Yagisan's BWS Beta 20101010 Installion

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Yagisan

Yagisan
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:50 AM

G'day All,

After just completing a new BWS install I felt obliged to post my experiences, and will endeavour to update this as my progress though this "big world" continues.

I chose the beta BWS as it allowed considerable more freedom to choose exactly what options I wanted with a nice gui. I did note that even though I had all the required files for my chosen install in my Big World Downloads directory, it would still insist on re-downloading a few files.

I decided to go for a rather tactical install, installing the big BG1 and BG2 mods, several smaller quests, all the npc's that were not in the one-day npc category, and the item shops that didn't appear to be overly cheesy on first glance. I then turned all basically all of the scs/scsII tactical options, to make life harder for myself. My Weidu.log and User.ini for those wishing to duplicate my install will be at the end of this post.

I had wanted to install turnabout as well, noting BWS said "v180 or turnabout need UB (component 24)." but continuing on to the next stage of the install turnabout and unfinished business show up as red conflicts and will not install.

The install system is an eeepc 1000h running a small windows xp home sp3 partition. It has a 1.6Ghz intel atom n270 cpu (so it's about as fast as a 2.5GHz pentium 4, or 1.3GHz pentium III), and a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels. Actual installation took about 17 hours not including download times, so, it's not something I'd be keen to do again in a hurry.

Once the install had finished I tried to run setup-level1npcs.exe to adjust the starting classes of several npc's but it failed with:
FATAL ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "override/pdialog.2da")
Sure enough, that file was missing. Given the last installed "mod" was generalized_biffing I did search in there for a backed up pdialog.2da, found it, and copied it to the override folder, where I was able to change the class of several npc's (ie Imoen to a F/M/T, Branwen to a F/C, Dynaheir to a M/C and Viconica to a C/R). I then finished the install off with Hoppy's "Universal Clear Fog of War" - something I dearly wish was part of BWS.

Several hours later after a much needed defragmentation of the very fragmented BG2 files finally I'm ready to start.

Weidu.log
Spoiler

User.ini
Spoiler

And just now, after a good 20 hours of setup time, I realise I forgot to install skip candlekeep ...