--biff-get crash

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 14 September 2002 - 11:32 AM

I was trying to extract all the .wav files from BGII using this command line:

Weidu --game "c:\games\bg2" --biff-get .*\.wav --out BGIIWAVs --log BGItoBGII.txt

It gets to... hmm, I forget which BIFF it gets to, but it crashes after extracting a bunch of files.

I also get this error when extracting WEDs from BGI. It cuts out after extracting AR0603.wed. The command I was using is this:

weidu --game "c:\games\baldurs gate" --biff-get .*\.wed --out BGIWEDs --log BGItoBGII.txt

Is there any other info I can get for you? I need to go to work right now, but later.

#2 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 12:37 PM

I cannot reproduce this easily. Can you send or post the log and/or error message? I can't track it down without knowing what went wrong.

#3 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:15 PM

Here's the log from the WED extraction:

[c:\games\baldurs gate/data\AREA110A.bif] 1704460 bytes, 15 file entries
[bgibams/AR0601.WED] 4648 bytes, created from [c:\games\baldurs gate/data\AREA110A.bif]
[bgibams/AR0602.WED] 3506 bytes, created from [c:\games\baldurs gate/data\AREA110A.bif]
[bgibams/AR0603.WED] 2988 bytes, created from [c:\games\baldurs gate/data\AREA110A.bif]

And that's it. I got a "This program has performed an illegal operation" message, and it closed. Granted, I did have winamp and trillian and a bunch of other programs open, so perhaps that's it. I'll do it again (with those programs closed) right now so I can give you a better report...

#4 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:25 PM

Oh, and there's a separate bug that has nothing to do with the crash in question, but is still related to extraction.

WeiDU gives errors when trying to extract WAVs from the AREAxxxx.BIFs, because they're in the bg2\CDX folders, not bg2\data.

Oh, and the error just popped up.

"Weidu has caused an error in WEIDU.EXE.
Weidu will now close.

blah blah"

Upon checking the error log, I see no indication of any error report (aside from the ones mentioned above).

As you can see, it cuts out suddenly.

"...
[BGIIWAVs/FESTH01.WAV] 23082 bytes, created from [c:\games\bg2/data\NPCHd0So.bif]
[BGIIWAVs/FESTH02.WAV] 30334 bytes, created from [c:\games\bg2/data\NPCHd0So.bif]
[BGIIWAVs/FESTH03.WAV] 18890 bytes, created from [c:\games\bg2/data\NPCHd0So.bif]
[BGIIWAVs/FESTH04.WAV] 19182 bytes, created from [c:\games\bg2/data\NPCHd0So.bif]
[BGIIWAVs/FESTH05.WAV] 4945 bytes, created from [c:\games\bg2/data\NPCHd0So.bif]
[BGIIWAVs/FESTH06.WAV] 5627 bytes, created from [c:\games\bg2/data\NPCHd0So.bif]"

#5 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:26 PM

Here's an example of the error when WeiDU looks for BIFs not in bg2\data.

ERROR: BIFF [c:\games\bg2/data\AREA030A.bif] cannot be loaded

#6 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 15 September 2002 - 11:49 AM

Heh, this is getting a bit embarrassing. It seems that I get errors when the BIFs are compressed. Also, the crash is just due to my computer.

When I use AR10.*\.wed (and AR11, AR12...) it works just fine.

But still, if you could add support for compressed BIFs, that'd be cool, since I have a tonne of BGII stuff to export, too.

#7 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:30 AM

In this thread, what bugs remain outstanding?

If you can get one other person to vote for compression support *and* you can send me a matching KEY and BIFF file where compression is actually used so that I can test it, then I will work on compression support.

#8 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 12:10 PM

*hlidskialf seconds the vote for compression support.*
Send 'im the files Ghrey. ;)

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#9 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 25 September 2002 - 02:11 AM

Further testing leaves me unsure as to whether it's compression or not being a problem. One problem that still exists is that WeiDU will not extract from BIFFs that aren't in bg2\data. For example, AREA0500.bif is in Bg2\cd2\data, and I when I write this:

weidu.exe --biff-get ar0500.tis

I get this error:

ERROR: BIFF [C:\Games\BG2/data\AREA0500.bif] cannot be loaded
Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "C:\\Games\\BG2/data\\Area0500.bif")

#10 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 25 September 2002 - 02:15 AM

I just verified that the BGI area BIFFs don't use compression, and still get the TIS-extraction failure (not failure to extract, but the resulting file is small and messed up). So far no reason to add compressed BIFF support.

There are, however, still these two bugs (messed up TISes when extracted & non-extraction of ...\cd*\data\Area*.bif) are still at large.

#11 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 01:21 PM

TIS support appears to be fixed (pending Ghrey approval).

If you want me to fix this CD path thing, please send chitin.key, baldur.ini, CDx\some.bif and some file you want to extract to me (i.e., everything I need to reproduce the problem locally in a contained environment) and I will work on it.

#12 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 01:34 PM

Actually, this CD path thing was reproducible with BG2. Assuming that you actually have GAME/CD2 and GAME/CD3 and not GAME/foobar (or some other custom path), v77 (availble now) should deal with it.

Let me know if it works for you.