Photo

What's one more Xan alternate?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

Incredible, unstoppable titan of terror!

• 1123 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Newest edit of Xan, whose romance I just started. I should get my portrait pack updated because I believe I'll have a new/better Coran shortly. Coran's always bugged me ...

Anyhoo, here's Xan.

Attached Files

All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#2 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

Here's a slight edit to his right cheek. Which do you think is better?

Posted Image
All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#3 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:59 PM

New one is better, but don't you think that maybe his lips should be situated a bit lower... I'm not sure myself, that's only a suggestion... :)

#4 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

I see what you mean. Maybe you're right ... I work from photos of models, so sometimes it's hard for me to see things in the face that are not quite right. But then, I did make his eyes a little bigger than they were before (and fixed the original's crazy forehead), so it's not a crazy suggestion.

*taking a step back to ponder a bit*

Edited by Plasmocat, 30 November 2010 - 01:38 PM.

#5 Silvi

Silvi
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

Actually the lip height could be like that - some people have high lips - but the face is very, extremely narrow, even for an elf. At least it's how it looks to me... his cheekbones aren't pronounced either, something I always would associate with elven people - maybe make his face a bit more like a triangle (it's very slim-oval now)
My deviantArt lair
Team Silvivi Mods
Miles NPC

------------
Name: Silvi
Class: Witch (Writer/Painter)
Alignment: Neutral Evil
When asked about her past, SILVI asks why are you asking about her past. After some nagging she admits she always had a weak spot for Baldur's Gate, game from her youth. She mentions she had been seeking for a way to add a mod of her own to it. Now, she notes proudly, her little dream is being granted.

-----------
Posted Image

Oh, and you've just lost the game.

#6 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Always awesome to see you around, Plasmo! :) :hug: Lookin' good!

#7 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

Silvi, what you say is very accurate in terms of D&D portrayals of elves, and I may go back and play around with the portrait because I generally do like to go by the book so to speak ... but I'm a little gun-shy after my last attempt to create a more elvish-looking Coran. I got a little *too* by the book and I'm not much satisfied with the result (though anything beats the original, imho).

You'll see what I mean here: http://catalogingjun.../CoranH_jpg.htm

I'm still looking for a photo of a smiling man who looks to me like he could be Coran. Have been for years, now; but even when I find the right expression the dude'll have stubble or half his head cropped or something like that. It's hard!

But I digress ... we're talking Xan now! :)

#8 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thanks, K'aeloree! :hug:

Always awesome to see you around, Plasmo! :) :hug: Lookin' good!

#9 Silvi

Silvi
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

though anything beats the original, imho

I totally agree. In fact, most of BG 1 portraits make me cry tears of 'how they could even do that'. Xan is the worst, probably. He looks like he has a moustache.

you could always go for something in the middle, give him a bit triangle face but not to the point of hitting the 'ELF' standard. (to be honest I never considered the standards to be a major rule. I bet there are elves that don't have high cheeks, tilted eyes or a perfect nose)
I think making his face a wee bit wider will fix it. I may be wrong, it's just a painter's reflex.
My deviantArt lair
Team Silvivi Mods
Miles NPC

------------
When asked about her past, SILVI asks why are you asking about her past. After some nagging she admits she always had a weak spot for Baldur's Gate, game from her youth. She mentions she had been seeking for a way to add a mod of her own to it. Now, she notes proudly, her little dream is being granted.

-----------
Posted Image

#10 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

Here's a version where his face is more triangular. I do think it makes him look more elvish, but I think it also makes him look more childlike. Of course, maybe that's an elvish thing in itself, right? I think I prefer the look of his face where it's leaner because (to me) it evokes more melancholy but I could be down with this too.

Posted Image

#11 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Agree with the childish look. I'd prefer the first pic also because he seems more "worn" there, and probably more melancholic there too.

#12 Silvi

Silvi
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

To me the 2nd looks better, because it can be improved and seems to be on the right track. Good job with the shape, it looks elven already.

He may look like a child because the face is now small and his cheeks may have a wee bit too much curl to them. Try giving him a real, pronounced, male jaw, it could help. Also, see how the hands are shaded? The face doesn't have any of the shadow colours, which is why it may look glued on. Try adding some shadows to the face, some darker brown shadow below eyes, nose and cheek-gaunt should make him look older and more melancholic
And a question: the side of his right jaw (left on the picture) looks a bit odd (the part to the side of the lips is shaded, but the shadow breaks halfway up the face).

Edited by Silvi, 01 December 2010 - 02:29 PM.

My deviantArt lair
Team Silvivi Mods
Miles NPC

------------

-----------
Posted Image

#13 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

Maybe you could just enlarge Xan's face a little on the second portrait ?
Something a bit like this :

Original - Enlarged
Posted Image Posted Image

(I just made a copy/paste of his enlarged face on your portrait, so it looks kinda messy, but it's just a hint of what I think would look good :) Also, it seems there's a problem with his jaw/cheek on the leftside of the picture but I don't really know what it is...)

Edited by Sanctifer, 02 December 2010 - 12:57 AM.

« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#14 Silvi

Silvi
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:58 AM

Wow that DOES help a lot - his face doesn't look weirdly thin. I think the shadow on the left side is an effect of a mimic crease, but it looks strange...
(Speaking of mimic creases - they should be added. I mean he looks too baby-smooth faced for a guy who worries constantly. Bags under eyes, creases on forehead maybe. The like.)

Edited by Silvi, 02 December 2010 - 02:24 AM.

My deviantArt lair
Team Silvivi Mods
Miles NPC

------------

-----------
Posted Image

#15 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

Well maybe it's too large now, but that was just a try.
And something that bothers me too is that, well, he doesn't seem to have any neck, or maybe his chin is too long, I don't really know
Also, his ear is too high, compared to the level of his eyes...

Could you do it more like this ?
Posted Image

Edited by Sanctifer, 03 December 2010 - 04:25 AM.

« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#16 Silvi

Silvi
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:17 AM

It was a good try, honestly. Made the face look better immedietly.

I agree on the ear and I also know why they seem too high: in the original picture his face was shown in a bit top-down view, while on the remodelled version his face is not tilted in any way. There is nothing you can do if you're only photomanipulating, maybe aside finding a better face model. (I don't do photomanips for that very reason XD I prefer to paint portraits myself).

(moving the ears down makes it seem like his ears are very low on his head compared to his hair... or is it just me?)

I think his neck isn't a problem: it's covered by the robe, like a medieval turtleneck and his arms are raised up. (fun activity: do that pose - i.e. rise your arms above your head - and check if your neck is prominent) :whistling:

Edited by Silvi, 03 December 2010 - 04:59 AM.

My deviantArt lair
Team Silvivi Mods
Miles NPC

------------

-----------
Posted Image

#17 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:27 AM

(of course, Plasmocat, if you think I'm too "liberal" with your work, just tell me, I'll stop :) )

Yep, there's definitely a problem with the ears.
Maybe there's an ideal level tu put them on : not too low as I did, but not so high ?

(and no, I didn't try to rise my arms to check on my chin, I swear... Hum.)

(...)

Edited by Sanctifer, 03 December 2010 - 05:05 AM.

#18 Silvi

Silvi
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:18 AM

So I painted over the picture (it was small, so the quality isn't too good)

Can't fix the ears at all and the face ain't symmetrical because I suck. And yeah I moved one of the ears soo low XD

anyway I only wanted to show what I meant about the shape of the face itself and the shading. Ignore the ear fail.
Posted Image

Edited by Silvi, 03 December 2010 - 05:35 AM.

My deviantArt lair
Team Silvivi Mods
Miles NPC

------------

-----------
Posted Image

#19 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:24 AM

I like the shape of the face, and the bags under his eyes, nice !
But aren't the shadows too dark on the left ?
It seems weird, also because of the small light line of his jaw on the "dark side" of the portrait :P

He also looks very young, maybe too young ? Don't really know...

Edited by Sanctifer, 03 December 2010 - 05:25 AM.

#20 Silvi

Silvi
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:28 AM

The bright line would have to be incorporated with the shadows and a reflex should be added to his clothes to mark where the light bounces off on the part of the face that is 'in the dark'. It's very hard to do in a few minutes so I just drew a light line ;_; I'm lazy like that. And ye, I'd probably add more colours to the shadow-side, maybe add another light source to liven it up.

(another fun activity: stand so that your side of the face is in the dark, but allow some light to shine behind you and observe how you have a line of light along jawline)

Hmm he does look young... Elves are supposed to be ageless though - how would one mark the passing of time? (any ideas people?)

I know I added little net-creases and a bunch of mimic-creases when I drew Miles' portrait, which made him look older, but I'm really not sure what to suggest what Plasmocat can do with Xan, since he's a full-blood elf...

Edited by Silvi, 03 December 2010 - 05:32 AM.

My deviantArt lair
Team Silvivi Mods
Miles NPC

------------

-----------
Posted Image