Photo

In my opinion, solo runs are easier than party runs...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you agree that solo runs are easier than party runs? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Solo runs are easier than party runs in most cases

1. Yes (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. No (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. Depends on the class (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

4. The same difficulty (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ahungry

ahungry
  • Modder
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:16 AM

When hearing people discuss Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 they often imply that solo runs are more challenging than party runs. I do not really feel this is the case, as an over leveled character seems to have a much easier time than a lower level full party. This seems especially true with dual or multi class characters.

I think that Baldur's Gate should have awarded the same XP per kill/quest regardless of how many people are in party (basically, always divide the reward by 6) so that a solo character could not go through the game at basically a 600% xp boost.

I am new to shsforums and not sure if this would be the proper forum to even ask such a question, but does anyone know if such a mod exists? One that gives out the same amount of xp regardless of total characters in party?

#2 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

From my experience, having a full party allows you to specialize various characters. Minsc, Anomen, Korgan, or Sarevok as tanks, Jaheira as healer/flank attacker, Yoshimo to set traps and backstab, etc., so the PC doesn't have to do it all. The only time I tried to solo was with an elf fighter/mage/thief. I spent twenty minutes rolling stats, and still had to reduce wisdom and charisma to 3 to get halfway decent stats. Depends on one's play style, I suppose.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

My opinion is; no... it can depend on the class, but as the game is made to have party, and there's really 4 basic roles a character can take, one usually is not enough.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Besides, if you solo the game, you tend to miss a lot - like great party interaction.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice

#5 dmxdex

dmxdex
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

How do i romance? I have mod installed, i just do not know how to do it.

#6 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

Wha? What do you mean? Who are you trying to romance?

#7 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

When I'm giving a game a full playthrough, I do everything, so my level is already maxed out before I'm finished even if I have a full group.

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

How do i romance? I have mod installed, i just do not know how to do it.

Well, you first have to meet the romance requirements, then you have to recruit the NPC as a party member, and then answer with the right dialog options when the NPC starts talking to you... and if your dialogs go well enough, at some point at the game the NPCs romance variable becomes active and then you are "romancing" them...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#9 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:10 AM

I think Solo Runs with the right Classes are generally much, much Easier than a party game.

You have less persons to be concerned about protecting, you get all the best gear and the immunities that come with it (man, the gear in BG2 is really TONNES powerful...), and with the right preparation nothing can touch you for most part. Getting up past the level 12 mark in Chapter 2 is probably the only real challenge, beyond that its easy.

That being said, with the wrong Classes, it gets difficult or downright impossible.
I don't think anyone has ever successfully soloed with a single classed Cleric, for example, but I could be wrong.
A pure Mage or Sorcerer might also have some difficulties without the use of Summons and cheesy stuff like Staff of Magi.
( frankly with ToB, the Deva and Planetar summons are really very powerful all on their own... )

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#10 Vherdel

Vherdel
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:08 AM

It really depends on the situation.

Sometimes a party is more convenient, but people like me, like to play solo because well...my character is a neutral evil assassi nwho does'nt want anyone to be in his way.
That and Managing a party can be annoying at times.