movement, hectic combat style, andeverything, the game seems to be progressing at a cakewalk pace right until the moment the reload screen pounces on you.
-There's some kind of an retarded "minigame" about having to keep the vechile steady in place while picking up resources/downloading stuff/anything (if you don't press buttons, it will drift off, for god knows what reason...)

Verdict: It's crap.

Yeah, just venting a bit. I was seriously expecting something better.
Heck, anything would be better than this; there are more impressive shooter games available for play these days on an internet browser fergawdssake... xP

EDIT:Nevermind what I whined about the cobmat... turns out most of the missions feature none of it. xP

Edited by WeeRLegion, 25 March 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#2 -Borked-

-Borked-

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Ugh.

So I started trying out the fresh Firewalker DLC...

Vechile facts:
-It has no sensors (Srsly... What's this shit about? xD)
-It Breaks down in record time when taking fire
-There is no damage display or a HP/Shield bar or ANYTHING, just an annoying beeping noise that easily is lost in the background during combat.
-The guided missile system provides no feedback whatsoever about which target is currently locked on (and on the flipside, which are therefore pretty much impossible to hit in the meantime)
-It takes damage/is instant-killed by some liquids, which makes no goddamn sense since it's a hover vechile. xD

Verdict: It's a P.O.S. vechile.

Gameplay facts:
-A combination of platformer style jumping around and antiquated 90s run-around shooter games.
-Saving during missions is disabled... And I've yet to see a single autosave spot... Which sucks more than you'd think, since because of the lack of a damage display and fast movement, hectic combat style, andeverything, the game seems to be progressing at a cakewalk pace right until the moment the reload screen pounces on you.
-There's some kind of an retarded "minigame" about having to keep the vechile steady in place while picking up resources/downloading stuff/anything (if you don't press buttons, it will drift off, for god knows what reason...)

Verdict: It's crap.

Yeah, just venting a bit. I was seriously expecting something better.
Heck, anything would be better than this; there are more impressive shooter games available for play these days on an internet browser fergawdssake... xP

EDIT:Nevermind what I whined about the cobmat... turns out most of the missions feature none of it. xP

Go play an internet browser game then for fuck's sake. You sure piss and moan excessively about trivial shit you got for free

#3 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

Go play an internet browser game then for fuck's sake. You sure piss and moan excessively about trivial shit you got for free

Hahaha. xD

#4 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:58 AM

You sure piss and moan excessively about trivial shit you got for free

Ugh. Just because it's free, it doesn't mean that I can't complain. Art galleries are free, but I can still critique it. If I got a free present, and opened it to just find some cancer, wouldn't I have the right to complain, even if it didn't cost me?

#5 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

Just ignore the caustic imbecile guest, that's what I'm going to do (Unless LULZ demands otherwise OFC). :cheers:

Edited by WeeRLegion, 27 March 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#6 -Caustic Imbecile-

-Caustic Imbecile-

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:08 AM

Well, well....
In all honesty, I agree somewhat with you're critique. I didn't like that the so called "tank" bouncing off the ground, having a seemingly paper thin hull, and beeped at you when it was about to explode. I didn't like that if I targeted one enemy and fired, the missile shot off into space, or hit the enemy next to it. The fact that it had no meters to show my damage or heads up display or fire and forget missiles just had me steaming mad. So I gathered my composure, learned that even though it was called a "hover tank" I had to take cover, not move when my "tank" was on fire, and keep my cursor closer to the target. With a little trial and error, I actually got through all 4 missions, and enjoyed myself (a little).

I agree with your critique.

I only wish this free DLC made me feel more like this:

You Tube Clip, nothing nasty, I swear!

Not like This

Critique away...be my guest.

Verdict: In my honest opinion, I like that Bioware is adding free content to an already great game. It just seems they held it back, and put it in as an after thought, to keep fans interested(After playing through the game 2 or three times). BioWare could have put the Firewalker DLC in the game when Mass Effect 2 came out (and polished it up a bit?)

Is This A Critique, or a Show of Aprreciation?

I want to believe...
that the dog thinks Coldplay sucks

Thank you for your critique.
Like all other reviews/critiques for movies, art, games, whatever; They can be a nice guide to finding something you would like, or what you might want to steer clear of. I like to read many, and get an idea of the general concensus. Many times I form my own opinions, as you have done. The world would be a very lonely place if people didn't speak they're mind.
If I was given a box of cancer ... I wouldn't complain if it was wrapped in blue and green wraping paper, with a blue and red ribbon! If it was wrapped in last week's wall street journal and thrown in a brown paper bag, damn right I'de complain! Upon opening it, I'de probably kill the person who gave it to me though. So no complaining about the cancer part, here. Especially if it was from someone I bought a car for the year before...
As for art galleries, some art I like, some I like less, but I dont yell at the top of my lungs, THIS IS CRAP!! Although sometimes I've wanted to.

imbecile - 6 dictionary results
im·be·cile   /ˈɪmbəsɪl, -səl or, especially Brit., -ˌsil/ Show Spelled[im-buh-sil, -suhl or, especially Brit., -seel] Show IPA
?noun
1.Psychology. a person of the second order in a former classification of mental retardation, above the level of idiocy, having a mental age of seven or eight years and an intelligence quotient of 25 to 50.
2.a dunce; blockhead; dolt.
?adjective
3.mentally feeble.
4.showing mental feebleness or incapacity.
5.stupid; silly; absurd.
6.Archaic. weak or feeble.
Although my wife has called me a blockhead, stupid and silly on occasion, I am NOTan imbecile!!! my IQ is less than 25, thank you very much!

Caustic Imbecile Out

#7 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:23 AM

So sorry good sir, I mistook you for a troll.

#8 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

Sooo... I just came back from firewalking for ~45 minutes.

Combat-wise, it really is awful. I didn't die once, because while the tank *appears* to be made of tissue paper (it caught on fire after like two hits), there's no need to get close enough for anything to be able to hit you. Tank's range is greater than enemies' range, and they just sit there while you cram rockets up their synthetic asses. Now, I love sniper rifles as much as the next guy (if the next guy is wearing a shirt with I <3 SNIPING printed on it) but that's just silly. It's a *tank*. They're not going to have a problem seeing and aiming at it. It's kind of funny that ME1 had the opposite problem, where you could have an enemy look like a tiny dot through a sniper scope and completely invisible to the naked eye and they'd *still* be able to hit you from halfway across the bloody planet, but I think this is worse.

Recovering things was dumb. If you can't keep the tank steady while it scans the ground, *land*!

As a platformer, though, it was pretty entertaining. Not as entertaining as rocket-boosting off a mountain with the Mako and spinning in the air for 20 seconds, but fun. I liked the lava level.

In the end, it feels like an aside. The Mako was part of the game; you took it everywhere, and it felt natural to have it around during those long overworld trips. The Hammerhead is just a minigame. You find it, use it for a handful of mini-missions, and it will never be mentioned again. Granted, there's not a lot of space for a hovertank in most of ME2's other missions, but it still feels like wasted potential.

#9 --Borked-

--Borked-

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

Sooo... I just came back from firewalking for ~45 minutes.

Combat-wise, it really is awful. I didn't die once, because while the tank *appears* to be made of tissue paper (it caught on fire after like two hits), there's no need to get close enough for anything to be able to hit you. Tank's range is greater than enemies' range, and they just sit there while you cram rockets up their synthetic asses. Now, I love sniper rifles as much as the next guy (if the next guy is wearing a shirt with I <3 SNIPING printed on it) but that's just silly. It's a *tank*. They're not going to have a problem seeing and aiming at it. It's kind of funny that ME1 had the opposite problem, where you could have an enemy look like a tiny dot through a sniper scope and completely invisible to the naked eye and they'd *still* be able to hit you from halfway across the bloody planet, but I think this is worse.

Recovering things was dumb. If you can't keep the tank steady while it scans the ground, *land*!

As a platformer, though, it was pretty entertaining. Not as entertaining as rocket-boosting off a mountain with the Mako and spinning in the air for 20 seconds, but fun. I liked the lava level.

In the end, it feels like an aside. The Mako was part of the game; you took it everywhere, and it felt natural to have it around during those long overworld trips. The Hammerhead is just a minigame. You find it, use it for a handful of mini-missions, and it will never be mentioned again. Granted, there's not a lot of space for a hovertank in most of ME2's other missions, but it still feels like wasted potential.

Excellent critique, thank you!

#10 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

I pretty much think Vilkacis' opinion is spot on. I didn't finish all of the Firewalker missions, but I think I've done enough now to form my own idea about the new vehicle. Its major flaw was not being able to sit still while scanning. Seriously, that was just annoying. However, I did like being able to jump unfavorable terrain, and found the Firewalker easier to "drive" than the MAKO. But the big problem with the Firewalker is that it feels like a mini-game, a footnote, an aside in the grand scheme of Mass Effect 2.
Perhaps the solution would be some sort of hybrid between the MAKO and the Firewalker, while keeping vast expanses of terrain like the ones we had in the first opus? That would seem like a good compromise.

Edited by Eleima, 01 May 2010 - 02:11 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#11 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

Mmmmmm... vast terrains with fast and smooth travel... :3
I can see that working out quite nicely.

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

I haven't had time to play it yet, but it doesn't sound too good from your descriptions... well, it didn't cost anything at least.

#13 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

I never thought I'd miss the Mako but ugh...yes, the Firewalker stuff is a big fail. For all the reasons mentioned above. I know it's free and someone spent hours working on it but damn, it was like BioWare had a junior game designer knock it up over a weekend. Not good, and doesn't fit well with the rest of the game. I'd rather scan planets. Really.

#14 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:34 AM

I'd rather scan planets. Really.

I haven't tried it yet, but that fact says it all for me. :o
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#15 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:16 AM

I disagree, I'd rather Firewalk than scan planets like in ME2 (the instant planet scanning in ME1 wasn't as bad). What we really, really need is the big maps from ME1. By all means, keep the writings of Matriach Dalinga, the League of One Medallions, the deposits, whatever. But better armor on the Firewalker, a radar at the very least. A Firewalker-MAKO hybrid, in one word! I'm starting to think that WeeRLegion was right all along...

EDIT: Awesome, awesome avatar, Pain Elemental!!!

Edited by Eleima, 01 May 2010 - 02:16 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#16 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

I disagree, I'd rather Firewalk than scan planets like in ME2 (the instant planet scanning in ME1 wasn't as bad). What we really, really need is the big maps from ME1. By all means, keep the writings of Matriach Dalinga, the League of One Medallions, the deposits, whatever.

Hmm, I can't say I was particular fond of the Mako in ME1. The driving was a awkward and I hated it when you come all the way to a site, only to find that you don't have enough Elektronics skill. :(
I hope that they figure out a new way to scan for materials that isn't tedious.

EDIT: Awesome, awesome avatar, Pain Elemental!!!

Hehehe, thanks :D
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#17 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:37 AM

Well I'm going to go a bit off topic here, alas something to say, but not about the paper clip Bone Wagon of ME2. :)

I hope that they figure out a new way to scan for materials that isn't tedious.

Actually this is probably one of the most confusing facts about Mass Effect, least that's what I think. Sometimes the best method is often the oldest one in the book - stop using military craft for probing planets, start using miners and mining craft for what they're supposed to be doing (rather than just, y'know, burning up in DLC content)!

Sure the whole mining business was meant to extend things, but all in all, there's really no logical reason why a military class frigate is doing the Martian thing, and probing planets (without consent from anybody, including the planet I might add) wherever they may be.

I don't know, but it just seems blazingly obvious here that it just made no sense for the Normandy to be doing all the mining grunt work instead of what she was built for - getting shot up every time someone's got laser beams and pidgeons. ^_^

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#18 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:02 AM

Firewalker was pretty crap. Only positive was the biotic damage upgrade, and you can do it early on.

Thank God it was free and I didn't waste money on it.

#19 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:53 AM

What Solar's Harper says! (Why the blazes is Shep wasting time mining when he should be saving the galaxy?)

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:42 AM

Firewalker is pretty useless... but at least it's free. Whatever BioWare can do with vehicles, it's not Descent.