Files need to be translated

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

I have found folder Language and translate it.
But also I have found folder Revised/TBL/ - is it also need to be translated?

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#2 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

Hello prowler,

Sorry for the long delay.

I made a French translation for the mod, available here, as a patch (with Weigo permission), if you want to have a look. Hence I can give you some feedback. Indeed you need to translate the files in the Revised\TBL\YourLanguage directory, starting from the English one. These files are mostly taken from the corresponding mods, so if there is already a russian translation, it's easy to recover these translations from the mods. Baldur.tra is composed of the area names for Baldur's Gate, which may be slightly different from those given in BGT. In file new_map_mods_trans.tra, you also need to gather names from a few of the mods, as they are in the individual files.

These files may be overwritten by the mods if people follow the instructions for mega-installations: first extract Worldmap, then extract and install the big mods, then install Worldmap. When a mod such as TDD is installed, it will copy its file into the Worldmap directory in order to update the worldmap and the translations.

Since some mods are not translated in French (yet ?), I kept the English names even the French files: I don't want players of the mod to be fooled by the location name difference. It's up to you to decide how you want to do it.

There are two other special things to consider, as Weigo and Erebusant warned me about.

The file "new_tables_BP.tph" in "BP-BGT_Worldmap\Revised\lib" requires an update to take into account the new translation. For the main mods, whose location names are in new_map_mods_trans.tra, there is a test to determine the language so that the Worldmap installation rebuilds the map_mods_trans.tra (used during installation) from the latest files in TBL\YourLanguage. In order for the russian language to work, you need to update this file as I did for the French translation. You have to add new language recognition test for russian, based on the location names of each mod. The lines to adapt are between line 529 and line 735 in the French patch. If you compare this file with the original one from Worldmap 7.1, you'll probably understand how to update it.

For each language, there shall be a set of two MOS files (MOZ when compressed), for the worldmap backgroud picture (both big and huge). These presence of these files in the French patch is why the patch is so big. You would need to ask Weigo for the source files (to edit with GIMP) in order to work on a layered document. This is no easy task, looking for the translated names (if there is a russian translation for them) and updating the graphic files.
You can also avoid this task and decide to use the English map backgrouds. In this case, the "Setup-BP-BGT-Worldmap.tp2" file would need to be slightly changed to check for russian language choice and set to use the english version in this case. My initial test version of the patch was using this method. I can provide more details on what to change in the tp2 file, if you're interested.

#3 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

The file "new_tables_BP.tph" in "BP-BGT_Worldmap\Revised\lib" requires an update to take into account the new translation. For the main mods, whose location names are in new_map_mods_trans.tra, there is a test to determine the language so that the Worldmap installation rebuilds the map_mods_trans.tra (used during installation) from the latest files in TBL\YourLanguage. In order for the russian language to work, you need to update this file as I did for the French translation. You have to add new language recognition test for russian, based on the location names of each mod. The lines to adapt are between line 529 and line 735 in the French patch. If you compare this file with the original one from Worldmap 7.1, you'll probably understand how to update it.

Thanks a lot of info!
If I understand right, this files used for Revised Time Travels?
Hm... You have use("%area%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "%name_fre%" =0) - it is 3 started letters from French folder? I mean I must use rus if my folder russian?

Please, check my file, that I corrected for Russian

Attached Files

Edited by prowler, 23 August 2010 - 02:55 AM.

Murloc-translator

#4 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

You understood right, the file is used for revised travel times. The mod seems to rebuilt the whole map based its own worldmap table and according to the presence of the mods.
The name "name_fre" is just the name of a WeiDU variable that is set to the text given to the SPRINT command. It can anything. You could name it anything, provided it is not conflicting with another one and provided you use the same variable name in the PATCH_IF command just below with the STRING_COMPARE_CASE test, whose purpose it to check that whatever name came of out of the map for the area (variable %area%) is matching any of the names in the various languages. In practice, that means that the specific mod will be detected (and its travel tables copied) whatever language was used during installation of the mod, among the several listed here.

As a consequence, it is better if you add the russian language without overwriting the french names. In case a player installed a mod in French, then installs Worldmap in Russian, the presence of the French names would allow Worldmap to determine the presence of the mod, otherwise it would fail to find it. In any case, the command used after the test uses the %LANGUAGE% variable to recover the tra files for the area names, therefore the resulting worldmap will use the name coming from the files in the language selected when installing Worldmap (in my example, russian), even if the mod was installed in another language.

I'm sending a revised version of your file, including both french and russian names for the test. Since I edited the file with a western european Windows, I may have damaged the special characters used for the russian names. Since I used a rather smart editor, maybe not. But you should check that the russian names appear properly anyway.

I'm also uploading a tp2 file including both French and Russian choices. I assumed you don't have any map background adapted for russian. This file includes a specific test for Russian language, in order to reuse the background maps from English. This means you don't have to duplicate the MOZ files from the english language directory, saving a lot of size for the mod patch. I tested this code successfully before submitting the initial French translation. Then Weigo sent me the files to translate the map backgrounds, which is why this version of the file is not present in the French patch.

Note that this tp2 file assumes you have applied the Imoen patch for Worldmap, as it expects a translated file for her dialog (as I did for the French patch).

Feel free to ask for any needed clarification.

Attached Files

#5 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Concerning 'new_tables_BP.tph', I might be missing something, but why does Worldmap have to doublecheck strings after already having confirmed the presence of installed mods?

Retired from modding.

#6 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Note that this tp2 file assumes you have applied the Imoen patch for Worldmap, as it expects a translated file for her dialog (as I did for the French patch).

Feel free to ask for any needed clarification.

I was think that Imoen patch not needed, because it won't download when BWP setup installed...and included in bwp Fixpack.
http://www.shsforums...post__p__441563

I will planning to include new russian transaltion into BWP russian textpack. And want to know - is this "revised tp2 and imoen patch in my translation" would be compatible with bwp-fixpack?

Edited by prowler, 24 August 2010 - 02:20 AM.

Murloc-translator

#7 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

Please Isaya, test my package. Is it ok?
p.s. I have in French language \BP-BGT-Worldmap-7.1-French-patch\BP-BGT_Worldmap\Revised\TBL\Frenchch-patch\BP-BGT_Worldmap\Revised\TBL\French baldur.tra file? Am I need it?

Attached Files

Murloc-translator

#8 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

I'm afraid I don't have the proper setting for testing the installation right now. However, I had a look at your file hierarchy and at some key files, and they look ok for the most part. Below are some suggestions.

The Imoen patch is not strictly needed. Besides, if it included in the BWP fixpack, you don't need it.

However, to avoid any problem with translations, you shall remove the "Revised\DLG\Imoen.d" file from you archive. As it is now, this file requires the translation file in the selected language to be available when you install the mod. In your archive, there is only the Russian translation. If someone who did not install the Imoen patch is trying to install Worldmap with this updated TP2 file, but in another language than Russian, this will fail because the Imoen.tra file will be missing in the chosen language.

This is why my instructions for the French patch told people to download the Imoen patch if they wanted the Imoen dialog to be translated in French. Otherwise it remained in English, as the Imoen.d file without the Imoen patch dos not use a translation but an English hardcoded string.

In the worst case, the D file will still enforce an English line for Imoen. Not a big deal.

Apart from that, your files look ok, except for the TP2 file (my fault, sorry). If your patch is not cumulative of French and Russian language, or does not mention downloading and extracting the French patch first (which I doubt, that would be non sensical), I suggest you remove the choice of French in the TP2 file, otherwise choosing French will just lead to an installation failure. I was wrong to
So please remove the line
LANGUAGE ~French~ ~french~ ~BP-BGT_Worldmap/Language/french/worldmap.tra~
from Setup-BP-BGT-Worldmap.tp2, so that French cannot be chosen when installing.
Then you don't need any of the French directories.
It does not matter if the lines with "name_fre" remain in the "new_tables_BP.tph", so don't bother removing them.

I have no clue about BWP and BWP fixpack compatibility. Maybe the people involved in this project could comment. With what I wrote, I expect no issue with BWP, unless their patch overrides either the TP2 or the TPH file.

Concerning 'new_tables_BP.tph', I might be missing something, but why does Worldmap have to doublecheck strings after already having confirmed the presence of installed mods?

I'm not 100% sure what the tph file is doing. In my understanding, the test code regarding the various translations is performed to determine if the current worldmap (the one before the revised version is installed) contains areas from the mods Worldmap knows, so that is will rebuilt an area and area link tables including the revised values and recovering the area names for these mods in the selected language.