BGT Tactical Game

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

I have a BWS/BGT Tactical game in the works right now, I had to put it off for a week or so. I am wondering just how difficult a Tactical install is. I've heard that it's "stupid hard", but can anyone tell me more?

This being the case, can anyone recommend a character that's powerful enough starting in BG1 for a complete run through the sequel and TOB also? I was thinking of using a shapeshifter, but the fact that you cannot talk when shapeshifted is puzzling me. For example, if I was shifted into a werewolf and was busy slaying monsters when suddenly someone tries to talk to me, would I have to switch back to human before talking and then have to rest? By rest, I mean rest to recharge my shifting ability. Overall, how awkward to use is the shapeshifter?

I prefer melee characters and other finesse melee builds, but if anything else stands out I'm interested in hearing about it. Thank you.
I can do this!

#2 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

Berserkers are fun, as they're good fighters to begin with, and are incredible when using Enrage--I'm partial to half-orcs with maxed out strength and dexterity.

Shapeshifted PCs being able to talk? Depends. I played through BG tutu as a shapeshifter using the Rebalancing tweak in G3's BG2 Tweaks. So I could talk to everyone while shapeshifted, but my PC was immune to everything in BG1, and unable to hit anything in BG2. Not so much fun. The vanilla shapeshifter is just plain annoying, too powerful at low levels and practically useless in ToB due to the enchantment level of its claws.

I would recommend an elven Archer with high strength and dexterity. Often they can take out enemies before they ever become a problem. Add Minsc or Kagain as a tank and you don't really have to worry about the PC. The problem is in ToB, though, where a lot of enemies are immune or resistant to missile damage. There are a lot of good longbows and crossbows in the game though. But overall this is better for a support character.

Swashbucklers are fun too. They can hide in shadows to scout, even if they can't backstab. They're decent in melee and are great flank attackers IMO, especially if you're using Rogue Rebalancing. They're also interesting to dual-class--my Swash/Mage was particularly fun.

Overall my favorite melee character is the Kensai. It's a lot of fun to dual-wield a hammer and longsword--BG1's Ashideena and Varscona, or BG2's Crom Faeyr and Equalizer. Equip a couple protection items, cast a couple buff spells to be safe, and they are incredibly powerful. Elven kensai are fun--high strength and 19 dexterity are very helpful indeed.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#3 omniscientist

omniscientist
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

I'm currently at Chapter 6 in BG2 in a BWS Tactics install. I have been playing on Insane from the get-go, and have kept it at that level throughout; cheat mode is disabled (although it has been turned on briefly for when I have to deal with bugs).

Anyways, it's very hard, but no matter how ridiculous a battle is, I've been able to figure out a straight and legitimate way to beat it using a party consisting of 4-6 people, and it's been a lot of fun. Although I spend a lot of time preparing my party, I didn't have to focus a ton of energy into a crazy-uber build. Definitely plays the way I feel it should have always played! I'm not sure if you intend on soloing...I haven't attempted that yet.

There are some really hard parts...and the thing I've had to do a few times was simply put whatever fight on hold and come back later. One example is Firkraag, he's crazy (I think the tactics install has a Super-Firkraag mod included, so he's quite obscene)! Got owned by him, had to come back way later.

#4 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

No, I don't plan on playing solo. Just need to settle on a solid player character. Thanks for the replies!
I can do this!

#5 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

@ Ipsissimus, how come your shapeshifter couldn't hit anything in BG2? Just from the werewolf's paws being too low in rating?

I tried one in BG since I'm playing BGT via BWS and I couldn't talk to anyone in Candlekeep once I was shifted, but the watcher that speaks to you about skipping out of candlekeep could initiate dialog with me anyway. Kind of weird.

I might just go with a kensai since the archer sounds seriously overpowered for BG1 and relatively useless for BG2. I'm thinking Half-Orc Kensai for some reason.
I can do this!

#6 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

Werewolf paws are +2 if memory serves. A lot of creatures require far higher enchantment to hit.

And yeah, half-orc kensai can be fun too, with maxed-out strength and constitution.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice

#7 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Does being a half-orc hobble you character wise though? Like people's reaction to you, romance etc. It's really been that long that I don't remember. I'm not against being an elven kensai, just thought I'd give half-orc a try.
I can do this!

#8 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

Half-orcs can romance Viconia and Gavin for sure, possibly others. Definitely not Aerie, Jaheira, or Anomen. Don't know about other characters. No bad reactions from non-joinables though.

#9 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

Just out of curiosity, do the romanceable characters tell you they won't romance you because you're a half-orc, or does it just never become a possibility? I think I'm going to go with elf since I wanted to roll with Jaheira this time, I do somewhat remember that when I finished the game in 2000 I romanced Aerie, but that's pretty much all I remember.
I can do this!

#10 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

It's just not a possibility. IMHO having them say that they don't like the PC based on race would be a tad immersion-breaking anyway.

For future reference: Jaheira romances half-elves, humans, and elves; Aerie half-elves, humans, elves, and gnomes; and Viconia half-elves, humans, and half-orcs.

#11 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

I'm running out of questions, which is good. But I have a couple more. Do you need to be evil to romance Viconia? I just rolled up a lawful good half-orc barbarian. I'm actually pretty satisfied with it, but since BWS Tactical is so hard I am unsure whether I want to dual wield for more damage and less protection or use a hammer and a shield for more protection and less damage output. Last question, since I have the "chores" mod that gives you special abilities when you finish it, should I take alchemy or tracking? And offensive spin or defensive spin? Thanks again for your help!
I can do this!

#12 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

I'm running out of questions, which is good. But I have a couple more. Do you need to be evil to romance Viconia?

I am unsure whether I want to dual wield for more damage and less protection or use a hammer and a shield for more protection and less damage output.

In the early game, every bit of armor class helps. Once your characters get more HPs, you're better off having a well-protected character or two (an AC-based Cleric tank and a spell-based Wizard tank) and developing the rest of the team more offensively.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#13 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

Okay. I think I will re-roll for dual wield and offensive spin. My barbarian has over 100 hp now, which I *think* is enough to play with at the beginning. Hope I'm right.
I can do this!

#14 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Tracking=useless.

For a dual-wielding kensai, Offensive Spin, as it improves their abilities as a flank attacker. Use Minsc, Keldorn, Korgan, or someone else as a tank.

100 hp should be plenty. Plus if you have a cleric, they can cast Champion's Strength.

IIRC, you don't have to be evil to romance Vicky.

#15 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

Woah, alchemy. I just magically created a potion of major healing. Can alchemy fail, and are there stats that boost it? My half-orc barbarian has 19, 18, 19 for str dex con, but int through cha is all 10. Should I have lowered cha and int even more to boost wis or maybe some other re-distribution? Pretty sure str dex and con are maxed.
I can do this!

#16 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

Str dex and con are maxed out there, yes. I don't recall if alchemy can fail, sorry. Logically it should either fail randomly or do an intelligence check.

#17 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

Cool. Well, 10 int will have to do. Adventure commences tomorrow after work! Thank you.
I can do this!

#18 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

Okay, this is really bugging me. Is there any remotely possible way to rest in Chateau Irenicus with the Tactics mod installed without endless waves of Duergar spawning in? The gold from their cold, dead, gray little bodies is nice. But I realize that if I keep trying to rest, which I absolutely need to do since my characters are all quite hurt, they are going to die in that dungeon one by one and I'm going to be mightily discouraged. So if there is no way possible to either rest/recouperate or otherwise overcome the fights without resting, the next step for me is to uninstall the game and ditch the tactics mod completely. Thanks.
I can do this!

#19 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Well, you could just cheat...though that basically defeats the purpose of a tactics install.

Try a room with a closed door? I'm afraid I haven't played Tactics, but logically, at least, the monsters shouldn't be able to appear inside a closed room.

#20 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

I just tried sealing myself in a room and they can spawn inside it. That's so cheap. I would just use Dungeon-Be-Gone, but since DBG was made for vanilla BG2, the automatic xp rewards would be far short of what I could earn by slugging my way through it. Not to mention that DBG wouldn't give me any items added by other mods in the dungeon, just from vanilla. This kinda sucks. Not sure how to proceed.
I can do this!