Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

New DLC Announced by BioWare: Golems of Amgarrak

• Release Date: August 10th
  • Price Tag: 400 Points = 5$
Trailer: High Definition

Description: Delve deep underground to save a missing dwarven expedition in search of ancient secrets for creating monstrous constructs. Only you can uncover the gruesome fate that befell them.

Put your Warden back in action and adventure through new environments, meet new characters and defeat never before seen creatures. With an engrossing new storyline and challenging puzzles this is one add-on you don't want to miss!

• Import your character from Origins or Awakening or create a new, high-level hero!
  • Face an all-new terrifying creature
  • Earn powerful rewards that transfer into your Awakening and Origins campaign
  • An advanced challenge for even the most experienced adventurers
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

News:
Preview @ Joystiq
GoA Trailer @ MMORPG
GoA Wiki Update 1 @ BioWare Social
GoA Wiki Update 2 @ BioWare Social
GoA Wiki Update 3 @ BioWare Social
GoA Wiki Update 4 @ BioWare Social
Baudoin & Bartel Interview @ MMORPG
What Sleeps Beneath the Stone @ Grey Wardens
Golems of Amgarrak: More Lore @ Grey Wardens
UPDATED: Dragon Age New DLC Named: The Golems of Amgarrak @ Grey Wardens

#3 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Finished the dlc in a few hours, the thing you'll notice is the difficulty is shot straight up even on easy (i did it in normal). The puzzles were alright nothing too easy or too hard, the enemies were mostly elites or boss and it is recommended to use a mage warden since you only get a half-mage-warrior combo throughout the dlc otherwise you should bring alot of healing potions.

The story is solid until you hit the end thinking "the hell?". The final boss fight requires to use tactics in order to win otherwise you'll likely find your character fighting solo (like mine did afew times :P) if you don't pay attention to the health of your teammates.

Overall it's an alright dlc providing a challange to anyone who takes it on in Nightmare mode.

#4 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

So in summary worth the few bucks to get it then eh? If you import a awakening char wont their super high lvl make the DLC very easy? And what lvl do you start it if you dont import anyone?

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:04 AM

[quote name='Vicen' date='12 August 2010 - 08:39 AM' timestamp='1281591544' post='494181']
So in summary worth the few bucks to get it then eh? If you import a awakening char wont their super high lvl make the DLC very easy? And what lvl do you start it if you dont import anyone?
[/quote]
I'll get back to you on the difficulty when I finish GoA. I'm currently playing it on Nightmare with my imported level 35 (arch)mage from my final Awakening save game. In the meantime, here's the answer to your last question:

[quote name='http://dragonage.wik...ak']Players can import their Wardens from Origins or Awakening or start a new level 20 character. It's also possible to unlock three reward items that show up in Origins and Awakening.[/quote]

#6 -Darziak-

-Darziak-

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:23 AM

I used my final Awakening save with my lvl32 rogue archer and found it difficult on normal.

My current second playthrough on nightmare with my lvl35 warrior who has all the good stuff feels abit the same usaully leaving just my main character the only one standing when not using potions. (he has 800hp :P)

I'm near the end on my second playthrough and it's now taken me an hour.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:42 AM

If you import a awakening char wont their super high lvl make the DLC very easy?

Actually the game makers made a few mistakes and it's easiest around the 20th level, as you can get the most out of the character then, and you don't have to kill 42 level boss monsters... on level 41.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

It's taken me an hour to fight the boss multiple times on nightmare and my team keep dying. :wacko:

Closest was running in circles nipping small health bits away only to get slowed and slaughtered by 5 boss enemies. :wall:

Edit: I just switched Jerrik stats to archery instead and won the fight in one go. :P

Edited by Darziak, 12 August 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#9 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

If you import a awakening char wont their super high lvl make the DLC very easy?

Actually the game makers made a few mistakes and it's easiest around the 20th level, as you can get the most out of the character then, and you don't have to kill 42 level boss monsters... on level 41.

That actually sounds more like a problem with the way the game itself has been designed, scaling with the player - which when thought about, isn't all that bad an idea, although to admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor. 8)

Now that I'm done making a totally irrelevant quote homage, this is probably the second DLC from Bioware & Co. that has actually proven to be more than worth its going rate. Shock, horror indeed - ironically two elements that they couldn't decide upon and failed sadly, alas.

Darziak has already touched upon various elements that I can agree with, particularly with Nightmare mode being a challenge - although the idea of challenge being "Blob Zergling Rush," but never mind that, they actually did re-introduce proper surprise attacks so it's forgiven. :)

Now since I cannot be bothered to actually do the right thing and go into detail that'll send godzilla on a rampage, I shall instead summarize my own impressions, and ye shall have the pleasure of arming thy pitchforks after.

If anything for old english butchery! :D

Summary:
  • + Challenging Difficulty.
  • + Variance to Enemy Tactics.
  • + Micromanagement Encouraged.
  • + Fair use of story elements (can be improved upon).
  • = Fairly simplistic dungeon puzzle elements.
  • = Not overly bogged on slugfests.
  • = Linear Design.
  • = Environmental aren't really spectacular, they do change from brown though!
  • = Captain Obvious is at least a little interesting... Oh I suppose the other characters are too, happy?
  • - Enemy blobs show little variance.
  • - NPC dialogue, script is fine, poorly executed however and sometimes blazenly out of place (on the run dialogue is a particular victim) - or insultingly obvious and obligatory.
  • - Talk tree-branches are essentially three way divide with predictable, if somewhat alien results.
  • - Failed Horror aspect. Mostly because someone just won't stop talking about it!
  • - Generally can get rather repetitive as time drags on.
  • - Not many memorable qualities overall (it looks fairly plain standard "adventure in dungeon" on average).

Question: Is it worth it?
Answer: Simply that the distinction between 'buy' and 'buyee' be a clear one. It is, naturally.

Man, I have no idea why today is such a quote spin-off day. :wacko:

Anyway, this is the first time in ages Bioware has actually shown they've learnt something, and for that, credits to all involved with this admittedly not initially promising DLC. It's not the best effort it could be, but it's a step if anything. There are still quite a few other flaws, not limited to, but also including glitchy animations and what-not that still need to be worked out.

Together it's still more than what was expected, so fret not if none of the elements discussed are a concern.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#10 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Allright then that certainly settles things heh...Ill be sure to pick this up soon then :D

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Finished it now, so here's what I got out of it. The difficulty level on Nightmare before the final boss fight wasn't really that noticeable, the golems were pretty easy once I actually started paying attention to my spell selection (you know, that Group Heal button).

I had one respec book on me, so I figured I'd solo the boss on Nightmare with an Arcane Warrior, but about 5% into phase 2 I realized that I didn't have enough potions imported. I didn't want to replay the module, so I just turned the difficulty down to Hard, took the two dwarves and the stupid golem, and kicked the crap out of the Harvester for the final two achievements, thus completing the triple (Reaper, Grim Reaper, A Secret Stitched Together). I used my regular Cast'n'Blast mage build on Hard though.

Overall this DLC pack wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be, but it wasn't that good either. It's worth buying if you really need your DA fix, and if you do, you can also get some new items for Origins and Awakening by completing the new achievements. The items are added directly into the player's inventory, just like the previous bonus items, but these ones are way overpowered at the beginning of Origins. Just take look at the various bonuses and item values.

GoA Item I
Spoiler

GoA Item II
Spoiler

GoA Item III
Spoiler

Edited by Archmage Silver, 13 August 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Reviews:
examiner.com
Grey Wardens
The Torch Online

Walkthrough:
Grey Wardens

Edited by Archmage Silver, 14 August 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

Features:
Walkthrough @ GameBanshee
Updated Equipment Database @ GameBanshee
The Golems of Amgarrak DLC Explored @ GameBanshee

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

News:
Review @ Platform Nation

#15 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

Finally finished it last night. Well... I was bored. It's a dungeon crawl in the Deep Roads - no shops, no going to the city, no preparing for the expedition. (As a result, since I started a new character, I ran out of healing potions very quickly. So I couldn't beat the final boss on Hard difficulty to get the achievement, and made do with killing him on Easy). Also the DLC is full of difficult battles(six big bad golems/four Arcane horrors attack you at once), and, again, very few healing potions.

I've been reliably told that this DLC has a plot, but to be truthful, I only discovered about *some* plot when I saw "Harvester" article in my Codex(and understood that this entire DLC was about trying to create a golem). Why would people try to re-create Caridin's secrets when the Anvil of the Void is open and working, I have no idea.

All areas are re-used(Kal-Hirol and Ortan Thaig), so no new graphics there. Pretty lights and special effects - yes, that's one good bit. Two of the new party members are mute(runic golem and bronto), two are dwarves whose banters mainly look like: "Don't go there, brother! It's dangerous!" - "But I have to, brother!" Dialogue - uncomprehensible and strange; unlike DA:O dialogue, I had no desire to follow it. By the way, not a single character acknowledged my Warden's dwarven origin.

In other words, I would say the same as I did with Leliana's Song and Darkspawn Chronicles: a waste of time, good for one playthrough, play it and forget it. I really wish they could do three add-ons to DA:O instead. Even Return to Ostagar, with its lack of dialogue and overly simplistic plot, was better, because it had Cailan's betrayal, Loghain's dialogue and original DA:O party.

#16 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

Also the DLC is full of difficult battles(six big bad golems...

The use of tactics isn't disallowed, the six golems are easy to beat, you just take them one by one, ignore the rest and push the buttons to get out of real throuble when the first golem falls. Yeah, all the 6 times. :P

But that doesn't make the add-on any better, just non_good as anything.

#17 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

The first battles were that way, yes. But certain ones weren't: you cannot lure Arcane Horrors one by one, and you can't do anything good about the Green dimension battle: all six golems appear in the same room as you flick the switch, and your party is stuck with them. If you try to flee(like I did), your party suffers heavy casualities. Remember, you have no healing potions at that point.

#18 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

... and you can't do anything good about the Green dimension battle: all six golems appear in the same room as you flick the switch, and your party is stuck with them. If you try to flee(like I did), your party suffers heavy casualities. Remember, you have no healing potions at that point.

But you didn't probably notice the other switch that only appears when you first turn the first switch on... that's the secret of the battle, you have to use the switches to win(and that you can actually gather the loot before you kill any of the golems)... and take the lighter two Golems out first, and regenerate your mana and use the Golem to heal the whole group between the battles.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 08 September 2010 - 12:31 AM.

#19 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

That's a cool idea! I used the switches once to regenerate somewhat, but saw that I was trapped and had to switch them again; I didn't think of doing that repeatedly. Now, that's a great idea, yes, thank you. It'll be somewhat slow, but it could work. A pity it doesn't work with the final battle: I tried to pull the switch in the forge, but the Harvester didn't disappear anywhere.

#20 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

Managed to slug my way through the whole DLC except for the last boss on Nightmare Diff...That guy is such a beast...my imported char was my Rogue Archer who is a beast herself but having the gimped healer that is the golem did not help...I also had to use most of the potions that I had exported from her on the 6 golem fight when everyone died but her...

Also I was impressed that the dwarf who is on your team to start with seemed to remember who was king and if Branka was making golems or dead.

Overall a decent dungeon crawl...Id say 7.5 out of 10

It was nice actually having to use tactics - potions and all sorts of things to stay alive. Though I id say if your main char was a mage and spirit healer or arcane warrior the last boss on NM mode would be alot easier!

Edited by Vicen, 20 November 2010 - 03:03 AM.