Photo

Sorcerer tweak -> 3e mechanics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StrixO

StrixO
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

Just got a new job and so I found my mind wandering. How about a tweak in the form of a script that catches when a sorcerer levels up? When you press the level up button, it could kick you to level 1 again (a la the SCS "choose NPC weapon proficiencies" script) to re-choose new spells. Maybe with an instant rest thrown in at the end?

Problem is, I can't figure anyone would want to re-choose all weapon proficiencies every time, or have HP float around with random dice rolls.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

Just got a new job and so I found my mind wandering. How about a tweak in the form of a script that catches when a sorcerer levels up? When you press the level up button, it could kick you to level 1 again (a la the SCS "choose NPC weapon proficiencies" script) to re-choose new spells. Maybe with an instant rest thrown in at the end?

You do know you can unlearn the already chosen spells, but it takes a few levels to have the ability, don't you? And then you choose them back when you level up.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 StrixO

StrixO
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

You do know you can unlearn the already chosen spells, but it takes a few levels to have the ability, don't you? And then you choose them back when you level up.

Sorry, no I didn't. Are we both talking about BG? I should have been explicit in the first post. I tried searching for similar tweaks, but the search function in the forum isn't working for me.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

:doh:
I forgot it involved cheating... :doh:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 StrixO

StrixO
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

I think months and months ago I played around with the RemoveSpell() action and found it didn't affect sorcerer spellbooks (can anyone verify?).

But I just had a thought that a script with a ChangeClass() action from sorcerer->mage->sorcerer might "blank" the spellbook before leveling up, and it would leave HP and weapon proficiencies intact. Any thoughts?

EDIT: If anyone is thinking about trying a similar script, let me tell you I already tried it. Memorized spells aren't removed from the spellbook when the sorcerer is changed to any class (i.e. no "blanking" of the spell book by shuffling the class around), so the possibility I asked about above is out. And since the script action RemoveSpell() doesn't apply to memorized spells (which is how the sorcerer spells are retained while class shuffling), I'm at a dead end.

EDIT 2: Any input on this idea?: What if I had a script that did a changeclass(Mage) [which would convert all the sorcerer spells to expendable memorized slots], followed by an instant casting of a custom Energy Drain (reducing level to 0) [would this remove memorized spell slots?], followed immediately by a custom restoration and a changeclass(Sorcerer)...?

I guess the question is: does energy drain remove memorized spells on mages?

EDIT 3: I'm also playing around with some specific spell effects, applied with a conjuction of some global vars and a Experience Greater Than triggers. like (244) Drain Wizard Spells, and (96) Change Class. Anybody have a brainstorm on how these might work smoothly? I think I can spawn an invisible creature whenever a sorcerer levels up to 1) change the sorcerer to a mage, 2) remove all memorized spells, and 3) change the PC back to sorcerer... but that will happen regardless of whether the player hits the level up button or not - which will cause spontaneous loss of all memorized spells whenever someone levels up, until they level up through the record screen and rest again. Ugh. Any advice?

Maybe a moderator could bump this over to IE modding help?

Edited by StrixO, 26 June 2010 - 08:07 PM.