Win7 x64 Problem

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 -Coalescent-

-Coalescent-

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:34 PM

Hello!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to provide.

I purchased and downloaded the GOG version of Planescape: Torment today. I've been following the install guide located here:

http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html

I'm running Win7 64-bit, and I'm installing to a C:\OldGames\ folder.

I've received the exact same error many times. In an effort to isolate the problem, I wiped my installation and re-installed PS:T several times to see where the problem is introduced.

PS:T works fine when first installed. When I add the Widescreen mod (either the 2.50 or 2.60), it still works fine (although the main menu looks awful, obviously, at least it runs).

When I run the Ghostdog PST UI mod, it claims to install successfully. But when I try to run PS:T after this point, I get this error:

An Assertion failed in F:\Torment\Source\chitin\ChVideo.cpp at line number 4322
Programmer says: No valid video modes supported.

I'm really looking forward to using your mod, but I can't seem to find a way around all this. I've got Win7's UAC stuff turned off, and I'm always selecting the 'run as admin' option.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

-Chad

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:25 AM

I've been following the install guide located here:

So let's see how much you learned from that, open torment.ini in Notepad, and copy the [Alias] section to a post...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

Hello!

I purchased and downloaded the GOG version of Planescape: Torment today. I've been following the install guide located here:

I've received the exact same error many times. In an effort to isolate the problem, I wiped my installation and re-installed PS:T several times to see where the problem is introduced.

PS:T works fine when first installed. When I add the Widescreen mod (either the 2.50 or 2.60), it still works fine (although the main menu looks awful, obviously, at least it runs).

When I run the Ghostdog PST UI mod, it claims to install successfully. But when I try to run PS:T after this point, I get this error:

I'm really looking forward to using your mod, but I can't seem to find a way around all this. I've got Win7's UAC stuff turned off, and I'm always selecting the 'run as admin' option.

-Chad

Chad, you should NOT disable UAC - ever (and running as Admin is pointless once you have).

As for your problem:

-- removed bad advice --

Edited by ThunderPeel2001, 02 October 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#4 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

Hello!

-Chad

If the widescreen mods runs fine and the UI says it has been successfully installed, then it should work. With what resolution have you installed the Widescren mod ?

Uninstall both my UI and the Widescreen mod and then try re-installing at a lower resolution to see if it works.

#5 -Coalescent-

-Coalescent-

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

I've been following the install guide located here:

So let's see how much you learned from that, open torment.ini in Notepad, and copy the [Alias] section to a post...

Hello,

Thanks for helping me investigate. Here is the [Alias] section of torment.ini:

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\OldGames\Planescape Torment\
CD1:=C:\OldGames\Planescape Torment\DATA\
CD2:=C:\OldGames\Planescape Torment\DATA\
CD3:=C:\OldGames\Planescape Torment\DATA\
CD4:=C:\OldGames\Planescape Torment\DATA\
CD5:=C:\OldGames\Planescape Torment\DATA\

-Chad

#6 -Coalescent-

-Coalescent-

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

If the widescreen mods runs fine and the UI says it has been successfully installed, then it should work. With what resolution have you installed the Widescren mod ?

Uninstall both my UI and the Widescreen mod and then try re-installing at a lower resolution to see if it works.

Hello ghostdog! Thank you very much for your help.

I installed the Widescreen mod at 1440x900, which is the native resolution of my display. I've also tried it at 1280x800, which is listed as a valid resolution on my system too. I'll try it at a lower resolution and see if that helps and post my results here. For some reason, PST will load and run fine with the widescreen mods, but once I install the UI, I get the error from my original post.

Thanks very much for looking into this,

-Chad

#7 -Coalescent-

-Coalescent-

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hello again ghostdog,

Here's a little more information about the behavior I'm seeing.

I was a little off when I said before that the widescreen mod worked fine. It loads the game fine and displays the initial screen in the upper left hand corner, but when I actually tried to start a new game and get to the game itself, there are vertical black bands interspersed throughout the background image. The character sprites are visible inside the black bands, but they chop up the UI and the background. I had just been loading it up before and hadn't tried to get that far earlier.

Here's the odd thing, though: based on your suggestion, I started playing around with resolutions. I discovered that if I use a 4:3 resolution, like 1024x768, the black bands disappear... and the ghostdog UI installs fine! But when I try to use a widescreen resolution to fill my display, I get those black bars with the widescreen mod, and when I install your UI mod, I get the error message from my original post.

I can play the game in 4:3 and just deal with the lost space to either side on my widescreen monitor, I was just hoping to enjoy the full widescreen experience. At least now I'm able to find a workable solution that allows me to enjoy your UI mod, at least with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Thanks for your help, and if you have any ideas as to you I might get widescreen resolutions working, I'd love to hear them.

Much appreciated,

-Chad

#8 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

I discovered that if I use a 4:3 resolution, like 1024x768, the black bands disappear... and the ghostdog UI installs fine!

-Chad

Chad, you also said in your original post that the GhostDog UI mod installed fine the first time... Confusing.

Apologies for not noticing that you said the mod had already installed. I've seen this problem (and similar error message) before, it'd be great if you manage to solve it!

#9 -Coalescent-

-Coalescent-

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

I discovered that if I use a 4:3 resolution, like 1024x768, the black bands disappear... and the ghostdog UI installs fine!

-Chad

Chad, you also said in your original post that the GhostDog UI mod installed fine the first time... Confusing.

Apologies for not noticing that you said the mod had already installed. I've seen this problem (and similar error message) before, it'd be great if you manage to solve it!

Hi ThunderPeel!

Sorry if I phrased that poorly. What I meant is that the GhostDog UI always reported that it installed fine in the command prompt window, even from the beginning. But when using widescreen aspect ratio resolutions, PST generates the error I mentioned in my first post after installing the GhostDog UI.

The difference when using 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions is that not only does the GhostDog UI report that it installed fine, but PST actually WORKS... I can start up the game, create a character, and play, and it looks beautiful. I no longer receive the error I mentioned in my first post when trying to run PST. But for whatever reason, it only works when I'm using 4:3 resolutions.

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on there, but at least I can play the game now!

Thanks for the help,

-Chad

#10 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

You know, I haven't tested my mod with the latest widescreen mod version, although if there was a compatibility problem with Torment --or my UI mod-- it would have probably been mentioned by others. Nevertheless, you could try installing an older version like 2.2 and see if it works for your native resolution. I'll upload the 2.2 version below, in case you can't find it.

Attached Files

#11 -Philosopher-

-Philosopher-

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

I wanted to report that I am having the same error, install the widescreen mod, and it works on it's own (with poor menu placement). Tried to install the GUI mod, it reports that it installs but when the game is run the error message listed in the first post appears. I tried to install the mod without Fonts and still the same thing.

#12 -Philosopher-

-Philosopher-

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

I also tried the older version of the widescreen mod you posted. I get the same error.

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

I wanted to report that I am having the same error, install the widescreen mod, and it works on it's own (with poor menu placement). Tried to install the GUI mod, it reports that it installs but when the game is run the error message listed in the first post appears. I tried to install the mod without Fonts and still the same thing.

During the installation, did you have a CD in a drive(or CD image mounted) ? As you shouldn't have...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#14 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:29 AM

I assume you have Win7 x64, too ? Are you also using the GOG version of Torment ?

#15 -Philosopher-

-Philosopher-

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

Yes I am using the GoG version(so no cd-rom to answer the other question as well) in Windows 7 x64. I was also trying to use a resolution of 1440x900. I also tried 1336x768 got the same message. I tried running it in XP SP3(emulated via vmware), was able to get it working at 1440x900, but trying to run it at 1336x768 produced the same message.

#16 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

So the problem lies either with win7-x64, or the GOG version (or their combination). Not sure if I can do anything about this. Try to use a 4:3 resolution like 1024x768 or 1152x864 and see if it helps, since it seems it worked for Coalescent.

#17 -Philosopher-

-Philosopher-

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:56 AM

Well it GOG version and Win7 x64 worked fine on my desktop, but it was a different resolution. Maybe it doesn't like 1440x900 or the 1336x768? The message makes me think that it is video related, is there a way to not have the videos shift?

#18 -flinx-

-flinx-

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

Since the GOG version will obviously be using some kind of CD crack, could this be causing the problem? The 2 CD crack version for instance works fine with both the widescreen and PST:UI, but the 4CD ones have been rather iffy.

#19 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

Since the GOG version will obviously be using some kind of CD crack, could this be causing the problem? The 2 CD crack version for instance works fine with both the widescreen and PST:UI, but the 4CD ones have been rather iffy.

Hmm, this could very much be the problem. If a crack is already applied, it could easily mess up things. If people could find an original unpatched version of the game exe, patch it with the widescreen mod + my UI and then try to use a nocd crack, maybe it would fix the issue.

#20 -Philosopher-

-Philosopher-

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

Cracked may not be the right word, certainly the exe has changed.. This however doesn't explain why it works on some machines at certain resolutions but not all resolutions, and then other machines will work at different resolutions the others didn't. All with the gog version.