Worldmap for a simple BGT install, locations way off?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 -Ithildur-

-Ithildur-

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:16 AM

Unfortunately I'm not at my machine with the game installed so I can't post my weidu log, but basicly it's a fairly straightforward BW BGT install without any big mods (TDD, NEJ, etc). The only mods are ones that mod/tweak the basic BG1/totsc and BG2/tob areas such as SCSI and II, BG2Tweaks, and obviously, BGT Weidu.

So I was all excited about finding this worldmap mod, and the jpg file of the map itself is brilliant, magnificent.

Installing the mod produced the first surprise when it did not give me the option to install the smaller of the two maps (very confusing btw, that the tp2 refers two the two versions with interchangable names, sometimes calling the 'huge' map the 'large' map, the smaller map the 'large' map, etc); it tells me the 'huge' map is required, in spite of the fact I do not have any mods that add areas that show up on the overland map.

That's fine, I can live with a map that shows rashamen, chult, etc even though they're completely unnecessary/unrelated to the game I'm playing. It still looks pretty, I just have to deal with scrolling a bit more ingame to get to various areas I thought.

Installation completed, I went to start a new BGT game and left candelkeep, watched gorion die, imoen joined, etc. I went south towards High Hedge (simply because it's a shorter walk to the south edge of the area map), clicked on the edge, and voila! the magificent looking world map showed up, with the familiar areas of BG1 showing up (not all areas right away, of course, as it should be) such as Friendly Arms, nashkel, Beregost, HH, etc... all fine except I noticed... all these areas are located near... Silverymoon and the High Forest??? To my dismay I found the entire BG1 overland map areas seem to have been transported hundreds and thousands of miles north of their canon locations, in fact, northeast of Waterdeep.

I tried reinstalling several times, to no avail. Every time it came up the same, the familiar areas of BG1 showing up NE of Waterdeep near the High Forest and Silverymoon, which to anyone that's familiar with FR geography is totally offputting. Candlekeep being landlocked instead of being by the coast was definitely jarring.

Is this a bug or something that was done intentionally to make room for other big mods, etc? Please tell me it's a bug, as my purpose in installing a map like this is completely nullified if the locations are in fact, way way off on purpose. It's still pretty, sure, but it's completely wrong...

#2 -Ithildur-

-Ithildur-

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

The lack of support/response is disappointing, as is the mod itself which had tremendous potential to add depth and aesthetic value to the game. Ah well, uninstalled it and had to figure out I needed to get rid of the Big World 'fix' for worldmap as well in order to get a working, sensible worldmap for BGT again.

All in all, lesson learned: do not use BW setup and associated mods for a BGT game but install manually; all it does is result in a bloated install with dozens of mediocre mods that detract rather than add to the enjoyment of the game for me and lots of errors.

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:04 AM

Well, considering the lack of proper information in the first post, no WeiDU.log, and there is no such definition that says what in the cheese this 'BW BGT' is and the BGT(-WeiDU) is a big mod(as its install result files actually takes 1-1.5 Gb's from your hard drive)... considering it as not, doesn't really help your cause...

Still, if the BW-BGT is reference to the BWS'es minimal install or some other... , then you should follow it's line of information and post your problems here.
And you do know that the BWS has the 'Further customization of your mod-settings' option that you can use to remove all the undesirable mods you do not wish to install...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 08 June 2010 - 03:09 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

I seem to have ended up with the exact same problem; all BG1 locations end up somewhere north of Waterdeep. I've had this across several installs now, with several mod combinations. Getting to be very frustrating. I managed to fix it once by unistalling the compatibility fix for FFT which changed the worldmap; but hadn;t installed it this time, and still got the same error.

Other mods installed that change the worldmap: Elistraee's song, Innershade, Tales of the Deep Garden, and SCSII - Move Watcher's Keep to end of SoA. FFT is installed, but without the world map component. Any advice on how to deal with this, or failing that, hoiw to root out all components of the world map so I can install a completely fresh copy?

Not posing my WEIDU as I've fiddled with it, and it's no longer accurate.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#5 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

I seem to have ended up with the exact same problem; all BG1 locations end up somewhere north of Waterdeep. I've had this across several installs now, with several mod combinations. Getting to be very frustrating. I managed to fix it once by unistalling the compatibility fix for FFT which changed the worldmap; but hadn;t installed it this time, and still got the same error.

Other mods installed that change the worldmap: Elistraee's song, Innershade, Tales of the Deep Garden, and SCSII - Move Watcher's Keep to end of SoA. FFT is installed, but without the world map component. Any advice on how to deal with this, or failing that, hoiw to root out all components of the world map so I can install a completely fresh copy?

I have something in the works that should, as a side-effect, fix this problem, but it's a ways off from being released. As an interim solution I would suggest you install the mod with the smaller worldmap size. (The problem is seemingly that you get small-map coordinates regardless of what map size you choose.)

Or maybe you'll have all the areas hiked up to your shoulders that way, because it'll try to do a large-map->small-map conversion on the small-map coordinates.

Edited by Wisp, 16 August 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#6 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

I'd be more than happy to test it for you :) ;)

I'd try the smaller map - but the install automatically chooses the huge map; probably because I have Shadows of Soubar installed.

Thanks for the advice :)

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:48 PM

Other mods installed that change the worldmap: Elistraee's song, Innershade, Tales of the Deep Garden, and SCSII - Move Watcher's Keep to end of SoA. FFT is installed, but without the world map component. Any advice on how to deal with this, or failing that, how to root out all components of the world map so I can install a completely fresh copy?

Uninstall the game using the Control Panel, delete the game folder and then reinstall the game ... install the mods and then post your WeiDu.log's content. Yeah, the content(open the file with notepad), not the file.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

Hey Jarno, thanks for the advice; I'd like to avoid doing a complete reinstall if possible, but I'll bear than in mind if/when I need to.

Wisp: I fiddled with the worldmaps, and installed the small version - which put the BG locations back in their proper place, but sadly dumped the BG2 locations in one of the southern seas. I may have to play through the BG1 section, then fiddle with the worldmap again before I play the BG2 section.

#9 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

Wisp: I fiddled with the worldmaps, and installed the small version - which put the BG locations back in their proper place, but sadly dumped the BG2 locations in one of the southern seas. I may have to play through the BG1 section, then fiddle with the worldmap again before I play the BG2 section.

I'll see if I can have something ready some time soon.

#10 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

That would be awesome, thank you :) It's no big deal for now, it's more an aesthetic irritation than anything else.