Photo

DLC recommendations for Origins

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

I didn't get any DLC for my first playthrough of Origins besides Shale and the Blood Dragon armour, but that was free so it doesn't really count.

Is any of the other stuff worth getting? I'm mildly interested by Warden's Keep but that could just be because there's a guy in the party camp trying to flog it to me.

#2 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Depends really, pretty much all the DLCs are of questionable value, and it'd be best to see the pros and cons of each particular before committing to any of them.

In all honesty, the module DLCs are extremely short for their value, repetitive in style, and nearly insulting to one's intelligence (exception being Darkspawn Chronicles - it IS an insult). And the others, well, let's just say it's mind boggling as to why they're even charged at all.

Keep faith fellows: It is all part of the Two-Year Plan.

Edit: To save time, some module DLCs I could recommend at least checking it, would be Warden's Keep, Lelianna's Song, and maybe if you're so inclined Return to Ostagar... though that one is a big "if."

Edited by Solar's Harper, 09 July 2010 - 09:37 AM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

If you were to buy any of them, I'd get Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar. They're the only DLC packs that are worth paying for in my opinion. I did buy the Feastday Combo Pack for laughs myself, but it's not that essential.

And since you're in for a run through Origins, there's no reason to buy Darkspawn Chronicles or Leliana's Song, as they are stand-alone modules. I've skipped buying both, and from what I've read, I haven't missed much.

#4 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

I got Shale for free, and paid for Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar. Warden's Keep might be worth it, and RtO barely is. And from what I've seen of Darkspawn Chronicles... ugh, I'm just going to have to repeat what Solar's Harper said, it *is* an insult.
Buy Warden's Keep if you want, if only to get rid of that annoying peddler in your camp, I guess. Frankly, the game's pretty solid on its own without all these misshapen growths glued onto it.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#5 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Wardens Keep is fine. I enjoyed RtO with Loghain in party (do it after Landsmeet, obviously). Not so much with Alistair. As Eleima says, the other two aren't part of the main story so I wouldn't waste your money.

#6 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

Going to go on with what others have said as I feel RTO and Wardens Keep are worth it while the others...not so much...I did buy the pack with all the gifts but Id only get that if you want to keep your party always at 100 or super mad at you all the time heh...Have not tried Darkspawn Chronicles but from what Ive read and heard its certainly not worth it...and Lei's song really depends on yourself if you like her or not or care enough to see her past unfold before your eyes.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85