Big World 9.3 Bugs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amidsal

amidsal
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

Hi guys,

I had a topic complaining about the TobEx crashing the game frequently that leaded me to reinstall everything (for the recommended pack) manually and I will put it here some of the bugs and my discoveries.
First, TobEx works perfectly for me now. The Big World Install script messes with TobEx a lot (maybe because of the new version of the pack). My recommendation is to completely uninstall it (as it is not biffed AND it should be the last package installed) and reinstall it again, following the Big World Guide. By the way, nice work Ascension 64; I still didn't extensively test it but after a reinstalled it, it didn't crash even once (except for the sleep problem, that is in fact, not a TObEx problem).
Now let me talk about the Big World Manual, 9.3. My suggestion to make the documentation far more useful to people who install it manually: 1st, color the name of the mod with the color of the pack it belongs (recommended, standard, etc), as it makes far easier to follow the instruction directly skipping ones that you don't need to install. 2nd, at the end of the mod name, put the time the mod is being executed (1st pass, 2nd pass, 3rd pass, like scs or scsii, for example); it is quicker than reading everything again and again to know if you already installed the mod or not. If someone gives me the doc for the documenation, I can help with both.
Also, some of the itens there are old and the new version of the mods have some undocumented itens (example, Tales of Anegh v20 and scsii have a new item that is not described). I can try to help with this one although I don't know which mod does what. The former is easier for me to do.

Now to the Big World Install. Okay, it don't work as it should, even for the recommended pack; I had to reinstall it two times with my personal modification before getting the game the way it was described in the manual. Some modules that are documented as installed in the Manual are not by the Big World Install (example, item-revision have modules that allow spellcasting and thievering in heavy armor that has been documented as installed in the manual but are not in the Big World Install; unless you scripted everything yourself, you will hardly know what is installed and what isn't).

Now for specific bugs:
Big World Map: Some of the map regions receive very strange names. I would like to post a picture here but I can't seem to Prtscrn. Basically the ulcaster ruins is named: "Then you will eventually face the same fate as she." Previously, when I played a direct install for the Big World Install script, all the regions that were not named had the name of some bag of holding (gold-black bag of holding, blue bag of holding, etc). Is there a fix for this yet, as I don't believe I am the first one to verify this...
There is also a nameless region north of Gullykin that have a tower in the Icon (from some custom Mod; not there in the original BG) that sleeping there crashes very often. Against what I previously stated, this is not a TobEx problem because even without it, it crashes. It is a problem with the region or with some recommended mod that is incompatible with it. Again, this happens in both manual and BWI so I doubt I am the first one to see this.

Can someone help with this ?

Later,
Amid

#2 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

Strange names:
You wouldn't happen to play your new installation with an old savegame?

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#3 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

Regarding item_rev:
Well the batch says (and as far as I know, the batch is actually the more current one):
%IFN% BWP_FULLPLATE %IFTNLS%item_rev%S%item_rev%L%0%SK% 3 8 9 --logapp | %M%
Which means:
IF NOT EXIST BWP_FULLPLATE IF EXIST BWP_Tactic IF NOT EXIST BWP_Language IF EXIST Setup-item_rev.exe Setup-item_rev.exe --language 0 --skip-at-view --force-install-list 3 8 9 --logapp | mtee.exe /+ "BiG World Debug.txt"

So your components you used as a reference are meant to be installed in the tactic version.
You don't expect to run with that 3. edition-like-rules in a game that's tagged as recommended and mostly 2. edition, do you?

But maybe that's a stance for the coloring you'd like to have.

If you want to help improve the batch, I suggest you write a note to Leonardo Watson.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#4 -amidsal-

-amidsal-

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

Strange names:
You wouldn't happen to play your new installation with an old savegame?

10th

Nope.