Trouble with Company of Eight quest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -max-

-max-

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

I'm having a little trouble with the company of eight quest. Early in the game I vistited the forest of tethyr and got the cutcene of the company. Then saw Paddy and followed him around till he dissappeared, and then found the rest of the company in bottom right of the forest.

After talking with the leader Tardeth the conversation just stopped when he mentioned Paddy, because Paddy wasn't anywhere in sight. Any further attempt to talk with Tardeth gives "he has nothing to say to you". So I messed up the quest.

Fooling around with NI I found that SetGlobal("Cb_PartyAlliesWith_C_o_8","GLOBAL",1) and then talking with Tardeth will start the quest - he says rest first, and then they go into the cave with the locked door.

However, there is no Quest entry or anything and he skipped his whole dialogue about their mission, etc. etc.

Can I set some globals to start the quest normally? I don't have a save from before meeting them because it was in the beginning of the game (I went there to get Coran from TS).

Thanks

#2 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

Globals won't help at all if Paddy is "disappearing" because nothing will work right after that. Can you post your WeiDU log so I can see what other weird and wonderful things are installed with Check the Bodies? The log is a text document titled "WeiDU" and you can copy paste it or if it is really long, wrap the textual contents in spoiler tags when you post again.

Something strange is afoot if this is constantly happening. Some Co8 bits can get screwy but I can't duplicate all the time.

What happened is Tardeth's dialog has a chain going to Paddy and if Paddy isn't in the area (gone via script) the dialog stops and globals do not get set for the next script or dialog. I can't dictate all of that global stuff if it is just going to crap out on you in the first dungeon area leaving the whole quest worthless.

For the short workaround just CreateCreature CBSTTFLW with the console if you can't see him anymore and that way he is there for the dialog.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#3 -max-

-max-

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Thanks

Spoiler

The thing is it happened way back in the beginning of the game (about two months ago) and I just put it off figuring to fix it at a later time. So it might work if I try an older save and really follow Paddy around, but my current game is probably fubared with the quest yes?

I don't know if its an error with CTB, more like a mistake on my part not paying attention to where he ran off to. On the return to the forest he was standing right there with the rest of them, but the original Taldeth dialogue never completed.

#4 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

I had this problem once, i suppose it happens because Paddy have a script that makes him walk randomly around the map...

#5 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

I had this problem once, i suppose it happens because Paddy have a script that makes him walk randomly around the map...

Yes he does and if you follow him enough or bump into him enough he will hide in shadows. When he does this he does disappear but by a MoveBetweenAreas command and he just moves back to AR2600 so he should be present still.

There could be something screwy with ACTION.IDS going on here with the combo-Fixpack + Baldurdash business regarding the MoveBetweenArea bit but that is the only one I saw that makes him go away. The dialog chain was broken because Paddy was gone as in a DestroySelf which leads me to the action doing more than what should be done.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant