#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:13 AM

New DLC Announced by BioWare: Leliana's Song

• Release Date: July 6th
  • Price Tag: 560 Points = 7$
Description: Assume the role of Leliana, a young bard involved in a criminal ring that deals in political secrets. Accompanying her mentor Marjolaine on a high-risk mission, Leliana soon finds herself entangled in a game of intrigue that she cannot escape with just her beauty, charm, or stealth. The only way out of this game is to kill or be killed.

• Explore Leliana's dangerous past and why she joined the Chantry
  • Fully voiced cinematic experience brings the characters to life
  • Unlock a unique reward that transfers into your Awakening and Origins campaign
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

So now they are just filling up the plot holes here, there.

And soon we'll see how the Highevers Mabari war hound got to be in road... where it meat The Wardens while it's master got killed at the attack to the Highever.
Flemeth might have had another daughter.
Then perhaps we'll get to be a Pigeon and freeze the golem to the town of Honnleath...etc.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:02 AM

I think I might actually buy this. Question, though, regarding DLC in general. If you download DLC, uninstall the game, and then re-install it, will the DLC still be available? It might be a stupid question, but I am a technological simpleton.

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

I think I might actually buy this. Question, though, regarding DLC in general. If you download DLC, uninstall the game, and then re-install it, will the DLC still be available? It might be a stupid question, but I am a technological simpleton.

It will be available, yes. The game should automatically start re-downloading any content you have access to and haven't installed yet (log in first). You can buy and monitor DLC via the main menu option titled "Downloadable Content".

#5 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

It will be available, yes. The game should automatically start re-downloading any content you have access to and haven't installed yet (log in first). You can buy and monitor DLC via the main menu option titled "Downloadable Content".

Ah, wonderful. I haven't really wanted to download DLC so far, but it's glad to know it won't be a complete waste of money if I chose to do so. Thanks!

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

Ah, wonderful. I haven't really wanted to download DLC so far, but it's glad to know it won't be a complete waste of money if I chose to do so. Thanks!

No problem. :)

The DLC auto-download function should be around until BioWare/EA no longer runs the download servers, by which time people can just switch over to the manual installation method.

Personally I keep manual installation archives of the DLC I've bought or got through promotions (legal back-ups from EA's servers). This is a great way to avoid the hassle of having to download the DLC again if you need to re-install.

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

I'm disappointed. To me the main strength of Dragon's Age(and Baldur's Gate series) is choosing your own character. Hair, race, gender, origin, everything. Now they're destroying it all by forcing the protagonist on us. And not only that, but Leliana's already been a character for us, a companion. Now we're to play her? It's just like playing Nalia! Not to mention that I don't care for Leliana much.

Sigh. Not to mention that, for example, if you ask a regular guy here in Russia whether he'd like to play as a gay male bard, the answering expression will most likely be of pure disgust. Yet if you explain them about Leliana and Marjolaine, the answer will most likely be: "A hot chick lesbian bard? And she's got a girlfriend?! Give me two!"
So. Are the developers catering to male audience, I wonder? I mean, they're not developing a Zevran-Taliesen lovey-dovey adventure, are they?

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

This is not true! You are permitted three licenses to use the game on three different computers. I installed the game on my laptop, on fiance's desktop, and on my desktop. At the time, I was the primary user of all three computers. I purchased DLC on the laptop and installed it on the laptop and installed it on fiance's desktop. I did not attempt to install it on my desktop. I had to reinstall DA on my laptop, but when I tried to reinstall the DLC, I was unable to do so. It says that my DLC is an unauthorized copy. I attempted to purchase new DLC, but was unable to do so because the DLC is already detected on the laptop.

Experience has told me that I will be unable to resolve this with EA. They're worse than useless.

So reinstall if you must, but be prepared for DLC weirdness.

Edit: Back to the original point. If they were going to force us to play the game as one of the companions, I would much rather do so as anyone other than Leliana. She bored me to tears as a companion, so why would I want to play the game as her? I would rather play through the game as Dog, and that's no joke.

Edited by berelinde, 17 June 2010 - 07:56 AM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

So. Are the developers catering to male audience, I wonder?

Developers have a tendency to do that, and that includes BioWare, although their PR department might state otherwise. I think it's just a business decision, as most of their customers are male, and catering to that audience will result in better sales figures and move favorable ratings from various game mags and sites.

Personally I think this type of standalone "play as someone else than CHARNAME" DLC isn't very interesting, so I think I'll skip this one as I did Darkspawn Chronicles. I just don't see why I should want to play these when the best part about playing DA is having your own, customized protagonist.

Experience has told me that I will be unable to resolve this with EA. They're worse than useless.

So reinstall if you must, but be prepared for DLC weirdness.

That's odd, although I guess I couldn't have experienced that due to the fact that I only have one computer at the moment. I've re-installed DA, and I've got the DLC working via both the auto-downloader and the manual installation method.

#10 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

I liked Leliana, personally, but I don't think I'll be picking up this piece of DLC, unless it gets stellar reviews. It just seems... superfluous.

#11 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hm, re-run the past that we got blabbered onto before during the one of many optional generic animation talk-fests, as the bard herself this time?
Just like the whole obvious targeting a male audience, the otherwise uninterested audiences, and also the impracticality of some outfits so common in RPG genre in these years. I have to say I'm a bit confused as to whether simply laugh at the thought, or be disgusted by their apparent lack of confidence in the average consumer's ability to piece two and two together.

Nevermind, laughing is fun.

All said, certainly wouldn't mind having a minimum of two good thoughts about another DLC, excluding the merits of cheap market spam tactics. Needless to say, we can expect plenty of hand-holding! Unless they do the intelligent thing and mix it up for a change. :)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#12 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

Sigh. Not to mention that, for example, if you ask a regular guy here in Russia whether he'd like to play as a gay male bard, the answering expression will most likely be of pure disgust. Yet if you explain them about Leliana and Marjolaine, the answer will most likely be: "A hot chick lesbian bard? And she's got a girlfriend?! Give me two!"
So. Are the developers catering to male audience, I wonder? I mean, they're not developing a Zevran-Taliesen lovey-dovey adventure, are they?

The young, male, most likely white, het. gamer is now the EA/BioWare catch of choice. (Mr Priestly has come very close to admitting this on occasion). It's the same as nearly every other developer out there. Risktaker is definitely not the catch phrase appropriate for current game designers. Draconian maybe.
Anyway the hot lesbian chick is practically a BioWare staple.
I liked their first(I think) attempt with Juhani from Kotor the most.
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:29 AM

Hm, re-run the past that we got blabbered onto before during the one of many optional generic animation talk-fests, as the bard herself this time?
Just like the whole obvious targeting a male audience, the otherwise uninterested audiences, and also the impracticality of some outfits so common in RPG genre in these years. I have to say I'm a bit confused as to whether simply laugh at the thought, or be disgusted by their apparent lack of confidence in the average consumer's ability to piece two and two together.

Call me arrogant, but I don't think the average consumer can put two and two together most of the time. I don't think they even think about these things.

#14 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

*sigh* No this doesn't interest me either.

#15 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

Personally I can't even begin to comprehend why BioWare would have such a high interest in standalone DLC modules. More content like Shale and Warden's Keep would actually add value to replays.

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

I imagine they're simply trying some new tacks. :)

#17 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

In Russian publishing industry, "trying something new" usually equals "headed to disaster". I hope Bioware will understand that things like Warden's Keep sell better than Darkspawn Chronicles, and good new games mean much more than accessory books, table games, comics and anime series. Before it is too late.

#18 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

I guess we'll see how successful it is financially by how many similar modules they make. :) The game development industry is rather different from publishing--it's hard to know what will succeed and what won't. People both love gaming innovation and absolutely despise it. I think this is because relatively speaking the gaming industry is far younger, and so has more ground to cover than publishing, which has been going on for a good several hundred years.

#19 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

Personally I can't even begin to comprehend why BioWare would have such a high interest in standalone DLC modules. More content like Shale and Warden's Keep would actually add value to replays.

I agree 100 percent...I would much rather play a Wardens Keep / Return to Ostagar Scenario then standalone modules...Adding DLC to the main game is alot more fun to play IMO (And no just because you complete the stand alone modules and get some random weapon or item IMO does not add to the main game as you can easily download items and weapons from people who have made them that are just as good if not better!)

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:57 AM

I agree 100 percent...I would much rather play a Wardens Keep / Return to Ostagar Scenario then standalone modules...Adding DLC to the main game is alot more fun to play IMO (And no just because you complete the stand alone modules and get some random weapon or item IMO does not add to the main game as you can easily download items and weapons from people who have made them that are just as good if not better!)

I'd think that the weapons and extra items you get from the standalone modules are aimed at the console players, as they can't use unofficial mods, and thus they can't be that picky with new content.