Photo

[Bug] Game crash upon entering Minscs inventory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Freest

Freest
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:28 AM

Hello I found out about this mod(BG trilogy) recently and wanted to play though the games once more. However I have encountered a problem with it. My party consisting of my character, Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid just arrived in Nashkel and recruited Minsc and every time I try to enter his inventory the game crashes. There is no error message apart from "baldur.exe has stopped working etc". I only have BGT version 1.10 installed, no other mods.

Content of WeiDU.log is:
// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.10 (28 August 10)

I don't know where error log is unless it's Baldur.log which is empty.

I have tried to move to other areas in game but the result is the same. Other characters are fine. I haven't tried kicking Minsc out and recruiting him again yet. Pretty sure I have followed the installation instructions correctly installation order, patching etc. My saves are fine after Beregost, at least no crashes on loading. Would appreciate any help with this bug.

Edited by Freest, 04 September 2010 - 05:36 AM.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:46 AM

I don't know where error log is unless it's Baldur.log which is empty.

Yeah, it's not in the game folder when you haven't enabled the logging... open up the 'baldur.ini', and under the [Program Options] section in the file, make a new line and type in 'Logging On=1' (without the '' quotes, unless it's already there)... Save the file and exit. Now go back into the game and try to reproduce the crash. Then look in your game folder again for the Baldur.err file and open it with the Notepad to analyze its contents, or let us do it. And then post the files text, that you see when you open it with Notepad.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 September 2010 - 06:48 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Freest

Freest
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

Ok baldur.err is still empty after every crash apart from the line to start logging. Baldur.log now logs some information but I don't think it says much except for area/position/character. Here is the content of Baldur.log:

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 5080, 3066 ) #:11731123 R:14
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 5080, 2994 ) #:11796660 R:14
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 5048, 3054 ) #:11862197 R:14
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 5048, 3090 ) #:11927734 R:14
CVisibilityMap::AddCharacter : ( 5080, 3030 ) #:11993271 R:14

The good news is that I managed to isolate the bug to Minscs 2h sword. When I de-equip it by selecting him and clicking on "fist" icon I can enter his inventory. If I try to equip the sword on him or other character the game crashes.

#4 Freest

Freest
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

I've done some more testing and it seems that the problem is with all normal 2h swords. I bought a new 2h sword from the vendor and it caused the game to crash when equipped. Other 2h weapons like spears and halberds are fine. I also loaded a pre-Beregost save that I had and the problem is still there. I don't have access to a +1/+2 2h swords to see if there are problems with them as well.

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

I've done some more testing and it seems that the problem is with all normal 2h swords. I bought a new 2h sword from the vendor and it caused the game to crash when equipped. Other 2h weapons like spears and halberds are fine. I also loaded a pre-Beregost save that I had and the problem is still there. I don't have access to a +1/+2 2h swords to see if there are problems with them as well.

Could it be that you are using an officially unsupported resolution > 1024x768 ? As it crashes with two handed equipment... the BG2 does this even in the unmoded game !

To correct that you need to go and resize the game back to 1024x768(from the BGConfig.exe) and use the Widescreen mod to get whatever size resolution you wish.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 September 2010 - 08:16 AM.

#6 Freest

Freest
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

Yes! that fixed the problem, thank you very much for your help. Although I am pretty sure that I played the game on the "unsupported" resolution before without this problem.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Yes! that fixed the problem, thank you very much for your help. Although I am pretty sure that I played the game on the "unsupported" resolution before without this problem.

Well, if it was with the smallest 1024x768, the game didn't have the problem, but with the bigger it does... as apparently the two handed item's paperdoll weapon jumps out of the screen and crashes the game.

The Widescreen mod corrects this, as it uses one of the set GUI's with black borders around the center so only the 'original space'-offsets are used. It needs to be installed after the GUI mods.