1153 replies to this topic

#1001 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:40 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.1-20200425

Changelog:

• Added option to colorize resource structures and their associated offset and count fields (replaces former "Colorized offset fields" option). Can be turned on/off in menu Options > Show colored structures in Edit tabs.
  • Advanced Search:
    • Added feature to add selected resource fields as filter definitions (Right-click on resource field in Edit tab of resource and select "Add to Advanced Search")
    • Fixed missing import of "Match case" options for field and value definitions
    • Fixed a bug in search of grouped filter definitions
  • Area Viewer:
    • Overlay transparency from ARE field is considered when rendering overlays
    • Fixed overlay rendering issues in EET and possibly other games
    • Fixed erroneous detection of extended night maps in PSTEE
  • BAM Converter:
    • Fixed transparency issues with external palettes
    • Added support for PNG palette in "Replace colors" filter
    • Improved support of Microsoft PAL palettes
  • Experimental: Changed detection of transparent palette indices in BAM resources (palette index 0 and any palette indices matching RGB(0,255,0) are considered as transparent). Because of technical reasons BAM frame export and BAM Converter preview box will only support one transparent palette index though.
  • Search for resource references: Improved results for textual resource types (BCS, 2DA, ...). Results list shows matching line and line number, added support for multiple matches per resource, and cursor jumps to matching line when resource is opened.
  • Updated ARE Animation appearance and flags descriptions
  • Updated fields in GAM and GAM > NPC structures
  • Added ITM Ability flags bit 9 description
  • Further improved search names for areas in resource tree (uses names from worldmap if available)
  • Fixed bug when assigning resource references containing lower-case extensions in resource fields
  • More robust decoding of compresed BAMs containing corrupted data
  • Fix inaccessible GAM > NPC structures in PST
  • Various minor bugfixes and optimizations

#1002 -Arthas-

-Arthas-

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:02 AM

Hello Argent77, thanks for the new release.

Would it be possible to actually add a "noob-friendly" option as soon as you load Nearinfinity for the people that would like to use Nerainfinity instead of Eekeeper? Something that would make these steps redundant:

https://www.gibberli...#comment-279122

Edited by Arthas, 25 April 2020 - 12:54 PM.

#1003 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:52 PM

I don't think NI can be really made "noob-friendly". NI is first and foremost a general-purpose resource editor for Infinity Engine games. The user interface is part of the core design and allows only changes with certain limits.

You're probably better off using a dedicated savegame editor such as EE Keeper if you're not interested in learning the raw internals of savegame data.

Btw, EE Keeper is open source, so it is possible to fix bugs or extend functionality without having to rely on the current (or former) maintainer. (Links: SourceForge and GitHub)

#1004 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:10 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.1-20200502

Changelog:

• Added PRO search names to resource selection tree (based on MISSILE.IDS content)
  • Added INI search names to resource selection tree (using ARE search names or symbolic ANIMATE.IDS names, depending on type)
  • Improvements to table view (Edit tab) of structured resources:
    • Added new 'Size' column and option to display size in decimal or hexadecimal notation (can be controlled in menu Options > Show table columns)
    • Added option to show relative offsets of fields in substructures (can be turned on/off in menu Options > Show table columns)
  • Improved readability of CRE Status flags
  • Flag fields: Description text of unknown flags are drawn in lighter colors to emphasize known flags
  • Fixed jumping to correct DLG state/trigger entries from a reference search
  • Fixed StringRef Lookup not passing the correct strref value to the string editor when clicking the "Edit" button
  • Fixed WMP worldmap loading error if referenced resources are missing
  • Updated external libraries used for displaying textual content
  • Various minor fixes and optimizations

#1005 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:34 AM

Added PRO search names to resource selection tree (based on MISSILE.IDS content)

So does this mean that we can identify which spells use a particular .pro -file ?

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#1006 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:41 AM

Added PRO search names to resource selection tree (based on MISSILE.IDS content)

So does this mean that we can identify which spells use a particular .pro -file ?

That can be done with the "Find references" feature. Search names can be helpful to get a general idea about the functionality of a projectile. For example TSKULLNP.PRO is labeled as "Skull Trap (Not Party) for Jan" - which is not apparent if you only saw the resource name "TSKULLNP.PRO" in the resource tree.

#1007 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:36 AM

Hi Argent77,

Why opcode #188 is named "Increase spells cast per round" if the  IESDP has "Spell Effect: Aura Cleansing" and the param2 description is "Cleanse aura?" Yes/No which is indication that the effect is 'aura related'? I find this very confusing.

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#1008 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:53 PM

Maybe it's legacy from the ToB HLA Improved Alacrity.

#1009 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:29 AM

Hi Argent77,

Why opcode #188 is named "Increase spells cast per round" if the  IESDP has "Spell Effect: Aura Cleansing" and the param2 description is "Cleanse aura?" Yes/No which is indication that the effect is 'aura related'? I find this very confusing.

As I already told you in the G3 thread, it's merely a different name for one and the same effect. "Aura Cleansing" seems to be the technical term used by the devs, and since DLTCEP (and IESDP) tends to describe engine functions more technically, they used this term in favor of something else.

NI was developed by different people who did their own research on opcodes and came up with names that more closely described the observed effect of opcodes. Btw, most opcode names were defined back when most engine aspects still had to be discovered via reverse engineering or simply by test and observation. Only recently when Beamdog took over information were easier to come by.

I don't think changing all the opcode names to match the DLTCEP terms would be a good idea (unless opcode descriptions are clearly misleading), since they are that way for almost two decades by now. It would probably cause more confusion than anything.

Edited by Argent77, 23 May 2020 - 12:30 AM.

#1010 Robin Hood

Robin Hood
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:33 AM

In NI, is it possible to get rid of the search names for "Area north" (etc.) in View mode? I've tried setting ResRefs to filename only, and getting rid of them in the tree, but they still show up next to "Area north". This causes the columns to all widen proportionally, pushing the right-most column (Containers and Points of Interest) partly or entirely off the screen, meaning I have to scroll to see them. (See attached)

Spoiler

Edited by Argent77, 25 May 2020 - 12:24 PM.

#1011 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:44 AM

Removing the search name for selected screens is not so trivial. However, I can probably make the static layout of the area view tab more dynamic. I'll see what I can do to improve the situation.

#1012 Robin Hood

Robin Hood
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:24 AM

Thanks, much appreciated!

And sorry everyone for the gigantic image. I didn't realize it would do that with a file attachment. I'll leave it to mods to figure out whether it should stay or if it can be removed now.

#1013 Gamemacik

Gamemacik
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:11 AM

Hello, there is is weird BUG with export/import session for BAM files.

Steps i performed:
1. "Exported session...", when Export BAM Session window appear uncheck "Frame Source Files", leave "Frame center coordinates" and "Cycle Definitions" checked ("Filter Configurations" is unchecked greyed out)
2. Now import source files from folder (my folder contains png files eg. "GLDR#0_0002_s.png" ... "GLDR#0_0028_s.png") to new BAM file and "Import Session" which was exported before, it should assign correct values to coordinates and cycles
3. BUG is: coordinates are assigned but into cycles are loaded values from coordinated in my case each cycle contains values x,y  91,122, and number of cycles is also wrong ... :doh:
This is how Session ini file looks like:

Spoiler

B6DM4Im.pngFP2QUPQ.png

tested with NI v2.1-20200502

Note: i checked older versions of NearInfinity import Session worked properly with Version 2.1-20180615 (but there was a bug with Palette import, Palette and Session Import worked well with Version 2.1-20180531), the Session bug Import appeared since version Version 2.1-20200401

Edited by Gamemacik, 16 June 2020 - 01:51 AM.

For modders:
Animation resources: NWN RED DRAGONTRWNDbl.pngDRAGONWHELP PACK+DRAGONBREATHTRWNDbl.png
For loosers: SPOILER ALERT! RCEuOoU.pngQeZVcUw.png

#1014 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:53 AM

Good catch! It's just a mixed up variable name and can be easily fixed.

#1015 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.1-20200620

Changelog:

• Fixed structure order in empty SPL or ITM resources when adding new abilities or effects
  • Added option to align content in 2DA tables
  • Long strings in View tabs are cut off to prevent out-of-bounds UI elements
  • Improved ARE View tab layout to prevent out-of-bounds scrolling
  • Updating CRE effect version (offset 33h) converts effect structures on the fly between EFF V1 and EFF V2 format
  • String Editor: Fixed saving changes of read-only dialog.tlk (e.g. in DLC archive) to another location
  • Advanced Search > Filter > Structure level: Made root element unremovable
  • BAM Converter: Fixed incorrect cycle data imported from a session file
  • BAM Converter: Fixed display issues in palette dialogs on Linux systems
  • List of available primary types (spell schools) in opcodes 202, 204, 220, 223, 227, 229 are created dynamically from mschool.2da
  • Implemented TobEx feature "Effect stacking": new flag in save types, EFF 'special' field is splitted into 'identifier' and 'prefix' fields
  • Fixed CHR -> CRE conversion

#1016 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:14 PM

Nice work.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#1017 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:30 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.1-20200901

This release provides a couple of nifty features.

1) Filtered item lists
Fields in structured resources which provide a list control for item selection can now be filtered by text input. The list content will adjust dynamically to display only matching elements. This feature can be used to quickly find specific elements without knowing the full name. Filtering is initially disabled and can be enabled/disabled by a toggle button at the right side of the list input field. The filter state is preserved globally during the whole session but not saved in the NI settings.

Spoiler

2) NI loading times
I've invested some time to improve loading times which have been a bottleneck since major portions of NI were rewritten back in 2016. On my Windows test system improvements reduced loading time by about 25 percent when a great number of files were present in the override folder. The Linux version may provide an even greater speed boost if the right conditions are met because of some additional bugfixes. I can't say how much these optimizations affect macOS systems. Feedback would be welcome.

3) Launching the game directly from within Near Infinity
This feature has been requested several times in the past. It is now possible to start the game executable associated with the opened game in NI with a simple click on a button at the top of the resource selection tree. NI determines the right game executable from a predefined list of potential filenames. Custom executables can be defined by using bookmarks. The feature can be enabled or disabled via menu Options > Allow launching games. I was only able to test it on Windows and Linux. Feedback from macOS users is greatly appreciated.
Spoiler

Full changelog:

• Added feature to launch the game directly from NI
  • Improved NI loading times by optimizing various I/O operations
  • Added filter feature to listbox datatypes for structured resources
  • Added "Properties" button to TTF resource viewer
  • Added tooltip descriptions for Options > Look and Feel themes
  • Fixed minor display issues with transparent pixels in worldmap viewer (should only affect PST:EE)
  • Removed (functionless) "Release Dialog.tlk Lock" entry from Game menu
  • Various bugfixes and optimizations

#1018 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

I remember back when this did something. When did that change?

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#1019 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

I remember back when this did something. When did that change?

Dialog.tlk handling was redesigned some time ago. The new version doesn't lock the file permanently. The menu entry was just a leftover from that time.

#1020 LightAcolyte

LightAcolyte
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:23 PM

I made a mistake. I downloaded the newest GitHub version of NearInfinity NearInfinity-20200901.zip as I wanted to try the new functionality.

Now I cannot see the GUI even if I open my old 2019 jar file. I normally see everything in large size with dark background and light text because these are the only settings I can use to read text due to my vision. All I "see" of it is dark background with black text, or light background with light grey text, which are both totally illegible for me.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java and selecting menu options from memory inside the program. Ironically, with the new version of Java 8 I can now see things I couldn't before on the Java installation splash screens and such, but I cannot use the jar application to do anything besides open it in WIndows Explorer.

I realize this would not be a high development priority to fix for most, but would someone please help me to get the GUI to where everything is dark background with light text? Right now I can't even see to make different selections for the colors.