Playing BGT after a system format without reinstalling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Habardeen

Habardeen
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:23 AM

Hi!

I recently formatted my system with a new version of windows and I wanted to know if it's possible to enjoy Bladur's Gate Trilogy (plus other mods) without going through the whole installation again.
Obviously the .exe doesnt recognize the game as installed anymore so the launcher wants me to install it over.
The problem would be that I don't exactly remember what mods i installed other than BGT and few otehrs and my savegames might dont work or be corrupted.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks alot for the help!

Edited by Habardeen, 20 June 2010 - 03:26 AM.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

Hi!

I recently formatted my system with a new version of windows and I wanted to know if it's possible to enjoy Bladur's Gate Trilogy (plus other mods) without going through the whole installation again.
Obviously the .exe doesnt recognize the game as installed anymore so the launcher wants me to install it over.
The problem would be that I don't exactly remember what mods i installed other than BGT and few otehrs and my savegames might dont work or be corrupted.

Well, I am here to save your day, see the .exe you try to start the game with is the wrong oneTM, as you use the baldur.exe, not the BGMain.exe... that actually starts the game, try it.
And to see what mods you have installed, it's as easy as opening a file called WeiDU.log with the Notepad.
Both are still inside your game folder... if you didn't formate the hard-drive.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 20 June 2010 - 03:54 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:54 AM

Hi!

I think you could re-install it in a different folder, and then copy the old one onto the new. If it works, it's done, otherwise, you uninstall the new one and re-install it, and I've heard there is a way to read a Weidu.log and re-install all mods exactly in that order, without having to install them one by one. Maybe, you could find that in the mega-mod help

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:56 AM

I ninja-ed you with a better option. :)

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 20 June 2010 - 03:57 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 Habardeen

Habardeen
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:17 AM

thanks guys!
you rock :new_thumbs:

Edited by Habardeen, 21 June 2010 - 06:18 AM.