• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

I believe Madae was a priestess that Iyachtu Xvim, but didn't Icweind Dale II take place quite a while before Xvim's rise? Or was Xvim an entity long before he became a demideity? Anyone have his birthday?

On the Isair and Madae wikipedia page here, it claims that the twins were born in 1222 DR and died in 1312 DR, at the age of 90. But didn't Icewind Dale I, which preceded Isair and Madie, take place 30 years before the second game?

I know that most of these are probably human error, but I'm trying to sort things out in my mind.

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#2 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

I found a place where it is mentioned that he appeared on Toril in 710 DR, but it would still be nice if someone could help me firm up the timeline. Seems his power trip was a bit of a roller coaster ride.

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#3 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

From the FR Wiki article:

In 710 DR Iyachtu Xvim emereged from a portal above the city of Westgate and backed by a large army of tiefling warriorsand demons, siezes the Westgate throne. Xvim's tyrannical rule is ended in 734 DR when he is driven out by Farnath Ilistar the rightful heir to the throne.

During the Time of Troubles, the then-demigod Xvim was imprisoned within the depths of Zhentil Keep. Shortly after his father's demise and the end of the Time of Troubles, Iyachtu Xvim was able to make contact with several former banite priests who had fled underground following the events of the Banedeath of 1361 DR. After a few years of deliberation, the banites decide to recognize Xvim as the rightful heir to Bane and tapping into thier faith, he began working to free himself from his prison.

In Ches 1369 DR, with the aid of his new acolytes, Xvim breaks free of his prison beneath the ruins of Zhentil Keep and is granted his father's portfolios of Hatred, Strife, and Tyranny, elevating him to the status of a Lesser deity.

For little over a decade, Xvim reigned as a minor god, a feeble successor to his fearsome sire. During his existence, Xvim was petty, power-hungry, and ruthless, in some ways like his father. However, he was not nearly as strong, especially in comparison with the other "new" deity in the Faerûnian pantheon, Cyric.

On Midwinter night of 1372 DR, the young god was consumed by a blazing green fire, from which emerged a resurrected Bane. Nearly all former clerics of Xvim (who in turn shifted to his allegiance after the death of his father) re-pledged themselves to the Church of Bane. Xvim is now considered a dead god, and for as long as his father holds on to divinity, he will probably remain as such.

Iyachtu Xvim
710-1372, RIP

Edited by Ipsissimus, 31 May 2010 - 08:49 PM.

And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#4 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

Iyachtu Xvim
710-1372, RIP

:crying:

So he was a demigod in 1310, the time of the game? Are demigods generally capable of granting spells, like the powers Madae has at her disposal?

There's a big blank spot between his emergance and the Time of Troubles, so should we assume this is a creative liscense thing? Or does someone have a book or website that offers explanation for what was going on with him in this massive time period?

#5 Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Colonial Marine

• 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

Iyachtu Xvim
710-1372, RIP

So he was a demigod in 1310, the time of the game? Are demigods generally capable of granting spells, like the powers Madae has at her disposal?

There's a big blank spot between his emergance and the Time of Troubles, so should we assume this is a creative liscense thing? Or does someone have a book or website that offers explanation for what was going on with him in this massive time period?

JR--> :crying: :wub: <--Me

Xvim--> :devil: :wub: <--Me

Oh, he won't be resting in peace if I have anything to say about it. ;)
Corporal Hicks, Dwayne C. (Serial Number A27/TQ4.0.48215E9)

"well the god we all praise and worship was not aware of his full potential till one fate full night, He was just out of medical school and brought to c-sec prison for the "murder" of some teachers that did not amuse MR.HEART, so what would anyone else do in that situation but murder the infidels. While he was in c-sec he was the one everyone would think would be a good target for there own "plesure" if you know what I mean!!! So people would try to hurt the young salarian, But he put them in there place and he was praised,scum there think they have been through hell but they haven't even made it to the front gate before they met the doctor and one night while his cell mate was sleeping he started to refresh his medical abilities and that was the night where he was blessed by his brother Ardenor crush to clone or "bless" others with a second or multiple organs and the guards figured this out and they went to take the doctor away, but really the doctor had the plan of making his cell mate look like a "god" and look like the doctor so they took the wrong person and the real,hot,amazing,clever,good doctor escaped and for years no one knew he was alive since the cell mate was put to death, but the real doctor could never die ahahahhahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha"

#6 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Oh, he won't be resting in peace if I have anything to say about it. ;)

Are you seriously implying that you want to dig up the grave of a devil who ended up exploding into a worse devil and have relations with the remains?

#7 Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Colonial Marine

• 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:21 PM

No I'm just gonna make out with him a little.

"well the god we all praise and worship was not aware of his full potential till one fate full night, He was just out of medical school and brought to c-sec prison for the "murder" of some teachers that did not amuse MR.HEART, so what would anyone else do in that situation but murder the infidels. While he was in c-sec he was the one everyone would think would be a good target for there own "plesure" if you know what I mean!!! So people would try to hurt the young salarian, But he put them in there place and he was praised,scum there think they have been through hell but they haven't even made it to the front gate before they met the doctor and one night while his cell mate was sleeping he started to refresh his medical abilities and that was the night where he was blessed by his brother Ardenor crush to clone or "bless" others with a second or multiple organs and the guards figured this out and they went to take the doctor away, but really the doctor had the plan of making his cell mate look like a "god" and look like the doctor so they took the wrong person and the real,hot,amazing,clever,good doctor escaped and for years no one knew he was alive since the cell mate was put to death, but the real doctor could never die ahahahhahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha"

#8 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

You're not fooling me for a second; I know those bony old lips won't be enough to slake your wicked lusts.

#9 Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Colonial Marine

• 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

You know me too well.. Way too well if you catch my drift ;)

#10 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

...Ipsy? A little help here?

#11 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

Iyachtu Xvim
710-1372, RIP

Demigods and exarchs, as well as lesser deities, are indeed capable of granting spells. Often with less power than the greater deities, but it's there nonetheless. The rankings seem to be just measures of power in relation to the other gods, determining how much power they can grant. Kiaransalee, Drow goddess of undeath; Savras, lord of divination; and Velsharoon, archmage of necromancy. All were quite powerful. IIRC Alaundo was a devotee of Savras. But all of them as of 4th ed are considered dead gods: Azuth, Savras and Velsharoon were all killed when Cyric slew Mystra, thus causing the Spellplague. Lloth apparently destroyed Kiaransalee's influence in a game of sava, using Drow high magic. Kiaransalee might be alive, but was apparently erased from collective Faerunian memory.

As for more information, try Candlekeep. Lots of handy articles there. Failing that, try the Wizards of the Coast site.

Edited by Ipsissimus, 31 May 2010 - 10:17 PM.

And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice

#12 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

I meant help with the more obvious problem. ^ up there ^

Though I thank you for answering the question. Also it mentions on the widipedia page that it can be assumed Torm was a demideity before the time of troubles. But vague wikipedia pages are not particularly reliable. I always got the feeling that Torm was more of an established power. Can anyone confirm or refute the status provided?

#13 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

I never interfere with family debates :P

Apparently, Torm was formerly a demipower/exarch, but gained prestige in the Time of Troubles when his faithful helped to keep one of the missing Tablets of Fate safe, and when his own avatar destroyed Bane but was destroyed in the process. Torm's actions were sufficient to warrant a resurrection by Ao the Overgod, at which point he was became a far more powerful deity (intermediate rank), and was considered a part of the Triad of "typical" paladin gods--the others being Tyr and Ilmater, with Torm the nexus of sorts that kept the three gods united. In 1385 DR after the Spellplague, Torm was granted Tyr's power, becoming a greater deity.

How is that vague?

#14 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

I suppose it's because I'm used to reading about these things in novel or handbook form, which is why I would've considered the information there to be a snippet.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out exactly what extent Torm was worshipped before achieving the "lesser deity" status, and everything I look at is faily cloudy before the Time of Troubles. I'm making a paladin of Torm in an IWD2 setting and I'm wondering how well-known the god would be, how figured-out the "modern" description of his worship would be at that time, etc. I might have to find some first and second edition books or somesuch.

#15 Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Colonial Marine

• 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

I suppose it's because I'm used to reading about these things in novel or handbook form, which is why I would've considered the information there to be a snippet.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out exactly what extent Torm was worshipped before achieving the "lesser deity" status, and everything I look at is faily cloudy before the Time of Troubles. I'm making a paladin of Torm in an IWD2 setting and I'm wondering how well-known the god would be, how figured-out the "modern" description of his worship would be at that time, etc. I might have to find some first and second edition books or somesuch.

Is it just me or did you just SCREW THE HELL UP! "I look at is faily cloudy" Last time i checked, faily isnt a word. I expect an IOU from you to be retreived by me at a time of my choosing, butthole. The nerve of some ppeople

#16 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

I suppose you necroposting this thread was appropriate, given your previous necrophillic statements. Very well, IOU for my sticky keyboard and dyslexia causing me to misspell the word "fairly." Please, oh please, forgive me.

#17 Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Colonial Marine

• 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

I suppose you necroposting this thread was appropriate, given your previous necrophillic statements. Very well, IOU for my sticky keyboard and dyslexia causing me to misspell the word "fairly." Please, oh please, forgive me.

To quote Sergeant Johnson from Halo, "I don't have time for your lip soldier! I gave you an order!"

Also, to quote myself, "Oooo, necrophillia, I'm in!"

#18 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

Sergeant Johnson is just about the coolest person ever, but I don't see how that quote is applicable here; I already did what you asked of me.

Quick, say something about Xvim so this thread doesn't get locked down for a combination of idiocy and off-topic-ness. Not that, and not that. The third thing you were going to say, after *edited for content* and *edited for content*

#19 Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Colonial Marine

• 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

but I dont know anything about Xvim. Come to think of it, maybe I shouldnt be talking in this thread in the first place. Or necroposting it to the top for that matter.

#20 -JR-

-JR-

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

You think?