Photo

Which BGII NPCs for a banter-heavy party?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

Recently, I came to a stunning realisation whilst surfing through this board again. I've been putting off a Dragon Age replay, citing my 'not having enough time' as the reason. As I read more and more threads on our favourite BG characters, what we remember about series, etc. I've come to realise what my real problem was.

It wasn't a lack of time, although that is a factor. It's because as amazing as Dragon Age is, the story and the characters never picked me up and threw me against the wall and demanded that I write fanfic for it like Baldur's Gate did. And after a few year hiatus from playing SoA and ToB, I think I'm ready to start again.

Whic brings me to this question. Which NPCs and which combination of NPCs would people suggest for a banter-heavy party? I'm probably going to be a good-aligned paladin, something I haven't played for absolutely ages. But I'm still not sure on who my party should comprise of yet.

Suggestions? :D

Edited by Shadowhawke, 29 March 2010 - 07:33 PM.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#2 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Jan, definitely. Probably Minsc and Jaheira as well, and maybe Aerie. I can't think of any others offhand, but Imoen, Cernd, Korgan, and Nalia are all disappointingly quiet, as I recall.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#3 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

Jan talks a lot in general... Minsc also talks alot and he is really funny! Jaheira likes to boss around and giving advices. Anomen also talks a lot (although a lot of people think hes whining...) about his family and the Order.

But it is really hard to say. Sometimes it depends on what other NPCs you take with.

I suggest you play this game. You won't regret it. Ok, I'm a bit biased (since BG2 is my favourite game of all time) but BG2 really is an excellent rpg with lots of banters.

Edited by princesspurpleblob, 29 March 2010 - 10:31 PM.

#4 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:10 AM

Ipsissimus: Thanks for letting me know about the quieter ones! I've only taken Imoen along with me out of that group, so it's good to know about the others.

princesspurpleblob: Thanks for reminding me of the NPCs I love! I think Minsc and Jaheira are definites at the moment. And admittedly, I have played BGII and ToB several times, it's just I think it's time for a replay ^_^ .

Any other recommenations?

Edited by Shadowhawke, 30 March 2010 - 02:14 AM.

#5 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:50 AM

If you want to use mods, Amber, Kelsey, Kivan and Xan have a lot of banters in Crossmod. Possible fifth member include Solaufein (doesn't banter with Amber, but has a lot of banters with the other three), Auren (same rationale as Solaufein), or a second custom PC (for Amber's romance). Amber is SoA-only, but you can swap her for Imoen to get Kelsey's romance in ToB.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#6 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

Keto's also quite talkative, and has crossmod with Amber, Xan, and Kelsey. Iylos in ToB has numerous crossmod banters, but I don't know about regular banters with the original NPCs. Sebastian and Andrei Luxley (Luxley family mod) talk extensively with the Bioware NPCs, each other, and the PC, but at the moment just have crossmod with Nathaniel. Angelo has quite a few banters with some characters--Imoen in particular--but none with Cernd, and only has crossmod with Xan, one-day Tiax, and Iylos. I think that Longer Road Irenicus has a fair amount of banters, but no crossmod.

I recall Haer'Dalis being pretty talkative as well, and it's interesting to see his romance/fling/friendship with Aerie play out.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice

#7 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

My recommended NPCs:

Anomen, Keldorn, Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo/Imoen. Kelsey (mod), Tsujatha (mod), Xan (mod). Crossmod pack is a must if you have more than 1 modded NPC in party. I never tried Hubblepot but he sounds really interesting. I didn't like Keto but she talks a lot from my memory.

#8 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

Not to get into a "mod vs mod" debate, but I found that the style of the Tsujatha mod jarred with the original banters, banter packs, and so on--far too much action text. Keto indeed talks a lot, and if you have her in the party, it's worth having Yoshimo around as well.

#9 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for your help! I must admit, I'm trying to run through this one with a canon party, so I think from this thread I'll be taking Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Viconia and Aerie, with the banter and flirt packs installed.

But I'll be certain to make note of your suggestions when the time comes to try modded NPCs! I must admit, I've only tried Kelsey and Solaufein in the past, so I'm curious to play some of the ones that have been mentioned. :)

#10 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for your help! I must admit, I'm trying to run through this one with a canon party, so I think from this thread I'll be taking Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Viconia and Aerie, with the banter and flirt packs installed.

But I'll be certain to make note of your suggestions when the time comes to try modded NPCs! I must admit, I've only tried Kelsey and Solaufein in the past, so I'm curious to play some of the ones that have been mentioned. :)

Don't forget IEP! There's some great content between Aerie, Jaheira and Viconia, if I recall.

#11 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

Ah, yes! IEP! Thanks for reminding me. ^_^

#12 Gomb

Gomb
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

Jaheira and Korgan also have some fun banters, I like taking them along in the same party.

#13 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

Chloe (mod NPC) has plenty of interesting dialog, especially if your main character is female and a warrior. I no longer use her, but always enjoyed having her in the party. Jaheira is good for banter, but I find her unfriendly and cold. Clearly, she has issues I've never seen to resolution in the game ;) Yoshimo's also a good talker.

Above all, my favorite mod NPC who has plenty to say is Kivan :)

- E

Edited by Eric P., 07 April 2010 - 08:41 AM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#14 Shard

Shard
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:47 AM

Vicona likes to talk alot, or should I say Snipe alot? Valygar and Mazzy have some good banter. Amnomen can be a windbag at times too. *heh*

#15 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

Yes... I haven't tried taking Viconia along in my party before, so I'm really looking forwards to it! :D

#16 -maplesyrup-

-maplesyrup-

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:48 AM

it's also a good idea to look into people who have interesting relations with each other, example,

Viconia - Keldorn (utter hate between the paladin and the drow)
Minsc - Edwin (why would they like each other all of a sudden? plus there's some great interactions which relates to a quest of Edwins XD)
Minsc - Nalia (I'd presume so but rarely use Nalia so can't really remember :S)

there's lots more of them,

Viconia clashes with alot of people anyway. . .

#17 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

Ah, Viconia and Keldorn... I might actually try that sometime, although I have a feeling theirs is a relationship that doesn't end well. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Edited by Shadowhawke, 12 June 2010 - 11:08 PM.

#18 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

I think you can talk them down from violence with the aid some mod or another. Someone else would probably know which.

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#19 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

The mod is IEP, Conflict Resolutions component. Also allows a peaceful Edwin/Minsc resolution.

#20 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

I don't think I've ever downloaded that, so maybe it's a component of a fixpack as well. I could be wrong though. Does it perhaps come with some of the individual IEP friendship?

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis