A few odd things

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

In my install of BWS Tactical, when I start bg2 and put up with all the cutscenes etc. and finally have imoen let me out of my cell I see a message in the text window saying Imoen is losing experience in chunks of 33333 points. This occurs three times. But she starts at level 10 while I am level 6 regardless of losing that exp. Once I get Jaheira and Minsc, they too lose some experience though not as much. Does anyone know what causes that?

The other two things I was going to mention are, my fighter/cleric multiclass character can put points into any weapon proficiency or style, even bladed weapons. Some other characters, like a half-orc barbarian, can choose any alignment they want. Does a certain mod cause these discrepancies, or is it an error I made for myself?

Thank you for any ideas on these things.
I can do this!

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

In my install of BWS Tactical, when I start bg2 and put up with all the cutscenes etc. and finally have imoen let me out of my cell I see a message in the text window saying Imoen is losing experience in chunks of 33333 points. This occurs three times. But she starts at level 10 while I am level 6 regardless of losing that exp. Once I get Jaheira and Minsc, they too lose some experience though not as much. Does anyone know what causes that?

The other two things I was going to mention are, my fighter/cleric multiclass character can put points into any weapon proficiency or style, even bladed weapons. Some other characters, like a half-orc barbarian, can choose any alignment they want. Does a certain mod cause these discrepancies, or is it an error I made for myself?

Thank you for any ideas on these things.

Well, without uploaded WeiDU.log, we can't really pinpoint the ... that did all the things. But if Imoen is a 10th level character, then I would assume she has 160 000+ xp and if your character has say 60 000+ xp then Imoen just follows your characters start value because the Level 1 NPCs. Minsc and Jaheira don't have that much starting XP, so they loose less, and you actually will have more. Which is totally possible if the Ding0 Experience Fixer(xpmod) installs the component #16

[SoA Starting XP Reduction] ?
16 1] Reduce to 66750 XP (75%)

Multi class clerics have many mods that modify their weapon selection...
And Barbarian alignment has few.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 July 2010 - 11:00 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

Should I just upload my weidu.log or paste it in text format? I don't know what you mean by Imoen following my start value. She starts as a level 10 charming rogue, 4 levels more powerful than me. As for the mods that allow F/C and Barbarians more options, I didn't realize that but it makes sense. It doesn't really bother me, it just kind of feels like breaking the rules. Thanks.
I can do this!

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

Should I just upload my weidu.log or paste it in text format?

Put it in the first post in these:
[spoiler]WeiDU.log's content[/spoiler]
And keep these questions in one thread unless the WeiDU.log is not valid anymore. ;)

She starts as a level 10 charming rogue

In a NEJ game, yes... but if you have the Ding0 Experience Fixer mods component #16 installed, your starting XP is 66750 XP, so she naturally will loose the 100 000 she has extra.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 July 2010 - 11:36 AM.

#5 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

I'm confused about the Level 1 NPCs mod. I get the instructions that tell me to make sure party AI is turned on and to press R as soon as a member joins the party. No matter how I try, pressing R only brings up their generic character sheet and I have no options to re-specialize them. I have even tried by running TobExLoader first to start the game.
I can do this!

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

I'm confused about the Level 1 NPCs mod. I get the instructions that tell me to make sure party AI is turned on and to press R as soon as a member joins the party. No matter how I try, pressing R only brings up their generic character sheet and I have no options to re-specialize them.

Where does it say that you can re-specialize them? You need to install the component #1200+ to do the any of that in Level 1 NPCs...

#7 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

I see. If the component required to customize your party members is omitted, what is the point of even installing the Level 1 NPC mod?
I can do this!

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

I see. If the component required to customize your party members is omitted, what is the point of even installing the Level 1 NPC mod?

Well, someone requested these:

~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tweak weapon proficiencies for some classes (a la Ashes of Embers and aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing?: v1.3eib2
~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #3 // Joinable NPCs more closely match the player character's experience?: v1.3eib2

:to be installed, and the components fit nicely there...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 05 July 2010 - 08:28 AM.

#9 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Ok. Well, it's just strange to get a text box after BWS finishes that instructs me to start the game with TobExLoader.exe and to press R when someone joins the party, if that doesn't actually do anything. At least now I know why.
I can do this!

#10 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

Here's another thing. I took Hard Times out of my BWS install this time because the high prices of items was frustrating. But now in Candlekeep, the starting inn has prices that are just as high. A suit of chainmail costs over 200 gold. Is there another mod in BWS that affects weapon and armor prices in BG1?
I can do this!

#11 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Is there another mod in BWS that affects weapon and armor prices in BG1?

Erhm, the Aurora's Shoes and Boots v5, the BWP pdf says:

Install Component [Change store buying prices]?
100 1] Reduce to 25%
105 2] Reduce to 50%
110 3] Reduce to 67% (recommended) [3]
115 4] Reduce to 75%
120 5] Reduce to 90%
125 6] Increase by 125%
130 7] Increase by 150%
135 8] Increase by 200%
140 9] Increase by 300%
Install Component [Change store selling prices]?
150 1] Reduce to 50%
155 2] Reduce to 75%
160 3] Reduce to 90%
165 4] Increase by 110%
170 5] Increase by 125%
175 6] Increase by 150% (recommended) [6]
180 7] Increase by 200%
185 8] Increase by 300%
190 9] Increase by 500%

The green ones are the ones that are installed... :rtfm: :P

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 06 July 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#12 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

I tried, I really tried to RTFM. I thought Aurora's B&S was just a merchant that sold footwear. Thanks.

EDIT: Besides removing the entire mod from my next installation, is it just as simple to edit the big world install.bat and remove those two components? Will a brand new copy of bigworldinstall.bat get extracted to my BGII - SOA directory upon reinstalling that erases my changes?

Edited by Vampire Killer, 06 July 2010 - 01:31 PM.

I can do this!

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Will a brand new copy of bigworldinstall.bat get extracted to my BGII - SOA directory upon reinstalling that erases my changes?

Well, it's with every Setup, not every install... so you need to make a BiG World Setup(up to the point you can install the stuff)... and then quit the CMD.exe window, open the "BiG World Install.bat", edit it with notepad, save the changes, and manually update the WeiDU.exe's(for safety reasons), and then you can run the "BiG World Install.bat".

#14 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

Ok, I think I know how to do all those things except I'm slightly unclear on what it means to manually update the Weidu exe files. Does that just mean to copy in the latest weidu.exe and name it something I can remember and leave it in the install directory, or something more complicated like updating every single mod exe in my bg2 directory? I'll take a crack at this tomorrow after work.
I can do this!

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:24 PM

Does that just mean ... more complicated like updating every single mod exe in my bg2 directory?

Well, it generally means that, exactly, but it's faster to actually first run one of the setup-*modname*.exe's, and then check out the result printout the auto-update gives... as it should give you the version numbers of every single one of the setup-*modname*.exe's, and if the update succeeds or fails ... just make darn sure not to install a thing! ... and the replace the failed once only.

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Besides removing the entire mod from my next installation, is it just as simple to edit the big world install.bat and remove those two components?

If you had RTFM you'd know that it's also a quest mod, an expansion mod, and practically a multi-NPC mod with loads of dialogue too. And that's just the main component - you don't need to install the "Store Prices" tweaks at all, as they are completely optional (as the readme says). Or you can use them to decrease, or increase prices only a small amount if you wish. In any case, it won't matter if you're using an old saved game, as stores and areas are stored in saved games, as whatever they were when you first visited them.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#17 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

The problem there is that I didn't have any control over the included components with the limited knowledge I had at the time of install. The two components that I didn't like were automatically installed. I've been busy all week but I'm going to reinstall, perhaps today. The PDF that comes with BWS is massive. It's not beyond possibility to miss something when trying to inform yourself on what you're getting into.
I can do this!