Icewind Dale II 3D acceleration

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 -dennis-

-dennis-

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:36 AM

Isn't that IWD2 is newer than BG2?

In BG2 and IWD there is an option which can enable OpenGL and 3D acceleration in the config, but there isn't in IWD2...

Does it mean that IWD2 doesn't use 3D acceleration at all?

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

Here's some bits and pieces that I gathered on the matter from old reviews:

Graphics: People who assume that the latest offering to take advantage of BioWare's Infinity Engine would logically be the most technologically advanced will likely spend a lot of time searching for the "enable 3D acceleration" button, because there isn't one - even though the first Icewind Dale included the feature. One resulting visual deficiency brought by the omission of 3D support is a dithered and pixel-laden "fog of war," rather than a smooth gradient over unexplored territories. Although higher resolutions are available, the maximum supported resolution is 800x600, which is functional enough without making the game appear too grainy or distancing the player too far from the action.

Icewind Dale 2 employs the Infinity Engine version used for Baldur's Gate II, and while 3D Acceleration for spell and light effects are no longer offered, Icewind Dale 2's visuals are noticeably sharper than anything I have seen on this engine before. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to spot my units in a thick fight.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 31 March 2010 - 07:42 AM.