• 155 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:36 AM

No... just no.

#3 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Gah, the scriptwriter is Mark Protosevich, the guy who massacred Matheson's novel, I am Legend. Well, at least it's not an Uwe Boll production.

#4 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

Someone suggested Samuel L Jackson as Shepard.

...this must happen.

#5 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

Someone suggested Samuel L Jackson as Shepard.

...this must happen.

Heheh. Yeah, but only if he plays the Extreme Renegade Shepard

#6 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

From what I've read, they're only talking about it, so it could be years and years away. Honestly, I'm not sure I feel excited by this... As one journalist said, "Why would I want to *watch* Shepard when I've already *been* Shepard?". And the voicing and music being so paramount to me (I seem to have a picky ear), I wouldn't be satisfied unless Jack Wall did the soundtrack, and the voice actors reprised their roles (and I don't care what they look like). And if Wing Commander was any example, great video games rarely make good films. So I'll be waiting to see this with some trepidation...

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#7 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:53 AM

Name one movie that is based on a video game and has quality...

Yeah, that's what I thought too. There aren't any.

#8 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:57 AM

Name one movie that is based on a video game and has quality...

Posted Image---AND--- Posted Image :P

Ah well, let's say that the Hitman and Max Payne movies were... watchable.

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

I wonder who at BioWare (or is it EA now, I get so confused ;)) thought that it's a good idea to let people make a movie of your top game series, when all previous game-to-film conversions are what they are.

Ah well, let's say that the Hitman and Max Payne movies were... watchable.

Heh, if you say so. ;)

#10 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

If anything it'll act like a form of advertising that they themselves really needn't pay for. Heck, whether it turns out bad or not, there'll probably still be a large viewer base - at least for the first few months. And it could be worse after all. ;)

I wonder who at BioWare (or is it EA now, I get so confused ;))

Give or take a decade, it'll end up being only EA eventually. Unless somehow they get luckier than the people of Westwood did. Not that it's anything more than a cosmetic individuality thing, eh.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#11 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

Ugh I hope this doesn't come to fruition.

#12 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hitman was watchable. I haven't seen Max Payne yet, but I heard it wasn't too bad a film. Wing Commander (the movie) was just lame.

However, I can't see any way in which a Mass Effect movie that actually starred Shepard could be any good. I agree with the sentiment - why watch Shepard when you can -be- Shepard? If the movie were just set in the ME universe and added to the backstory, without trying to address the main ME storyline directly, it might be all right, but even then probabilities still say suckage likely.

#13 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

Hitman was fairly entertaining but Max Payne was bad. Visually they did a good job - the lighting was evocative of the in-game graphics, but the story was bad.
I think the Prince of Persia movie could potentially be quite fun, but there aren't many good adaptations of games around.

#14 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

The Prince of Persia movie was mediocre, at best. Bad choices for the two protagonists, IMO. Good effects, but the overdose of obvious CGI was a bit too much at some scenes.

As for the Hitman and Max Payne movies, I think they're of similar quality more or less, with Hitman being a bit better. It's just that Max Payne was much more story-focused as a game and that's why it was more disappointing for the fans. The Hitman movie was easier to make since none of the games focused much on a central story.

Edited by ghostdog, 28 May 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#15 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:40 AM

EA and Funimation Entertainment Announce Mass Effect Anime Movie Deal @ IGN

#16 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:49 AM

What little faith I had left in EA is now dead and mounted above the fireplace.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#17 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

Oh f*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Y-

#18 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

The best game-to-movie adaptation ever was Postal by Uwe Boll.

But hey, ME is very cinematic, so I see no reason to pre-hate the idea of a ME movie. A ME anime, OTOH, is the sort of Wapanese cancer that is destroying Bioware (see: DA2).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#19 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

I personally like the idea of an anime ME movie, if its well designed it could come out nice.

For example the Dead Space movies between the games I considered a success and I can't wait for the next one if its gonna be made. It is a good idea.

Why should only games be made after movies, like I've seen a trend recently? Its time for great games to have some great movies.

Any producer out there interested in making a Baldur's Gate Movie? :lol:

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

I'm with Yovaneth and the bigg on this. I just don't see how this could be good. I would have at least considered buying the blu-ray when it hit the bargain bin if it hadn't been an anime movie.