Photo

which parts of the fixpack edit torment.exe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:05 AM

A while ago I found a very nice C program that patches all infinity engine games to disable the CD check altogether, so I can play my games on my laptop which doesn't have a CD drive. The program goes along and checks before it writes things to make sure that the locations it wants to modify has the values in it that it expects. Something in the Ultimate Fixpack is modifying torment.exe so that when the program tries to do its stuff, it finds values it is not expecting, and gives up.

So I would like to figure out exactly what it is in the fixpack that is doing this and then, either skip that component, or edit the c file to take the new appropriate action. Unfortunately, I don't know how to find out what it is that a WeiDU.exe is going to do before it does it, or even if it is possible to find out by mortals other than qwinn. And I am at the stage of near-complete ignorance about the mechanics of these things that I don't even know what it is that I should be reading to learn if what I want to do is even possible.

Suggestions on how to become more enlightened?

Thanks very much

#2 -i30817-

-i30817-

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:10 AM

diff.

#3 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:03 AM

Use this patch of yours first and then install the fixpack.

#4 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

Use this patch of yours first and then install the fixpack.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. I have verified that this is a PS-Fix problem. I can install the widescreen mod, then your UI mod (thank you so very, very much for this by the way), and then unfinished business (where the things that need .WAV will fail but the rest of the components load) and the PS tweaks. At any point along the way in between these installs I can run my program, and the result works as expected. Now I haven't gotten out of the Hive yet, so I haven't exercised many of these changes, but, as far as I have explored with the new content, things seem to be working just great.

My problem is definitely with some part of the first part of the fixpack -- the part where all the fixes are. Something there changes things so that the check is back, and the scanner no longer finds what it is looking for at the offsets it is looking for.

I've been looking at the part of the tp2 that goes:

// ===================================== ENGINE FIXES ============================================

// Huge credit to Scient for providing the patch information

INCLUDE ~PST-Fix/tph/EngineFixes.tph~

// ====================== PLATTER'S FIXPACK 1.37 AND 1.38-BETA INCLUDE =========================

INCLUDE ~PST-Fix/tph/PFixpack.tph~

// ========== THE SKARDAVNELNATE's ALL INCLUSIVE PACK 20080408 (FIXES ONLY) INCLUDE ============

INCLUDE ~PST-Fix/tph/SkardFix.tph~

// ========================== RESTORATION PACK INCLUDE (FIXES ONLY) ============================

INCLUDE ~PST-Fix/tph/RestoFix.tph~

// ============================= QWINN'S ORIGINAL FIXES INCLUDE ================================

INCLUDE ~PST-Fix/tph/QwinnFix.tph~

Am I correct that if I comment out the INCLUDE lines, then these things will not be loaded, so I can find exactly which subcomponent is making the changes? However, once I have done this, is there anything more I can find out? Finally, I assume that .tph does not stand for'turbo pascal help' (files). So what are these things? (edit: ok, after reading http://weidu.org/~th...ADME-WeiDU.html I now know what tph files are.)

Thanks very much.

Edited by lac, 28 April 2010 - 07:47 AM.

#5 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

Look, essentially what you're using is a nocd patch and we shouldn't be discussing this here. I don't think there's a chance anyone will bother to check compatibility with the fixpack or other weidu mods. Probably the problem lies with the fact that it's for all IE games. Use Google and you may find one that is torment specific and works. Otherwise you can simply make images of your torment CD's, copy the images into your laptop and install from a virtual drive. Then mount CD2 on the v-drive and play.