Portraits, edits, etc.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

1. Are you looking for original art, photoshopped art or a portrait edit?
Some kind of edit, as I have a precise picture to work on.
Posted Image
(It's Adam Scott btw)

2. Male or female? What race, age and character class, possibly alignment?
He's a male, I'd like to play him as a halfling.

3. Describe the character's features (face, eyes, hair, clothing, etc)
See picture.
About the clothing, I'd say nothing as a plate armor.
Maybe a shirt, or a light leather armor or something...

4. What color preferences do you have (skin, eyes, hair, armor, clothing, etc)?
Nothing red Posted Image
Nothing too bright actually...

5. Would you like a weapon, a spell effect or an item to be shown in the portrait? If so, what kind?
No effect at all if it's possible (as close as bg2 style as possible)

6. What kind of a background would you like?
Some kind of cloudy sky, not too bright or too blue.

7. What kind of an expression would you like the character to have? Dangerous, happy, serene, mysterious, playful, sad, etc etc?
See picture.

8. Do you have a portrait you would like to be used as a model/reference picture (for pose, expression, looks, colors, etc...)? Post it here if you have!
See above.

9. Should the artist post the portrait here, or PM or email it to you?
Here is just fine.

10. Any deadlines?
None at all !

11. What game and what mod is this for?
It's for BG2, I'd like to play it as my charname, but who knows, maybe it will turn out as a mod Posted Image

12. Anything else you'd like to mention?
Thank you thank you thank you !

Edited by Sanctifer, 26 January 2012 - 12:36 AM.

« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#2 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:20 AM

Well I gave it a try myself, and came up with this...
I'm not that glad about it though, it's not "baldur" enough :/
Any idea/tip for improvement ?

Posted Image

Edited by Sanctifer, 08 December 2010 - 08:02 AM.

« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#3 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

I have no skills in baldurizing images, but I can tell you that images in BG are more... smooth? Is it the word... oh, take a look what I mean...
Posted Image

However, you still need someone to baldurize it perfectly :P

#4 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:07 AM

Yeah I see what you mean :
mine looks so much like a copy/pasted "photography" :/
And he's not really the halfling type :P

But I don't know how to deal with that to make it look better...
I tried this :
Original - 1st try - 2nd try - 3rd try
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Sanctifer, 09 December 2010 - 04:25 AM.

#5 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:30 AM

My last try for today (I think :P ), next to the "original"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
It's getting better, isn't it ?
:)

Edit :
For the third try, I worked on the armor a bit, and toned down the background (it's still lighter on the fourth try). I also started to mess with his hair :P
What do you think ?

Edited by Sanctifer, 10 December 2010 - 01:10 AM.

#6 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:38 AM

This is the best I can do so far :

Posted Image

What do you think ?
Are there problems ?
Any comment is welcome :)

#7 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

Hmm, I think the thing about BG2 portraits is that they're not so flat and smooth. There's a lot of light and shade in the BG2 faces, which makes it look more dramatic and less like a photograph. Apart from that, I guess the main thing is he looks more human than halfling to me at first glance.

#8 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:14 AM

I agree with that, but what should I do to make him look more halfling ?
I have no idea :/

Also, I see what you mean about the "light and shade" but I don't really know how to handle this.
I'm a beginner on picture editing, and I'm no graphist, maybe I lack a lot of elementary notions :P

Thnaks for the feedback anyway !

Edited by Sanctifer, 16 December 2010 - 02:15 AM.

#9 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

Nah, his face looks enough like a halfling. It's teh photorealism that's the deal-breaker. You would have to paint over the image. It takes skillz, but it's definitely possible. That's a great starting image.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#10 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

I did a quick 5 minute photoshop on your image. Maybe you can do something with this, if you find it useful.

336138Essai25.jpg

The reason I reckon he looks like a human has probably less to do with his facial features and more to do with proportions. Perhaps as a halfling he needs a shorter neck, slightly less broad shoulders, larger head-to-body proportion... Maybe a useful way to look at it is to think of people with dwarfism, or children. Also I think halflings have prick ears.

#11 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:17 AM

Thank you both, I'll try to work on it.
I won't be able to paint over it though, I wouldn't even know how and where to start...
But I'll try to figure out something with your picture Nix.

I'll also try to work on the proportions, a shorter neck would be a good start.
(and I'm not fond of prick ears, so I usually pretend halflings have regular ears instead. Yep, call it "bad faith" :P )

#12 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

I think it helped a lot :)

Posted Image - Posted Image - Posted Image

What do you think ? (the first pic is my first try, the "original" is the second one and the third is my best try so far imho)
Maybe the head is still too "little"...

Edited by Sanctifer, 16 December 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#13 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:59 PM

Yup, getting better. Perhaps what you could do is modify the armour to make it a size XS. Since you don't want the pointy ears, I can't think of much more to make him look definitely like a halfling. No need to fret too much about that though, I suppose. After all, Mazzy could pass for a human too. Some characters are just racially ambiguous ;)

Edited by Nix, 18 December 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#14 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:59 AM

I didn't have time yet to work on it, but thanks for the advice Nix :)

I'll post what I'll came up with...

#15 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

Ok, I came up with this :

Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image

I tried to reduce the armor but it looked terrible, I'm probably doing it wrong, I'll try again and again but so far I just made the head bigger to see what it would look like...

EDIT :
Mmmh I had an idea and just cropped and resize the picture, to make the armour look smaller.
I also did little edits on his face, trying to make him look more "amused"
I've got the feeling it looks better now, especially the second one, what do you think ?
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Sanctifer, 11 January 2011 - 01:46 AM.

#16 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:19 AM

Well, this will be the final version I guess
Posted Image to Posted Image or Posted Image

Thank you Nix and the others, it was nice to work on this, and for a first try, I have to say I'm pretty satisfied.

(Also, I think this thread could be moved to "Layers of reality" or something, it doesn't really belongs here anyway...)

Edited by Sanctifer, 25 February 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#17 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

Two Hobbits please !

Posted Image - Posted Image - Posted Image (original)

Aren't they cute ? :D

So, I tried to make a nice portrait for Mazzy, wearing some piece of plate, cause I really hated the fact that she was wearing leather, being a wannabe paladin. I also hated her face, she always seemed to me she was wearing too much makeup and about to throw up :s

It was really hard to find something that fits her head and the tone of her portrait :
I stole the armor from a portrait made by Amaurea (the blonde girl with a sword, here )
I tried to make her look more "lawful good", adding her a little smile...
And I also tried to make the whole thing seem less "orange"

What do you think ?
I actually have three variations, on skintones and shining of the armor
I like the second one better but I'm not really sure...

Posted Image - Posted Image - Posted Image

(EDIT : How can I change the title of this topic ? It's no request for [graphics] anymore so I'd like something more like "Sanctifer's portraits edits", as self centered as it may sound :P )

Edited by Sanctifer, 18 June 2011 - 01:55 AM.

#18 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

I still don't know how to change the title of this topic, but anyway, here's a portrait i'd like to share :)
I modified a well-known alt portrait of Imoen originally made by Iamotu, and made her look like a thief, and gave her pink clothes as in BG1

Here it is :
Iamotu's - Mine
Posted Image - Posted Image

Edited by Sanctifer, 13 January 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#19 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hey, I just saw this! You are doing nice work here, so I want to give you 2 tips I find helpful:

- if you are doing especially gnomes, but also to some extent halfling or dwarves, I have found Bioware made them apoear "short" in their portraits not by making their heads smaller, but by making the placement of the same-as-human-sized heads lower on the portrait rectangle and filling above their heads with background, or in the case of Mazzy, really huge hair. Half- orc portraits on the other hand do benefit from having larger-sized heads to give the illusion of "huge"

- I am sure there are artists who don't mind you tweaking existing images but I am also sure there are some who would ream you if they knew you were doing it. In the interest of not eventually seeing you get hurt by an artist on the warpath, ;) , I really recommend modding from original base images, not existing mod portraiture you think could be better. No holds barred on Bioware artwork, though. I would like to see you try for an original Irenicus!

cheers :)

#20 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hey, I just saw this! You are doing nice work here, so I want to give you 2 tips I find helpful:

Thank you ! I really don't know anything about graphic stuff or photo editing softwares, I just try little things, copy this, paste thate and blur and blur and try again :P
But I'm improving everyday \o/

- if you are doing especially gnomes, but also to some extent halfling or dwarves, I have found Bioware made them apoear "short" in their portraits not by making their heads smaller, but by making the placement of the same-as-human-sized heads lower on the portrait rectangle and filling above their heads with background, or in the case of Mazzy, really huge hair. Half- orc portraits on the other hand do benefit from having larger-sized heads to give the illusion of "huge"

Now that's really helpful, thanx ! As in Jan's portrait...
I'm really gonna do "Adam Scott" again, because it sucks now. I'll keep that in mind

- I am sure there are artists who don't mind you tweaking existing images but I am also sure there are some who would ream you if they knew you were doing it. In the interest of not eventually seeing you get hurt by an artist on the warpath, ;) , I really recommend modding from original base images, not existing mod portraiture you think could be better. No holds barred on Bioware artwork, though. I would like to see you try for an original Irenicus!

cheers :)

Yeah well, I know about that, and I don't wanna start a debate of course.
I don't know who or where Iamotu is, and this portrait has been seen for such a long time, I jus acted as it was ok to mod it...
Maybe it would piss him/her off, maybe not, but at least I gave him/her credit, I hope it's the most important...
But I see what you mean, when I'll be better at this I'll always start from original base images (or I'll keep modified art to myself :ph34r: )

I also have to say that I have to find an image inspiring... And I tend to find portraits more inspiring than basic pictures most of the time (I know thats no excuse, and that "inspired from" and "stole" are close :( )

About Irenicus, I'm really fond of an already existing one, from a bioware wallpaper (I think you used it to in your portrait pack) so I'm not sure I'd want to make a new one...
But maybe the portraits of Jon Irenicus (good and evil) from the Longer Road would need an alternate (for now, they're just regular irenicus with a whig...)

Anyway, I also made these :

Drowified BG1 Viconia
Posted Image

An alternate for Xzar (WIP)
Posted Image - Posted Image
On this one, I tried to redo what Plasmocat did for his/her "BG1 portraits in BG2 style" pack (especially teeth and eyes) and I was inspired by a crazy old pissed off woman I saw in the street :P

Edited by Sanctifer, 18 January 2012 - 05:16 AM.