PnP Undead [IMPLEMENTED]

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

What would make disease especially dangerous (compared to poison) is that it can spread from one character to another. Now that opcode 272 is fixed, use that with a nested opcode 146 (cast a shell spell).

Bear in mind this is "PnP Undead". I prefer to not needlessly deviate from the source material and there is nothing there to suggest the disease is spread by anything other than being touched by a Mummy (or bitten by a Ghoul Lord, or whatever).

[1] Some PnP diseases can only be healed by some more exotic spell, like Regeneration or Heal. But due to the technicalities involved, and to avoid confusion, I'm reluctant to implement this particular aspect of those diseases.

This is easily doable by adding sectypes and using timing mode 9.

I know, but I'd rather not end up adding two dozen SecTypes. Especially not since the only way you have of obtaining the information of what spell cures which disease is by reading whatever HTML document I prepare (short of trial and error). In PnP you can query the game world and have your DM provide you with the information in some manner, which changes things quite a lot.

#42 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

If it were me, I'd do a "Poison and Disease" mod, which systematically covers the poison and disease effects of all creatures in the game. My (main) request for such a feature would be to do a standardized disease system that other modders can use.

That's an interesting idea. A mod/component like that wouldn't necessarily be constrained by PnP either. How do you envision it being standardised?

Edited by Wisp, 29 September 2010 - 12:58 PM.

#43 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

If it were me, I'd do a "Poison and Disease" mod, which systematically covers the poison and disease effects of all creatures in the game. My (main) request for such a feature would be to do a standardized disease system that other modders can use.

That's an interesting idea. A mod/component like that wouldn't necessarily be constrained by PnP either. How do you envision it being standardised?

On balance (and totally ignoring PnP) I'd go for a one-off stat drain. Drain something like Strength or Dexterity, so you'll actually notice. Other than the mind flayers, stat drain from opponents is fairly unusual, so I think that's a good way to add something new.

In principle I'm not averse to a (sectype-enforced?) one-off stat drain, rather than one that's cumulative with multiple hits; equally, I don't actively have a problem with the multiple-hits option.

#44 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Clearly it shall take some doing to come up with something that is fun, significant and reasonably true to PnP.

#45 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

The Dungeon Master's Guide is fairly vague about diseases; it devotes a section to lycanthropy. All of the diseases are found in various other source books that deal with creatures (Monsterous Manual, etc.). On the other hand there is a list of poison types in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

In other words, it's up to the DM (us) to invent disease types when not dealing with specific creature types (ie. mummies). This part could do with community input.

I think the more realistic approach is to make them non-cumulative (for multiple hits), but would force the character to make a saving throw each time in case (s)he has not yet contracted the disease; the stat drain would be staggered with multiple delays with varying intensity.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#46 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

About Death Knights
Long time ago they were humans. I wouldn't mind changing their "Demonic" animation into standard human's but with black Platemail, white skin and if possible, with some terrific aura/glowing. That'd allow to grant to them different weapons which IMO is a much better idea than "2H sword for anyone".

#47 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:39 AM

About Death Knights
Long time ago they were humans. I wouldn't mind changing their "Demonic" animation into standard human's but with black Platemail, white skin and if possible, with some terrific aura/glowing. That'd allow to grant to them different weapons which IMO is a much better idea than "2H sword for anyone".

Sorry about forgetting to reply until now. Being busy really brings out the goldfish in me.

I'll think about your suggestion.
However, since I can imagine there would be people dissatisfied with me for giving all Death Knights bastard/two-handed swords and people dissatisfied with me for changing their animation, I'm inclined to go with the option that involves less work.

#48 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Well, ok, but for me there is no problem with possibility of having optional component which brings them closer to PnP with sacrificing their current animation.

#49 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Hi Wisp,

is this component still in the works? :)

#50 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

Let's hope so...

#51 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

It will be released.
I've just been on a hiatus for a while. As soon as I'm done with that I'll finish up the last bits here. (Same goes for Beholders.)

#52 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:22 AM

(Same goes for Beholders.)

Pure AWESOME!!! :woot:

You can never have enough P&P stuff in Baldur's Gate!

Edited by Andrea C., 23 June 2011 - 03:23 AM.

#53 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:17 AM

Hey :o
Any news about this component ? :D
This is one of those that I'm really looking forward :woot:

#54 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Sadly, no. I had hoped to have this stuff ready for x-mas, but it was not to be.
Hopefully you will not have to wait until 2013, however.

#55 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:53 AM

No biggie, Modding takes time and dedication, and these are not ressources that one can get easily !
Thanks for the answer Wisp :lol:

#56 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:26 AM

Sadly, no. I had hoped to have this stuff ready for x-mas, but it was not to be.
Hopefully you will not have to wait until 2013, however.

We can wait, we need PnP Elementals before a serious game anyway! ;D

Edited by Dakk, 13 January 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#57 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

I am also eagerly looking forward to this component.

Especially if it will make sure to let undead be turned according to PnP sources and not arbitrarily change their class from undead to something else in order to make the challenge more difficult.

#58 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

I also give my 2 cents about Death Knights and Mummy disease:

1) About DK: I would like to have the PnP chance of making them use a non magical weapon introduced. A 1 out of 5 chance is not making the DKs much less fearsome and this would be compensated by their enhanced abilities AND the possibility of having a magical weapon that is more effective than the one they wield in vanilla game. Also, it's a PnP rule and it'd be awkward to leave it out of this component only because one time out of five (!) the player is going to have a little easier against an opponent. I'd also stick to bastard swords and two handed swords only and I'd make all of them undroppable.

2) About Mummy disease: I agree with Daulmakan here and I'd go for option 1.

Edited by Salk, 09 February 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#59 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am also eagerly looking forward to this component.

Especially if it will make sure to let undead be turned according to PnP sources and not arbitrarily change their class from undead to something else in order to make the challenge more difficult.

Naturally, only undead stated to be immune to turning should be immune.

1) About DK: I would like to have the PnP chance of making them use a non magical weapon introduced. A 1 out of 5 chance is not making the DKs much less fearsome [...] Also, it's a PnP rule and it'd be awkward to leave it out of this component only because one time out of five (!) the player is going to have a little easier against an opponent. I'd also stick to bastard swords and two handed swords only and I'd make all of them undroppable.

I have implemented the non-magical sword in one instance, but the other encounters occur so late into BG2 that it did not feel right. I mean, once you are in late SoA/ToB, you are up to your neck in immunity to normal weapons. Hell, you can even get it for your whole party from a stinking bard song.

enhanced abilities

There is not much of that, I am afraid. Where it said "or" in the source material, Bioware generally used "and" instead. Not to mention the odles of HP, spurious resistances and other enhancements Bioware saw fit to dole out.

There are enhancements over vanilla, but stat-wise they take something of a beating.

AND the possibility of having a magical weapon that is more effective than the one they wield in vanilla game.

Again, Bioware.
Source material: They wield a Sword of (5 %) LIfe Stealing or a two-handed sword +5.
Bioware: Let's give them a two-handed Sword of (100 %) Life Stealing +5.

#60 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I am very satisfied with your answer, Wisp. I know I'll love this component and I hope you'll soon find the inspiration to complete it.

Keep it up! :cheers: