8 replies to this topic

#1 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

What game and what mod is this for?
BGII ToB, SpellPack B6

SpellPack is a mod that deals with, you guessed it, spells. The mod introduces new spells with which you can carry away your foes in a raging whirlwind or change the very gravity field of the earth and drag your enemies to a point in space. This mod also changes existing spells - for example, you can burn away patches of a web spell with a fireball or by walking through it with a character protected by a fireshield spell. The AD&D classical spell, meteor swarm is given the treatment it deserves -.you launch a barrage of fireballs..And the list goes on.

To peak your interest, here is a link to the screenshot thread that I have been updating for years.

Earlier versions of SpellPack have spell icons ripped from IWDII and PST. These icons look out of place with the existing BGII icons. I'd like to change this for SpellPackB6, but I don't have the time to draw new icons.

What do you need?
A spellbook icon, a use icon, and a scroll icon per spell.

I'm open to how you interpret the spells. I don't mind if you rip the icons from IWD1 and modify them so they do not look out of place in a BGII spellbook. I've made some notes in some places to give you better idea of how the icon might look like. If your imagination needs stretching, I've also provided some links to their AD&D descriptions.

Describe the item/whatever in detail! Shape, style, colors...?
The following spells that need icons:

Priest, level 1
- Call Upon Faith AD&D Description (casters grants himself powerful bonuses for the next round)

Priest, level 2
- Alicorn Lance [Done] (like IWD)
- Beast Claw [Done] (like IWD - transforms the caster's hand into a a claw he can fight with)
- Moon Motes (like IWD - caster sprays motes of moonlight that damages creatures - sort of like a burning hands)
- Moment AD&D Description (caster can grant characters bonuses by telling them the ideal "moment")
- Produce Flame AD&D Description (caster causes fire to spring forth in his palm with which he can attack creatures from a distance or engage in melee)

Priest, level 3
- Circle of bones [Done] (like IWD - similar to blade barrier - caster creates a barrier of whirling bones. Restricted to evil characters.)
- Cloudburst (similar to IWD - conjures a rainstorm)
- Elysium's Tears (like in PS:T - caster summons a stream of meteors from Elysium to fall on top of a single creature. Restricted to good characters.)
- Mold Touch [Done] (like IWD - Caster infects a creature with a disease. It is contagious.)
- Moonblade [Done] (like IWD - caster summons a blade made of moonlight, similar but more powerful to Xan's moonblade)
- Prayer (like IWD - this spell blesses allies and curses enemies in an area of effect - I'm thinking of palms clasped together)
- Spike growth (like IWD - this is an upgraded version of entangle that damages creatures as well)
- Storm Shell (like IWD - caster summons a dark sphere made of disruptive energy that protects against normal missiles, fire, cold, and lightning)

Priest, level 4
- Blood Rage (like IWD - a spell that puts the recipient into a frenzy)
- Cloak of Bravery [Done] (reverse of cloak of fear - a chosen creature radiates an aura of bravery)
- Cloud of Pestilence [Done] (like IWD - the caster summons a cloud that causes sickness, coughing, etc)
- Dimensional Folding AD&D Description (similar to dimension door, but other creatures can pass through the door while it hangs there)
- Fire Purge AD&D Description (priest wards an area from fire damage.)
- Recitation (like IWD - a stronger version of prayer - I'm thinking of a priest reciting a scroll)
- Static Charge [Done] (like IWD - caster causes a massive buildup of static electricity on one random creature every turn - I am thinking of an upside down lightning bolt inside a house)
- Thorn Spray (like IWD - caster launches a cloud of thorns at multiple enemies)

Priest, level 5
- Grounding AD&D Description (priest wards an area from lightning)
- Disbelief AD&D Description (priest disbelieves a creature does not exist - similar to the maze spell, except the creature is free to aid and protect himself)
- Seclusion AD&D Description (priest summons a small extradimensional "pocket" that can hide and hold one allied creature - like a bag of holding but for creatures)
- Shield of Lathander [Done] - (similar to IWD, this is a priestly version of absolute immunity, lasts for 2 rounds)

Priest, level 6
- Entropy Shield AD&D Description (like IWD - caster surrounds himself with a maelstorm of energy that causes damage of any type to fail 50% of the time)
- Hammer of Retribution (this spell is used mainly in battles - summons a large hammer that descends from the sky smiting those in the area of effect)

Priest, level 7
- Greater Shield of Lathander [Done] - (stronger version than Shield of Lathander, protects from all damage for 2 rounds)
- Mist of Eldath [Done] (like IWD - summons a bright green mist that cures those in the area of effect - the spell involves water)

Wizard, level 2
- Hypnotic Pattern [Done] (caster mesmerizes creatures by weaving a mesmerizing pattern in the air - something that looks like this and this)
- Pyrotechnics (conjures fireworks that blind creatures)
- Gedlee's Electric Loop [Done] (identical to IWD)

Wizard, level 3
- Blink [Done] (similar to IWD, caster random teleports once each round, disrupting actions directed against him)
- Protection from magical missiles (I'd like the icon to be a cross of protection from normal missiles and protection from magical weapons)
- minor malison [Done] (a lesser version of greater malison - I'd like the icon to match greater malison)

Wizard, level 4
- Fire Aura (shrouds the caster in green flames that protect the caster from fire and damage surrounding creatures - sort of a Fireshield green spell)
- Emotion hope, emotion rage, emotion fear [Done] (similar to IWD - you manipulate the emotions of allies or enemies, depending on which spell you cast - I'd like the icons to contain a heart that matches the existing icon of Hopelessness)
- Mordenkainen's Force Missiles [Done] (a more powerful version of magic missile that also deals concussive damage to creatures near the target)
- Shout

Wizard, level 5
- Shroud of Flame (like IWD - causes a creature to burst into flame, which can spread to any number of creatures)

Wizard, level 6
- Improved Slow [Done] (can you gess what this does?)
- Reincarnation AD&D Description (this is a wizard version of raise dead - the character is given a new body to start adventuring. The raised character has all his ability scores randomly changed - the ability score total does not change, only the distribution. I've deviated from the AD&D variant that the character's race and class changes)
- Trollish fortitude (different from IWD - gives the caster trollish immunities and regeneration - he does not die if reduced below 1 hitpoint unless he is hit by fire or acid)
- Lich Touch (gives the caster the immunities of a lich, radiates an aura of fear, and can paralyze opponents with a touch)

Wizard, level 7
- Charm Plants [Done] AD&D Description (the wizard charm plants to do his bidding, entangling creatures with no saving throw)
- Guardian Mantle (like PST - a more powerful long lasting version of (improved)mantle that protects against weapons but suppresses spell protections)
- Persistance AD&D Description (similar to sequencer spells, this spell allows you to hold a single spell of 6th level or lower)
If I have time, I might get around these spells, but this is a strong if:
- Seven Eyes (like IWD)
- Suffocation (like IWD)

Wizard, level 8
- Deathbolt (like PS:T - the spell calls forth a bolt from the sky that kills or maims. The spell is played through a flashy surreal cutscene,)
- Great Shout [Done]
- Otto's Irresistible Dance [Done] AD&D Description (target starts dancing uncontrollably, their saving throws automatically fail)

Wizard, level 9
- Prismatic Sphere AD&D Description (conjures a multi-layered sphere where each layer has a special power, the layers can be removed one-by-one)

Does it have bonus factors? (+1 thac0 - +5 thac0)
What about elemental damage? (Acid, Fire, Ice...)
What material is the item made of?

N/A

Any deadlines?
Middle of August, 2010

-Galactygon

Edited by Galactygon, 05 August 2010 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Kwiat_W

Kwiat_W
  • Modder
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

Posted Image

On the left are all emotion spells, with old and my new icon for emotion hopelessness.
On the right are:
Shroud of Flame, Improved Slow, Mordenkainen's Force Missiles
Great Shout, Alicorn Lance, Beast Claw
Moonblade, Shield of Lathander (both), Static Charge
Circle of bones, Cloud of Pestilence, WHITE HEAD (I don't remember what spell that was supposed to be, but its one of those from IWD1)
Cloak of Bravery, Mist of Eldath
Hypnotic Pattern, Pyrotechnics, Charm Plants
Gedlee's Electric Loop, minor malison, Otto's Irresistible Dance
Mold Touch (I think there is already a similar icon in BG, maybe to similar), Blink

Only three icons are completely new, most come from IWD1&2 and a few from NWN and DDO.
Tell me witch would you like me to convert to bams?

icon11.gif W_GUI - a GUI replacement for Baldur's Gate 2/TUTU/BGT/CA
icon11.gif W_PackMule - Your own pack mule for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA, BGEE and BG2:EE

icon11.gif Psionics Unleashed - play as a Psion, mod for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA

#3 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

They're stunning.

I like all of them except for the white head (IIRC it is used for Trollish Fortitude in IWD) and Pyrotechnics (something that has to do with fireworks would fit more). Shroud of Flame looks good, but it will be taken by Beltyn's Burning Blood in some later version of SpellPack. IIRC IWD uses the same icons with different colours for those 2 spells, but this wouldn't work for BGII, so Shroud of Flame needs a slightly different icon. Maybe something more dramatic than Beltyn's Burning Blood.

Edit: I forgot to place the spell Shout in the list. It is a weaker level 4 form of Great Shout.

-Galactygon

Edited by Galactygon, 20 July 2010 - 05:54 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Kwiat_W

Kwiat_W
  • Modder
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:05 AM

Here are the promised bams.

Attached Files

icon11.gif W_PackMule - Your own pack mule for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA, BGEE and BG2:EE

icon11.gif Psionics Unleashed - play as a Psion, mod for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA

#5 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

Thanks, downloaded them.

I've updated the spell list, so that it's clear which spells need icons.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#6 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

In addition to Shout, I forgot to include some priest spells that already come with SpellPack B5.
Level 1 Priest
Battlefate - AD&D Description gives a random bonus to the creature each round
Faerie Fire - Highlights invisible creatures
Sunscorch - Like IWD, calls a beam of sunlight from above

Level 2 Priest
Seeking - sort of like create enchanted weapon, this creates a small number of normal missiles (bullets, arrows, darts, bolts) that act as magical weapons and always hit (with no damage bonus)

Level 3 Priest
Random Casualty - AD&D Description; Creates a rift in cause and effect for the caster - when someone hits him with a weapon/spell, a random creature within 30 feet takes 1D6 points of damage.

Level 4 Priest
Adamantite Mace - sort of like IWD, creates a mace of adamantite
Produce Fire - AD&D Description; fire appears from nothing at the specified point, burning creatures in the area of effect

Level 5 Priest
Produce Ice - AD&D Description; fire appears from nothing at the specified point, burning creatures in the area of effect
Smashing Wave - Like IWD, sends a large wave to confront creatures
Undead Ward - Like IWD, undead entering the area of effect are automatically turned by the priest without his need to concentrate

Level 6 Priest
Whirlwind - like IWD, causes a cyclone to appear the moves around randomly, sucking creatures into itself.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#7 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

Kwait_W (or anybody else who decided to work on them),

SpellPack B6 is uploaded and nearly ready to go. I am refraining from making a public release. One of the reasons being that a lot of the spells use IWD2 and PS:T icons, which look out of place in a BG spellbook. I'd like to know if you are still willing to finish the rest of the icons, and whether I should wait for them to make a release.

If you are interested in trying SpellPack B6, you can go to the Lost Crossroads and G3 Workrooms or send me a PM.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#8 Kwiat_W

Kwiat_W
  • Modder
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Sorry but it won't be me. I'm currently so busy that I don't have time for any modding or gaming stuff. I hope you will find another volunteer.

I have a favor to ask, could you please not misspell my nickname? It's Kwiat_W, not Kwait_W. ;) I have seen you have made the same mistake in the B6 readme, it can stay like this, theres no need for you to trouble yourself with changing this now, just don't do it again. Thanks :)

#9 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear you have little time. Thanks for all the help you gave me with those icons, I will be using them whichever ones didn't make it to B6. I wish you all the best in RL.

I apologize about the misspell. Since the readme will be updated anyway, I will go in and correct it for the actual release. It will not happen again.

-Galactygon
Posted Image