• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:59 AM

According to executive producer Casey Hudson, Overlord is the "biggest downloadable content pack yet" for Mass Effect 2. Available in June for 560 points (£4.60, $7), it adds in five new uncharted worlds, amounting to a fully voiced, self-contained episode that can be played either before or after completion of the game proper.

More info and pics <A HREF="http://uk.gamespot.c...views">here</A> or <A HREF="http://www.gamerzine...html">here</A>.

Edited by vilkacis, 13 May 2010 - 05:59 AM.

#2 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Hmmm...at least it stands to be note worthy but yeah whats the point of the cerberus network when most of the DLC we have gotten is not free?

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

End Game Spoilers

I see a few problems here:

A) I don't give a jack about Cerberus, having told the Illusive Man to get lost after destroying the Collector base. I also made off with his most valued starship and crew members.

B) If character importing from ME2 to ME3 is handled the same way as character importing from ME1 to ME2, the invisible final save after ME2's ending will be used. This would mean that anything done after finishing the game wouldn't carry over. Obviously they could fix this by allowing character importing from any save after ME2's ending.

Unless I get confirmation about B, I definitely won't buy this one. For the record, I did buy Kasumi and finish the game with her in the crew, but playing her quest after the game's ending would just be useless and unnecessary in my opinion.

Official Description:

When sent to investigate a Cerberus research base that's mysteriously gone silent, Shepard arrives to find Geth overrunning the base. The sole survivor, Chief Scientist Archer, paints a dire picture: an experiment to fuse a human volunteer with a virtual intelligence created a dangerous hybrid "VI overlord". The rampaging VI has already attacked three other Cerberus bases, controlling any technology it finds in an attempt to break free?and unleashing Geth across the planet. Unless Shepard can infiltrate the VI's fortress and shut it down, this homicidal intelligence will beam itself-off planet and wreak havoc on other systems. The action unfolds over five new level areas, with two new achievements.

Price:
Xbox 360: 560 MS Points
PC: 560 BioWare Points

*Coming Soon

#4 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:19 AM

So, what, you're saying you'll never replay the game?

ME2 has no hidden saves. Any save that has End Game State:LivedToFightAgain can be imported for a second cycle, and this is most likely what ME3 will go off as well.

Don't expect DLC misions to have any effect beyond *maybe* an email, anyway.

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

It'll probably be years from now if I replay it. I have very good visual memory, and considering that I did everything there was to do in the game for me, I don't see a replay coming up any sooner. The game just wouldn't have anything to offer me unless I actually forgot some of it, and I definitely won't start a new game to play DLC unless there's a lot more of it available later on.

And yes, if they go about the character importing as you think, then that problem is obviously solved. Also, you're probably right about the DLC missions not making a big difference in ME3, but some DLC (Zaaed, Kasumi) hopefully will be noted at least, depending on whether you had them active during ME2 or not.

#6 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Wait, I'm confused... Only *one* playthrough? At the very least, I would've thought there should be two playthroughs: Paragon and Renegade. That was the case for me, the third was a bonus Paragade, and yet I'm still planning extra playthroughs ("planning" is the key word here, not sure I'll have time).

Back on topic... This new "Overlord" looks mildly intriguing, which is probably the best any recent DLC can say. I've been pretty much "underwhelmed" by most DLC so far, with perhaps the exception of Kasumi (although I was kinda annoyed that she thought my active romance was broken off, go figure). Maybe I'll shell out the 500 BioWare points when the time comes, who knows...

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#7 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Looks better than "Darkspawn Chronicles", anyway.

And yeah, I'm finishing up my second playthrough of ME2 myself now. By the time ME3 rolls around, I'd like to have 3, one with Miranda, one with Kelly and *maybe* one where I'm still with Ashley, though honestly, I'm starting to realize that she only seemed like a decent romance option in ME1 because Liara was so awful by comparison. Heck, may just have to make it with Tali instead, on the chance that in ME3 you only get to find out what quarians look like if you're romancing her, heh.

#8 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

OT... A new playthrough could be marginally different with renegade choices, but I don't see how it could turn out to be so different as to make up for the time spent on it. I would find the game too repetitive to complete when there are other games available. ME2 isn't DA.

Edit: One playthrough, time played: 64 hours according to my last save game.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 15 May 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#9 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:02 AM

If you only go paragon in one game and only renegade in another, I'd think those two would be pretty wildly different games, at least as far as the consequences in ME3 will be.

That said, I generally do *both* paragon and renegade... In fact, I'm at over 90% of the bar full in both on my current playthrough. I just like having both bars full enough that I always have both options available to me. It *is* doable, at least if you've imported a character where you got 190 points in both to start with. For me personally, working both generally means I wind up taking Renegade choices when they don't really matter (i.e. snarkier dialogue, the trial in Tali's loyalty mission, etc.), and usually Paragon when it does matter, because usually the Paragon choice seems to have better odds of a favorable outcome in ME3. If you play *that* way, then yes, you probably won't get a lot of variation in additional games because there's not a lot of wiggle room in terms of the choices you can make and still keep both bars mostly full.

#10 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:58 AM

Personally I mix and match those, like kicking a certain merc through the window in Thane's recruitment mission, but being a stand-up guy for the common citizen in the Forged ID quest and so on. The game's ending is a paragon/renegade choice as well, but replaying that short segment for an alternative save game isn't too time-consuming.

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

Some news on Overlord... you can catch some new screens at HolyFragger, and an interview from EA's London press event at Voodoo Extreme. Not too much info, but the screens show some new stuff.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Archmage Silver, 20 May 2010 - 09:41 AM.