• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

Erhm, is the error that the game reports alike this:

An Assertion failed In F:\Torment\source\chitin\ChVidPal.cpp at line number 1124

If so, you need to reinstall the game and remove the CD/DVD from your drive before you install any mods... but before you install any mods, to make sure start the game and make sure you can get pass this bug... and install the patch if you need it... and follow the guide here.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 18 September 2012 - 05:36 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#22 -Da_GPer-

-Da_GPer-

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

Why do I need to reinstall a game that was just installed? That makes no sense.

#23 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

Why do I need to reinstall a game that was just installed? That makes no sense.

Because the computer thinks the mod stored the data into your CD/DVD ... and now it's searching the data from there, but fails.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#24 -Da_GPer-

-Da_GPer-

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

OK. I followed your instructions to a tee, exactly as you said and also followed the instructions on that web site exactly as told. Still got the error. I think the error is coming from the Ghostdog UI.

#25 -Da_GPer-

-Da_GPer-

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Anyone know how to fix this problem yet?

#26 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Other than the fact that this assertion seems to be somehow related to the CD/DVD drive, I really can't see how and if my UI affects this.

Have you used a no-cd crack ? These cracks tend to break things with PST.

Maybe you could try making Images of your PST CDs and installing the game from a virtual drive (Daemon Tools) and see if this solves your problem.

#27 -Da_GPer-

-Da_GPer-

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

No. I am not using a no CD crack and I have also tried an ISO as well. It still wont work. I know that when the UI is not installed though, even with every other mod installed, including the widescreen mod, it works fine. Its when the UI gets installed that the error shows up.

#28 -Michael_Galt-

-Michael_Galt-

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

I think you need to download this: http://www.mediafire...owdf9471au0mqn4 and then drop it into your game folder. Worked for me.

#29 -MDB-

-MDB-

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

No solutions to this yet? I'm fairly sure it's not a CD/DVD issue, as I'm using the GOG version which doesn't/shouldn't have anything to do with a CD/DVD drive. And it only has to do with the UI mod, as others have said. All other mods work fine. It's only when the UI mod is installed that it crashes. Uninstall it, and it works again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Win7 64 here.

#30 -MDB-

-MDB-

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

AND, it seems to only happen when dialogue is initiated (with anyone). Not sure if that helps narrow it down...

#31 -wikked-

-wikked-

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

I get the same error with a line "no valid video modes supported" when I try to start the game with the UI mod, works fine otherwise, I also have GOG version and Win XP 32bit..

I tried my native 1920x1080 res and also 1280x1024

#32 -MDB-

-MDB-

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I get the same error with a line "no valid video modes supported" when I try to start the game with the UI mod, works fine otherwise, I also have GOG version and Win XP 32bit..

I tried my native 1920x1080 res and also 1280x1024

Make sure you start a new game each time you change the resolution (including the first time). But in my case, I've done that each time and it doesn't affect the issue.

#33 -wikked-

-wikked-

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Found out the "work around" that works - setting the resolution just to 1024x768

#34 -MDB-

-MDB-

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Found out the "work around" that works - setting the resolution just to 1024x768

Yep, you're right. I re-ran the setup for 1024x768 and it hasn't crashed yet. It doesn't look nearly as nice, though.  :(

#35 mbrown3

mbrown3
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I've been keeping this page open in a tab on my desktop in the hopes that we'd get a solution, or some further information about the possibility of using this mod at higher than 1024x768 resolutions, but it seems to be a dead topic already. Is development on this mod continuing, or completely finished? 

#36 -Kevin-

-Kevin-

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:20 AM

Getting a similar error message.  An Assertion Failed in F:\Toment\Source\chitin\chvideo.cpp at line number 4322.  What gets me is that I dont have a F: drive on my computer.

#37 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

In case you are wondering, the .cpp file is a temporary file the game makes while it's ran.
So try the above helps and come out and say what you did for more help.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#38 -deedee-

-deedee-

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I had the same error (an Assertion failed...). During the mod instalation I set resolution to 1600x1050 and the game didn't work. Then I reinstall the mod and set resolution to 1600x900 and it helped :) I don't know what does it mean but maybe someone smarter will find this information useful.

#39 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

thanks for telling, i have a 20 inch samsung monitor which the max resolution is 1600x900, i wonder if there are other widescreen resolutions that arent supported. Btw, did the devs ever used a decompiler to see and possibly change the contents of the .exe file?

#40 -Hunahpu-

-Hunahpu-

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

I had the same problem. I encountered it when in dialogue with a stone face, tah wants you to get rid of dabus. Solution was to uninstall GhostDog UI, finish dialogue, save, then reinstall it.