Regarding Nathaniel?s portraits?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Amadera

Amadera
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

Hello,

I would like to change Nathaniel?s portraits, but I can?t seem to be able to do it.

I use the following file names: ?NATH1M? and ?NATH1S?.

I have copied my favourite portraits for him in my BGII - Soa/Override file, but when I load the game, there is no portrait showing in my icon thingy, nor in the profile section.

Also, I?ve tried copying the files to Nat?s own portraits file, but to no avail.

Please help.

Thank you : )

Oh, and I would like to add that the portraits which were made for him are very nice indeed, nothing wrong with them ? I just like choosing my own.
Too, I have not had time to try him yet ? I?ve only just installed him ?, but Nathaniel seems well made. Judging from his introduction, he is well written and very engaging, can?t wait to know more about him.

#2 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:00 AM

Hello,

I would like to change Nathaniel?s portraits, but I can?t seem to be able to do it.

I use the following file names: ?NATH1M? and ?NATH1S?.

I have copied my favourite portraits for him in my BGII - Soa/Override file, but when I load the game, there is no portrait showing in my icon thingy, nor in the profile section.

Also, I?ve tried copying the files to Nat?s own portraits file, but to no avail.

Please help.

Thank you : )

Oh, and I would like to add that the portraits which were made for him are very nice indeed, nothing wrong with them ? I just like choosing my own.
Too, I have not had time to try him yet ? I?ve only just installed him ?, but Nathaniel seems well made. Judging from his introduction, he is well written and very engaging, can?t wait to know more about him.

This may help. Also, if the details check out, but the portrait still doesn't show up in the game, you might want to open and save the image(s) using a different image editing program. I've noticed that portraits don't show up when I save them using Photoshop CS, but they do when I save them using Photoshop 5.5 (!). One more reason to keep older versions of software around, I guess ;)

Good luck,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#3 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

Make sure the new portraits are the right sizes and format--they have to be in .bmp format, or they don't display. Also, check the original portrait names. It could be that there's a prefix before the name--for instance, Angelo's portraits are ADAngelM.bmp and ADAngelS.bmp, since AD is that mod's prefix. If that's missing, it might be the problem. Maybe also rename his existing portrait?
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#4 -Amadea-

-Amadea-

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

This may help. Also, if the details check out, but the portrait still doesn't show up in the game, you might want to open and save the image(s) using a different image editing program. I've noticed that portraits don't show up when I save them using Photoshop CS, but they do when I save them using Photoshop 5.5 (!). One more reason to keep older versions of software around, I guess ;)

Good luck,
Eric

Thank you for the reply.

About the link you posted, those are exactly the parameters I use for my portraits. In fact I?ve tried a few on Nathaniel ? which work fine for any other characters ?, but they just don?t show up.

And just to be on the safe side, I?ve tried saving them in another less recent photo editor, as you?ve advised, but it did not change anything.

It?s weird. It should work. I do this all the time and have no problem whatsoever. :/

#5 -Amadea-

-Amadea-

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

Make sure the new portraits are the right sizes and format--they have to be in .bmp format, or they don't display. Also, check the original portrait names. It could be that there's a prefix before the name--for instance, Angelo's portraits are ADAngelM.bmp and ADAngelS.bmp, since AD is that mod's prefix. If that's missing, it might be the problem. Maybe also rename his existing portrait?

I?ve deleted all other official Nathaniel portraits and replaced them with some previously tested ones, so the portraits I am using cannot be the cause of the problem.

As for the file names, the names were copied and pasted; so if there is a prefix to be added, I really don't know what it could be.
So far as I have seen, copy/paste usually works fine. For instance, both Kivan and Kelsey mods use the "#" sign and very specific file names, and I've had no problem changing their portraits.

But thanks for the reply.

#6 -Amadera-

-Amadera-

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:27 AM

Got it!

Reinstalled the mod, went through all my ?.bmp? in ?Soa?, and found the culprit!

I had said portraits, ?NATHM? and ?NATHS? ? as opposed to ?NATH1M? and ?NATH1S?, don?t ask! ? in my override folder. I guess they were copied there when I reinstalled and chose ?portraits option 1?.

Whatever the case, I replaced them and it works? at last. Meh, I know I probably came across as a newb, but the thingy was really bugged? :blink:

So, to Eric P. and Ipsissimus, thanks again for taking the time to reply. It was greatly appreciated.

On another note, my compliments to Feuille and Miss Sakaki. :Bow: Nathaniel is a wonderful mod! After only a few hours of meeting him, I've adopted him. He?s extremely well written, feels very real and already affects my game play. Great work!