Game is pretty tough...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 darthdave

darthdave
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

Spoilers below-

I started the game with a stalker. I got up to the ravine's 1st floor. After having a small bit of trouble with some of the hobgoblins; I got past them and went to the 2nd floor. After getting there, I fought some skeletons without any trouble. Then i was able to finally rest without someone screwing it up. I go down after exploring and sliting some throats with my stalker; only to find these snake like freaks that just cannot be beaten. I died like 3 times to them. Finally i figured they have one weapon class that can hurt them: Slashing types. It made sense, since they are like yuan tis. Anyway I tried using a +1 axe on the thing. Here's a problem; My guy is lvl 1. How in god's name am i supposed to even hurt the thing, let alone hit it. There's got to be an easier way to do this.

#2 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Two questions:
1) Do you mean the Sunless Citadel?
and 2) Do you just have your PC in the party?

I think that magic and potions can damage Yuan-Ti. But I don't remember any in the Sunless Citadel or Palace of the Silver Princess.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

Yes, the game is difficult, but it should be so, as the enemy stats are according to the original mods. Except the goblins the "Aurora's Shoes" add, as it adds the small dungeon before the ravine, but it's not in the main entrance, so I would recommend to avoid the place like a plague at the beginning.

1) Do you mean the Sunless Citadel?
and 2) Do you just have your PC in the party?

1) Yes, the ravine is on the rote to the Sunless Citadel... but you are supposed to go in there.
2) Actually the question is, who do you have in the party? As the PC is a bad choice to go alone. As one really needs a priest in the party from the beginning, and so the Ruric becomes the only option if you are not a divine caster yourself, unless you are able to get to Catharandamus in the Silver Princess castle or Erky in the Sunless Citadel.

And yes, there is no snake guy. Of course there is Meepo, who is un-kill-able, before you talk to him... and his wyvern, but you should be able to get to more than one than one party member to attack...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 12 April 2010 - 11:05 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

In the Sunless Citadel there are also two Thoqqua that can be hit with ANY magical weapon. They look like:
MMYCA1E_Frame9.png

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:11 AM

:doh:
Well, those, yeah, but one should try to go around them and kill the druid first... and then come back.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 darthdave

darthdave
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thoqqua. Yeah the picture is them. Those things are really friggin hard. I currently have a party of 4 people. It consists of:

Me=Stalker lvl 1.
Paraway=Elven Ranger lvl 2.
Rurik=Cleric 2/ fighter 1
Shadow= thief

Any suggestions...If anyone knows of any like other fighters are in the area...

#7 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

I ALWAYS get Dirbert in Oakhurst. He really racks up the damage with his bow (there are +1 arrows and I think some poison arrows in the Sunless Citadel, both of which should hurt the Thoqqua). Besides, Dirbert is supposed to be the the PC's best friend, having grown up together and then having each other for support as they cope with shared tragedy. It is not required you pick him up, though.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#8 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

Originally it was only Dirbert was the only fighter who could join, I created Paraway to take damage for a non fighter pc. My advice is you need both. Dirbert is the best ranged fighter of the game. He often kills most monsters with one hit.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#9 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Yes, they require magical weapons against them. These are some of the hardest creatures here to kill and give good XP because of it. Also, they are not part of the critical plot so you can skip them if you wish.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#10 darthdave

darthdave
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

I went around them. I ended up fighting the big cheese of the place. He wasn't too fun either. But i beat him. Now i went back to that kobold guy and they wont talk to me. I thought i picked up the dragon but i guess i didn't. My question is where is the dragon, It cant be in the outcast lair, that wouldnt make sense. Is it in the goblin fortress area?

#11 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

I just played through the first 2 levels of the Citadel, and the Thoqqua were annoying, but I managed, with PC cleric/mage, Shadow, Dirbert, and Erky. Dirbert had a +1 ax, Shadow a +1 shortsword, Erky a +1 staff, and my PC +1 bullets. I basically used Dirbert as a distraction while the rest of my party attacked, with PC and Erky casting healing spells as needed. The Thoqqua are only partially magic resistant, so a few magic missiles/burning hands helped too.
Calcryx? 2nd level of the Citadel, so yes, among the goblins. He looks like a white wyvern, if that helps. IIRC he's the room after the skeletons.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants