Leliana's Song DLC

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Heh this is true...I have a PS3 myself but I would never in a million years buy Dragon Age for it when I have a PC that can easily run it! I tend to forget the console users of this game since the PC is vastly superior to it in terms of gameplay in every possible way!

Edited by Vicen, 21 June 2010 - 01:33 PM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#22 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

#23 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

(At least) It looks pretty. I like the map thing. I guess that's what I really want, instead of playing Leliana: a pretty long in-game video story about Leliana, her lover, and this "epic story of fate, war and betrayal".

By the way, it's weird that they order anime, but don't even try creating videos based on the game engine. After all, it's quite powerful, no?

#24 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

(At least) It looks pretty. I like the map thing. I guess that's what I really want, instead of playing Leliana: a pretty long in-game video story about Leliana, her lover, and this "epic story of fate, war and betrayal".

By the way, it's weird that they order anime, but don't even try creating videos based on the game engine. After all, it's quite powerful, no?

Yeah, the original launch trailers were pretty good. Fans have have made some machinima videos though, as I posted in the news section earlier this month.

#25 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

Man I'm glad they changed her hairstyle in the original game...Not digging it at all in this DLC! Though I do have a mod myself now installed that changes it for the DA:O now heh...

And just a side note...I cant stand the voice actor that does Marjolaine(SP I know!) the only voice I could ever tolerate from her was of Aerie...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#26 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

Man I'm glad they changed her hairstyle in the original game...Not digging it at all in this DLC! Though I do have a mod myself now installed that changes it for the DA:O now heh...

And just a side note...I cant stand the voice actor that does Marjolaine(SP I know!) the only voice I could ever tolerate from her was of Aerie...

Marjolaine's VA is Kath Soucie (Aerie, as you pointed out). I don't really have an opinion on her work myself, but I didn't really like Grey DeLisle (Viconia) as Velanna in Awakening though.

Chasing the Bard + Trailer @ Grey Wardens

#27 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

BioWare has updated their site with the details for Leliana's Song, such as audio samples and character biographies.

Some earlier DLC packs now have their own extended pages as well: Return to Ostagar, Feastday Gifts & Pranks, Darkspawn Chronicles.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 01 July 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#28 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

Thank you for the news! Maybe it won't be an entirely bad download, after all. (The last link, Darkspawn Chronicles, links to RtO, though).

#29 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

Thank you for the news! Maybe it won't be an entirely bad download, after all. (The last link, Darkspawn Chronicles, links to RtO, though).

Fixed.

#30 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Fitting the occasion, Grey Wardens have a new article titled "The Gilded Mirror: A New Portrait of Orlais" up for those interested.

BioBlog has an interview with Corinne Kempa, Leliana's VA. She's also producing a charity film, and if you buy a virtual ticket to help raise funds for it, you can participate in a competition to win a copy of DA: Origins signed by both her and Claudia Black (Morrigan).

Edit: And as previously pointed out, the DLC pack will be available for purchase world wide next Tuesday (July 6th).

Edited by Archmage Silver, 02 July 2010 - 07:42 PM.

#31 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:24 AM

Fitting the occasion, Grey Wardens have a new article titled "The Gilded Mirror: A New Portrait of Orlais" up for those interested.

Hmm....

' In Orlais Japan, politics is such a huge part of aristocratic life that it is dubbed simply ?the Game,? an endless dance of feints and forfeits, with an ever-growing cast of characters.'

I thought Orlais was prototyped on France?

-Y-

#32 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

I would suggest watching Ridicule - it's about intrigue and game playing in pre-Revolution Versailles. I believe life in Orlais is based on something similar.

Edited by Cal Jones, 03 July 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#33 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:46 AM

I'm disappointed. To me the main strength of Dragon's Age(and Baldur's Gate series) is choosing your own character. Hair, race, gender, origin, everything. Now they're destroying it all by forcing the protagonist on us. And not only that, but Leliana's already been a character for us, a companion. Now we're to play her? It's just like playing Nalia! Not to mention that I don't care for Leliana much.

Edit: Back to the original point. If they were going to force us to play the game as one of the companions, I would much rather do so as anyone other than Leliana. She bored me to tears as a companion, so why would I want to play the game as her? I would rather play through the game as Dog, and that's no joke.

Agree with you, ladies. I know it's a bit childish of me - but after playing Baldur's Gate way too many times a certain disliking towards all holier-than-thou redheads grew on me. I didn't see any reason why a snobbish noble should be commanding me to give all my money away and then, I hate shopping for clothes - talking about clothing makes me annoyed, and should anyone bother me with wearing way-too-frilly shoes with ribbons and slimheels, I would throw them on their heads. As a not overly religious persona, all that "Maker here and Maker there, Maker Maker everywhere" annoyed me to no end. No way of ever buying that module. Will spend my hard-earned money in a better way. And will rather play Darkspawn Chronicles again. Liked the ending. Made me chant "Hahaha! You suck without me!"

So, sorry Leliana. I never cared about you so much for playing a game dedicated to you. :devil:

And seriously, BioWare - have you nothing else to do but bother me?! than release just stand-alone modules? What about giving us a brand new game, hm?? :Bow:
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#34 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:48 AM

Leliana's Song should be released later today, so feel free to write up a short review if you're getting it, because I'm going to skip this one.

#35 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

It's odd. I do want to play this DLC, but I just can't motivate myself to pay for it! I guess I might do it next time I'm going through a run. I'll be sure to pop back here with my opinions when/if I do.

#36 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

Well a review was called, so let'see...

Summary:
  • Forgiving difficulty scale (good for beginners or tactic slackers) - but still capable of laying down the smack.
  • Good voice-acting and pleasant BGM.
  • Average Plot
  • Average Character Development
  • Less clunky than the main counterpart.
  • Poor (Main) Antagonist
  • Ever see the trailers? Behold the glory of our character names! :cheers:
  • Hack & Slash (Out of place for a rogue character to partake in)
  • Linear design.
  • Linear strategy (No second options).
Recommended?: If all of the above don't bother you, sure, one or two hours. Although I DO question why this one is for profit... Call me old fashioned, but this certainly isn't their best attempt at module work. Certainly not premium module material.

Let's start with the good parts first.
The voice acting and general background audio are the first noticeable things, which even if you hate some particular parts for one reason or another, don't exactly cause hearing glare and make things unbearable. It's nice, in sync for the most part, and for a change rarely, if ever, gets in your way.

Another good fact is the game moves more quickly than the core game. It won't take five minutes to get from plot point A to plot point B because of NPC Z. This fluidity distracts from the flaws of the engine, but sadly not enough, for which a later point shall explain.

The difficulty scale is a little less positive, it's merciful especially considering that anyone playing a rogue character will possibly be spamming daze effect attacks along with dual-wielding, essentially bringing combat down to just a tiny amount of micro-management which should appeal to players who don't like to do a lot, or are new to it all. This said, it is still quite possible for some plate wearing thugs to dish out massive ownage if someone gets too big for their boots. ;)

The Neutral:
As with anything, there are also things that are neither good quality, nor excessively bad, and as one might expect the plotline does at least fall into this category instead. We sadly don't get to see much intrigue in the works, only the end result - as was to be expected with the way Dragon Age is built. It is typical in its nature, with an obvious backstab (or in this case front... wouldn't it be easier from the back? :blink:) twist and a mystery follow-up which I shall not spoil for anyone who hasn't yet seen.

Suffice it to say, it essentially falls under the line of "minor backstory for a minor person" in the grand scheme of things, it was perhaps intended to be larger an impact but I honestly think the murder mayhem the player is forced into would cause more of an uproar than some political conspiracy between nations.

Another thing people will notice that is different about this DLC, is the return of the quick flashes (Burn notice anyone?) during dramatic cutscenes, and also excessive murder, blood, blood, blood effects that anyone who is familar with the trailers would easily recognise. To me, these are unnecessary drama effects that really serve no true purpose save to eat up a few seconds between you and aging, pretty corny, but hey what can you do. :)

Equally important as the plot, the characters themselves come off as well as one would expect from something this short in gameplay, but not as bad as they could've. The obvious antagonist (if you haven't seen Lelianna talk about her past) is fairly one dimensional, almost a Loghain clone without anything awesome to their own name. The developers were obviously more focused on Lelianna's company, which feature a bit more detail, not much though and we don't exactly get to know them in any true depth to say whether they're medieval rockstars, or Noober's pet hamster.

Lelianna herself of course has the most detail, and the difference between her then, and present day Dragon Age Origins is quite clear to see, and is actually a note I would say is quite positive to her evolution. Her reactions are perhaps only marred by the visual aspect of the generic animations that sometimes make no sense, but inconsequential overall.
If the other characters beyond the most central figures had this kind of depth to them, or even better by preference (this is a forgiving level y'know), then the length of the game and the obligatory status of their role wouldn't be as much of a eyesore. Something for future DLC project writers to demand time for perhaps - I mean it *is* DLC after all, what's the blighted rush?

The Bad:
This, unfortunately however, is where the where it falls apart again, as much like ME2's Overlord DLC.
Considering what class Lelianna is, and what the background to her story is, one can't exactly be faulted for expecting something ELSE when looking at this, a Diablo hack & slash is what we're pretty much vaulted into and whilst this simplistic method appeases many, it leaves much to be desired - especially from the standing point of a rogue character.

There are no disguises, no second options, no impossible to slaughter-fest sections, so much you'd expect from a "thieves" based module modelled instead onto something that perhaps even Conan would think twice about. And honestly, there's no logic as to "why" this is so, beyond the typical railroad plotline effect, it wouldn't be so bad were it actually understandable to one's profession, design like this just hurts I'm afraid. -_-

Overall:
It's not exactly what I'd call an "in-depth module" more of a action hero thing with an obligatory conspiracy at work. No detective work either. If these appeal, by all means, if you want something of greater substance than what the summary elements can provide, hold onto your money. It *could've* be better had the writers and level designers been given more time to expand. That's all I'll say.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#37 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

The Bad:...

Yeah, but I think that even worse is the fact the this couldn't be a pre-sequel to the Origins story... after all Leliana is already a 10th level Bard :lol: and becomes 14-15th. :doh: ... while she was 7th level in the Origins. <_<

Would the RP elements you describe had put to the DLC, it could have somewhat easily put into the real pre-sequel category, with Leliana starting from level 1.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#38 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hmm. Thanks for the feedback, SH. I think I might give this one a miss, after all. I only wanted it for the insight into Leliana's past, and from the sounds of it, it isn't too special (surprise, surprise). Someone will post a video of it on youtube eventually. That'll do for me. :)

Edit - Already there, what do ya know.

Edited by Crazee, 07 July 2010 - 02:42 AM.

#39 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:57 AM

Yeah, they sure work fast don't they. :)

If you ask me, they had a worthwhile idea on paper, but somewhere along the line they either rushed it, or lost any love there might have been for it. Truly boggling really because these are nothing more than add-ons, there is no need to rush practically screams at us through the end result.

We couldn't expect much from the size, but we could expect more from the care they could've shown in making its gameplay something that doesn't just glare at you like some spoiled child.

Again, it's enjoyable, as long as one ignores A, B, C, and F kind of thing. Oh and the game's combat engine's chunkiness of course, because there will be plenty of it being shown, believe me.

The Bad:...

Yeah, but I think that even worse is the fact the this couldn't be a pre-sequel to the Origins story... after all Leliana is already a 10th level Bard :lol: and becomes 14-15th. :doh: ... while she was 7th level in the Origins. <_<

Yeah, that tends to stick out like a sore thumb alright. That said, given the choice, anything along the line of Diablo hack & slash in DA:O would cause no end to frustration for the player if they were only level one, which is probably why this 'oversight' keeps occurring.

Besides, it could be she's just gotten sloppy in the time between then and Origins... too much Maker meed? :whistling:
Or then again maybe she just spent some time in the Elder Scrolls universe, damn their legal system! I want my points back!

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#40 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for the review. In the same vein, IGN has rated Leliana's Song 7/10.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 09 July 2010 - 04:35 AM.