Thoughts about the mod

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:46 AM

Good time of the day, everyone!

I have some thoughts about SotB that I want to share with the modders. This is of course my imho and no offense ment :)

First of all I really enjoyed the mod, though I ran through it with a party of three 8-9lvled characters. I liked the unique atmosphere of this island, you know the same enemies the same buildings but how it is "served" :) very well done.

1)
One of my thought is about Pelltar and his removement in the 7th chapter. I understand that SotB is made for 3-5lvl characters but I think you have to give users a bit more freedom. For instance when I started Nashkel mines I already has 7-8lvl party. So even if SotB is too easy, the whole Nashkel mines were like a joke. But in SotB Orc Elite and Wizard almost killed my 8lvl Kensai. :) Also Pelltar didn't mention that he'll be gone, so I decided to fight through Iron Trone and then go to the BoneHill, you understand I had to use CLUAconsole because obviously it was impossible :)

2)
I think SotB lacks journal entries for quests. I know that there are only a few of them but it definitely would be a lot better if each quest has just a tiny entry. Because sometimes one can forget about quests or get stuck and instead of looking into the walkthrough he could've looked into these journal entries. Though maybe something is wrong with my installation and I don't have these entries, if so - sorry for this part :)

3)
I have a Tactics installation with balancers and a lot of magical items removement and other things from BWP. What I wanted to say is that I started 7th chapter in BG and BoneHill is the place where I found tons of treasures. I think it's a bit too much for a 3-5lvl user to have all +1 weapons, armor and spells in the shops. I admit Restenford was the only place where I found +1 Katanas for my Kensai :) but for such low level enemies there are too much and too powerfull items(ring of air control for instance or two Intelligence +1 tomes). Also they are concentrated more or less in one place. However I understand that I'm a bit of hardcore player and maybe this question has to be asked from balancer mods modders not from SotB ones.

Nevertheless I finished the first part of the SotB and I'll gladly start the second one :) Thanks for this additional adventure :)

Edited by RYUchan, 09 July 2010 - 01:52 AM.

#2 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

3)
I have a Tactics installation with balancers and a lot of magical items removement and other things from BWP. What I wanted to say is that I started 7th chapter in BG and BoneHill is the place where I found tons of treasures. I think it's a bit too much for a 3-5lvl user to have all +1 weapons, armor and spells in the shops. I admit Restenford was the only place where I found +1 Katanas for my Kensai :) but for such low level enemies there are too much and too powerfull items(ring of air control for instance or two Intelligence +1 tomes). Also they are concentrated more or less in one place. However I understand that I'm a bit of hardcore player and maybe this question has to be asked from balancer mods modders not from SotB ones.

As Sir Billybob has mentioned before, the items in the mod are what the original DnD module had. The BP-Balancer mod was supposed to remove/replace the overpowered ones, but the latest revision of Bonehill changed the WeiDU mod name to BonehillV275. In Setup-BP-Balancer.tp2, change the 3 lines that have:
REQUIRE_COMPONENT ~SETUP-BONEHILL.TP2~ ~0~ ~Secret of Bone Hill is not installed~
to:
REQUIRE_COMPONENT ~SETUP-BONEHILLV275.TP2~ ~0~ ~Secret of Bone Hill is not installed~

It should help to tone it down.

#3 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

As Sir Billybob has mentioned before, the items in the mod are what the original DnD module had. The BP-Balancer mod was supposed to remove/replace the overpowered ones, but the latest revision of Bonehill changed the WeiDU mod name to BonehillV275. In Setup-BP-Balancer.tp2, change the 3 lines that have:
REQUIRE_COMPONENT ~SETUP-BONEHILL.TP2~ ~0~ ~Secret of Bone Hill is not installed~
to:
REQUIRE_COMPONENT ~SETUP-BONEHILLV275.TP2~ ~0~ ~Secret of Bone Hill is not installed~

It should help to tone it down.

Thank you very much for the answer :)