Photo

Baldur's Gate as miniatures

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Fanart was one of the reasons I found my way to these forums, but I can't draw, (not well enough to be happy with the results anyway) so I first thought I couldn't really contribute myself. But then I realized I do have another way. In a bout of inspiration I decided to combine one of my hobbies with Baldur's Gate. The hobby is collecting and painting miniatures (and playing games with them) and my idea was that I'd paint miniatures to the resemble the characters from the games. Just so that no one get confused, the original miniatures are not sculpted by me, but the paintwork and any possible modifications are my work. Anyway here is what follows:

Viconia1.JPG

Viconia. She is the first one I finished and I'm quite pleased how she turned out, though the eyes are way too big. The original miniature is Sister Kendra from Reaper Miniatures.

I'll post more as I finish them. Sarevok is almost ready and Xan, Jaheira and Cernd are in the works as well and I have plans for the others as well.
"Sometimes crazy is the best way to go."

#2 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

You choose a miniature that does look a lot like Viconia ;-) I'm looking forward to see the next ones!

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#3 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

You choose a miniature that does look a lot like Viconia ;-) I'm looking forward to see the next ones!

I thought so too. The only thing that didn't look right with the original miniature was its hair as it had far too much of it. I removed some of it, which you can actually notice in the picture (the strange flat spot on Viccy's hair; I didn't notice it until after I had it painted).

Here is Sarevok:

sarevokparas.JPG

He complains that the armour isn't spiky enough, but the others disagree. I think it suits him just fine.

Edited by Gorzag, 17 June 2010 - 10:51 AM.

#4 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

Oh, nice miniatures! Sarevok really suits fine! Cool armor! :D

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#5 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

Spikes, check. Massive armor, check. Two-handed sword, check. Yellow eyes, check. Definitely Sarevok. Posted Image
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#6 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

I like. So will Dwayne, this is right up his alley. He's been doing the same exact thing as this all week.

What was the original for Sarevok supposed to be?

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#7 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone! The miniature used for Sarevok was also from Reaper, called Boris the Evil fighter.

This project's been on hold for a moment as I took a sudden week long vacation to Crete, and now that I'm back I've been a little ill. Also, I managed to lose Cernd's weapon arm. :doh: But I have begun working on Xan and he's coming up nicely.

#8 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:14 AM

Oooh, this is real cool. I can't wait to see more!

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#9 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

As promised here is Xan:

Xan1.JPG

Xan2.JPG

He acted very in character when I was taking the pictures of him, as it first seemed any picture I took was doomed to fail. But in the end my stubbornness won and I managed to take some that were just fine. I know he should really have a moonblade and not a staff, but I liked the way he holds the staff, so I let it be.

The original miniature was again from Reaper, called Piers, Young Mage.

#10 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

Mind if I link to this in the Xan fanart thread?

That is so clearly Xan. Posted Image Nice job :)
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice

#11 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

Mind if I link to this in the Xan fanart thread?

Not at all. Go ahead.

That is so clearly Xan. Posted Image Nice job :)

Thanks!

#12 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:27 AM

These are very lovely! And I liked Xan, naturally.

Good thinking! I never realized you could make one miniature from another. Sounds like fun.

#13 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

These are very lovely! And I liked Xan, naturally.

Good thinking! I never realized you could make one miniature from another. Sounds like fun.

Thanks! It's quite common in the hobby actually as lots of people like to personalize their miniatures. It is indeed fun and probably is my favourite part of the hobby. These have been quite simple so far, as Sarevok was just a paintjob for the original miniature and with Xan and Viconia I only modified their hair a little. But you can do much more like adding or switching parts from different miniatures, sculpting something new for it from modelling putty, changing the pose to be more dramatic etc. Amongst the hobbyists it's usually called converting.

#14 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

It's time for the next one. This time it is someone that even the most unsuccessful and lonely Charnames will recognize. Afterall, it is because of him that they are even alive.

Gorion 1.JPG

Gorion 3.JPG

I was of course speaking of Gorion. It seems I have suddenly become capable of painting faces, they were always my weakest point earlier. The miniature is once again from Reaper, called Drus the Darkblighter. I didn't do anything expect paint it, as I thought it was perfect for Gorion as it is.

Big thanks to Chevalier for suggesting the use of a darker background for the pictures. :Bow: They are much better this way.

#15 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

Your Gorion is absolutely perfect! His face has that "mentor" look that is a must for him, but the clothes and gear prevent him from becoming just an old bookworm. And the flowing cloak has a certain "journey" feeling to it.

I can definitely see Gorion standing up to Firkraag, for once.
Guess what? I've started a blog! Kitchen Witchcraft : of Magic and Macaroni.

#16 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

How the hell was I having a conversation with you without realizing you were you, Gorzag? I just now figured out who I was talking to. This is disconcerting...

Oh well.

Gorion is my favorite so far (though what little of the Xan images my computer is currently allowing my to view shows promise). And the dark background was particularly poignant here, bringing back memories of the night he died. Yes, that fictional night exists in my memory to the extent where it is able to be conjured up by visuals. Also disconcerting.

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#17 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Your Gorion is absolutely perfect! His face has that "mentor" look that is a must for him, but the clothes and gear prevent him from becoming just an old bookworm. And the flowing cloak has a certain "journey" feeling to it.

I can definitely see Gorion standing up to Firkraag, for once.

Thanks! I'm very pleased at how he turned. While certainly old, I never thought Gorion to be bookworm type. In my mind he was still a fit man and could certainly have handled the hardships of the adventurer's if not for Sarevok.

How the hell was I having a conversation with you without realizing you were you, Gorzag? I just now figured out who I was talking to. This is disconcerting...

I don't think I realized it either... Are you sure we were talking? Of course it might just be that we both suffered from a sudden strike of dementia.

Gorion is my favorite so far (though what little of the Xan images my computer is currently allowing my to view shows promise). And the dark background was particularly poignant here, bringing back memories of the night he died. Yes, that fictional night exists in my memory to the extent where it is able to be conjured up by visuals. Also disconcerting.

He's probably my favourite of them too. Heh, I know that feeling. There was one time I was discussing voice acting in games with my friend and he said that one of the best performances he has seen, if not the best was Merle Danridge's voice acting at the end of Half-Life 2 Episode Two, because of the emotion she put in Alyx's voice. I agreed that it was great, but said that I thought Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal had an even better one. The scene that came to my mind was one of Jaheira's lines just before you decide whether to ascend or not if you had romanced her. However, when I loaded a save at that point to show it to him, I noticed that the line wasn't voiced. :rolleyes: I was simply so immersed in the scene that I could hear Jaheira say those words(and still can).

Edited by Gorzag, 13 July 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#18 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

Ho there, wanderer!

Elminster.JPG

I noticed a spare Gandalf model on my shelf and as I was in the mood to paint, he became Elminster instead(yeah, I know, a waste of a good Gandalf miniature, but I already have four other miniatures for him). This was done rather quickly and the model is one of the Gandalf miniatures in Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings range.

#19 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

Perfect :) As it is, Elminster sometimes gets called "Gandalf the Red." Though, to be fair, he is basically a Gandalf clone. It's just that Gandalf is far, far cooler :D I mean, what's El done, aside from meddle? :P

Also, nice Gorion above. He looks wise enough to keep the PC and Imoen in line, but definitely competent enough to take out Sarry :)

#20 Gorzag

Gorzag
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Perfect :) As it is, Elminster sometimes gets called "Gandalf the Red." Though, to be fair, he is basically a Gandalf clone. It's just that Gandalf is far, far cooler :D I mean, what's El done, aside from meddle? :P

Not much. Well okay, he does pick up Jaheira's letter(if you romance her) that is flowing with the wind and gives it to you. Of course, it could be the letter was completely safe where it was and Elminster took it just because he felt like he wanted to make an appearance. And Gandalf meddles too, the difference just is that his meddling is actually useful.

Also, nice Gorion above. He looks wise enough to keep the PC and Imoen in line, but definitely competent enough to take out Sarry :)

Thanks! As I said before I am really pleased with him, he is one of my better works.