Photo

NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

#341 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'd like to make another suggestion for improving the usability. :)

When I'm looking at different types of resources one after another, I always find it tedious to use the navigation bar on the left to jump around in the file hierarchy. For instance, I open the item branch, then I select LEAT04.itm. The navigation bar is now a huge list of scrollable items, and I'm in the middle of it. Now I want to go to a different category, such as spells. In order to do that, I have to manually close the item branch so I can see the spell category again, or I can leave the item list open but I have to grab and move the scroll bar to get to the spells. I can't see the high-level categories when I'm viewing a file in the middle of a large file list.

Solution: Separate the display of the categories from the file list. Allow the user to see and select the categories at all times, regardless of which category is selected and which file is viewed. I'd imagine there could be two columns on the left instead of the single panel we currently have. Basically, cascading over two columns instead of branching within one column.

#342 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

When I'm looking at different types of resources one after another, I always find it tedious to use the navigation bar on the left to jump around in the file hierarchy. For instance, I open the item branch, then I select LEAT04.itm. The navigation bar is now a huge list of scrollable items, and I'm in the middle of it. Now I want to go to a different category, such as spells. In order to do that, I have to manually close the item branch so I can see the spell category again, or I can leave the item list open but I have to grab and move the scroll bar to get to the spells. I can't see the high-level categories when I'm viewing a file in the middle of a large file list.

Or you can open each resource in a new window (right-click on the resource in the navigation bar and select "Open in new window") to reduce the amount of navigation. Or you can open one resource, then open another resource, and then use the "Back" and "Forward" buttons at the bottom of the navigation bar to switch forth and back between the resources.

You can also use the keyboard to quickly collapse the currently expanded resource type by pressing the "Left" key twice while the navigation bar has the focus.

I'd rather not redesign the navigation tree unless there is a very good reason to do it. The navigation tree is a heavily customized component in NearInfinity and adding another level of navigation is an awful amount of work. It would also introduce new problems which have to be solved first. For example, savegame folders consist of subfolders, and theoretically you can put an (almost) infinite number of subfolder levels to any toplevel node of the navigation bar that points to an actual directory (e.g. "Characters", "Movies", "Music" or "Portraits").

There have to be other ways to improve usability which don't require as much work to realize. I can think of adding a popup menu entry for quickly collapsing the resource tree or some kind of quick search functionality. I'm open for suggestions.

#343 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

Yeah, I had the feeling there was a reason no one had tried this already. :D It's just a suggestion I thought to put out there, but thanks anyway. Obviously you have already done more than enough for every NearInfinity user. :)
Or you can open each resource in a new window (right-click on the resource in the navigation bar and select "Open in new window") to reduce the amount of navigation. Or you can open one resource, then open another resource, and then use the "Back" and "Forward" buttons at the bottom of the navigation bar to switch forth and back between the resources.
You can also use the keyboard to quickly collapse the currently expanded resource type by pressing the "Left" key twice while the navigation bar has the focus.

I'm constantly using all of these three methods, believe me. I often find myself even pressing F5 just to get to the toplevel categories at fast as possible. It just would be so much easier if the categories were visible at all times.

#344 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for bringing up Back/Forward. I hadn't really noticed it before.

I often find myself in the same situation as Hurricane. The ability to collapse the entire tree via a button click or perhaps a convenient keyboard shortcut would provide some assistance. Hitting Left twice on the keyboard is not convenient because my left hand stays near ASDF for typing when using NI.
I'd rather not redesign the navigation tree unless there is a very good reason to do it. The navigation tree is a heavily customized component in NearInfinity and adding another level of navigation is an awful amount of work. It would also introduce new problems which have to be solved first. For example, savegame folders consist of subfolders, and theoretically you can put an (almost) infinite number of subfolder levels to any toplevel node of the navigation bar that points to an actual directory (e.g. "Characters", "Movies", "Music" or "Portraits").

Suggestion: if you were to implement something like this, the category list could act as a filter to a specific node on the tree. "All" would correspond to the root node and the tree view would look the same as it does now, "CRE" would correspond to the CRE node, so the tree would just contain its children, a flat list of .CRE files. "Music" would correspond to the Music node, so you would see the same tree structure that exists in this folder.

(I mentioned an "All" category in case the category list could be modified to exclude categories that are infrequently used.)

Edited by Mike1072, 24 November 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#345 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:04 AM

I see what I can do, but I can't promise anything. The main problem is the close interaction of the navigation bar with the game id system of NearInfinity, which is very limited in its current design and contains a lot of hacks to support modern games. The best way to solve this (and many more) issue(s) would be the implementation of a new game id system, but this would be a huge undertaking for a single person as it defines the very foundation of NearInfinity. Small features such as the ones I mentioned in my previous post have a much better chance to be implemented.

The ability to collapse the entire tree via a button click or perhaps a convenient keyboard shortcut would provide some assistance. 

How about a toolbar on top of the navigation bar containing buttons for "Expand/collapse selected node", "Expand all" or "Collapse all"?

#346 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

Sounds good.

#347 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

How about a toolbar on top of the navigation bar containing buttons for "Expand/collapse selected node", "Expand all" or "Collapse all"?
Could the toolbar also have a very simplified file finder(that's based only in file name and have previous, and next -buttons around it) ? :devil:

Edited by The Imp, 25 November 2014 - 04:11 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#348 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:15 AM

Update: NearInfinity v1.35.0-snapshot-20141202

Changes:

• Added a toolbar to the resource tree which provides easy expanding/collapsing of all or only selected folders and a quick search feature for finding specific resources.
  • Improved Extended search: List boxes will autoselect matching items when you start typing (you need to pop up the item list to activate this feature). In many cases you can enter the symbolic name as well as the associated numeric value.
  • Slightly shorter loading time of maps in the area viewer.
  • Added two new fields to IWD:EE CRE resources.
  • NearInfinity menu uses Mac-specific shortcut keys on Mac OS X.
  • Lots of bugfixes

#349 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

Love the quick search!

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#350 djc

djc
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

I can't set the value of "none" for scripts in .cre files. It is not written to the file. It was ok in snapshot 20141105.

#351 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

I can reproduce this issue. You can assign "None", but it doesn't seem to overwrite the previous value. I'll look into it.

As a work-around until I've fixed the issue you can do the following: Select and right-click on the field, select "Edit as string" from the popup menu and manually enter "None" into the field to overwrite the previous value.

#352 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:31 PM

Thank you for this update! :)

#353 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:37 AM

Update: NearInfinity v1.35.0-snapshot-20141203

A bugfix release:

• Fixed a bug in resource reference fields where selecting "None" in the resource list didn't overwrite the original content.
  • Fixed a bug in handling special cases of WAV resources.
  • Invalid or unknown WAV resources won't disable the "Export" and "Find references" buttons anymore.

#354 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

Update: NearInfinity v1.35.0-snapshot-20141217

Changes:

• Added support for BG2:EE patch 1.3 improvements.
  • Improved BAM resource viewer to support alpha transparency. It's mostly relevant for a number of xxxxC.BAM spell icons in the Enhanced Editions.
  • Added proper home folder support for Linux versions of the Enhanced Editions.
  • Several minor fixes.

#355 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

Good job keeping this updated constantly. Wish other tools would recieve the same treatment, or updated for the EE games, or just have new tools altogether.

Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#356 -fizzle-

-fizzle-

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:04 AM

Current versions of NI seem to have a problem with parsing the (non-)party characters in GAM files. NI just shows the first such character repeatedly instead of going through the list.

#357 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:26 AM

Current versions of NI seem to have a problem with parsing the (non-)party characters in GAM files. NI just shows the first such character repeatedly instead of going through the list.
Can you be more specific? Which game is affect? Do you have a sample GAM file you can upload? (You have to be logged in to upload files in this forum, but you can also use an external file hosting service.)

Edited by Argent77, 22 December 2014 - 03:27 AM.

#358 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:48 AM

Can you be more specific? Which game is affect? Do you have a sample GAM file you can upload? (You have to be logged in to upload files in this forum, but you can also use an external file hosting service.)

I can answer this. It's definitely the Baldur's Gate (1+TotSC). The char's name all get to be null, see:
2z4bp8n.jpg

I checked the rest(IwD, BG2:ToB, BG1EE, BG2EE), and the BG1 is the only one that seems to be effected.

Edited by The Imp, 22 December 2014 - 03:56 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#359 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:27 AM

It looks like this is an issue since ancient NearInfinity v1.33 and is difficult to fix as the (non-player) character names are deeply hidden within nested structures. Unless I can find a better way, I'll probably handle it the same way as in PST.

#360 -fizzle-

-fizzle-

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

The error looks slightly different for me but that might be because all games identify as "Unknown game" - which leads me to another request, if I may. It would be nice if the game detection code wasn't based primarily on the presence of .exe files but resources. There seem to be a few hacks for detection of Mac versions along those lines already, and since I'm running primarily via GemRB on Linux I don't have those .exes lying around, either.